Im thinking 37s may be in my future

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

healthyrx

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport Night
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Currently planning for what to do when its time to replace my tires (they're at 35k miles already) so within another year - 18 months. I think that 37s are in my future. I have 3.92 gears and Im looking for feedback from people who have run 37s on 3.92. I will be moving from florida to just north of nashville in the next month or so. No complaints on how the power feels currently. Also debating between a 4" lift + bumper or a 6" lift with no bumper immediately for fitting the 37s

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Going from a 34 to a 37 is a big jump and I would bet you will be unhappy on how it performs in the hills of Tennessee. You are definitely going to want to go to a lower gear (4:56?). 35's is the max I would ever do on a 1/2 ton gas truck but that's me.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Since I had 37s with the 3.21s I can tell you that it's not that bad but I am really glad I did regear.....

At first it felt like I didn't have to regear, tons of people on here said just wait you will change your mind ... after the drive to Arizona and then driving a few trucks that had 4.56s and 4.88s I changed my mind and just regeared ...

If you were just going to stay with 35s I wouldn't even regear honestly, but to 37s that is a huge jump from 3.92s to handle the 37s ...

MartyZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 5.7l Hemi
What my man @CheechDogg.0n37s said.

I haven't re-geared yet but know I need to. I was very much against it at first because its pricey, but after time and information gathered, the boys convinced me that it needs to be done if I want my power back. (if you have 2wd its half the price! lol)

I'm running 37s on 3:73s. Its fine for how I drive but it doesn't like keeping 6th gear and will jump between 4 and 5 a lot if I'm climbing hills.
Once there is some money in my pocket again I'm springing for new gears, somewhere in the 5:xx range

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
What my man @CheechDogg.0n37s said.

I haven't re-geared yet but know I need to. I was very much against it at first because its pricey, but after time and information gathered, the boys convinced me that it needs to be done if I want my power back. (if you have 2wd its half the price! lol)

I'm running 37s on 3:73s. Its fine for how I drive but it doesn't like keeping 6th gear and will jump between 4 and 5 a lot if I'm climbing hills.
Once there is some money in my pocket again I'm springing for new gears, somewhere in the 5:xx range
That's what I love about these 4.88s lol ... it was half price first of all and on those hills it maintains 8th gear no problem with regular pedal action ... really happy I regeared lol

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
For what it’s worth, I’ve got 35” with 3.92 gears.

After doing the lift & tires gas mileage definitely went down, but keep in mind…. I’m not too concerned with that loss and not why I did it.

I run all around town and Freeways just fine. I have tossed around going to 37’s and if I do I’d definately regear.

Consensus seems to be 4.56 with 35’s, and 4.88 for 37’s for optimal combination.

Here’s a useful chart for guidance as well.

BC7E0DFF-1B3D-4BB1-9A31-9D050CC9CC34.jpeg

Power (blue) vs economy (yellow) vs best of both comparison (green)

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine

After doing the lift & tires gas mileage definitely went down, but keep in mind…. I’m not too concerned with that loss and not why I did it.

aruns all around town and Freeways just fine. I have tossed around going to 37’s and if I dI I’d definately regear.

Consensus seems to be 4.56 with 35’s, and 4.88 for 37’s for optimal combination.

View attachment 507022
I think the 4.56s with the 37s would of been good to though, my RPMs aren't bad anyways but I have seen a lot on the forums with 37s and the 4.56s and they love it .....

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
I think the 4.56s with the 37s would of been good to though, my RPMs aren't bad anyways but I have seen a lot on the forums with 37s and the 4.56s and they love it .....

Thats something I’d like to drive a vehicle with each to get a ‘hands-on’ feel and comparison when the time comes.

Once the gear choice is made…. that’s it for me.

OP…… I’m sure there are a few with just the gears and tire combo your thinking about. Talk with them and see if you can’t get a ride as well :waytogo:

Also…… not sure how freeway speed would suffer if at all noticeable. Out here, keeping up with speed is a consideration.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Thats something I’d like to drive a vehicle with each to get a ‘hands-on’ feel and comparison when the time comes.

Once the gear choice is made…. that’s it for me.

OP…… I’m sure there are a few with just the gears and tire combo your thinking about. Talk with them and see if you can’t get a ride as well :waytogo:

Also…… not sure how freeway speed would suffer if at all noticeable. Out here, keeping up with speed is a consideration.
I can easily hit 90 with the 4.88s and the RPMs are just below 2500-2800 ... but it does it effortlessly it seams ... acceleration is better than stock and the drone is not bad going above 75-80 .... I think 4.56s might of been better for freeway driving but the shop that regeared my truck said to just go with 4.88s ....so I did lol ..

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

I run all around town and Freeways just fine. I have tossed around going to 37’s and if I do I’d definately regear.

View attachment 507022

Power (blue) vs economy (yellow) vs best of both comparison (green)
A 4.7 with 35's,just how long does it take to get up to 60mph,lol.Just giving ya a hard time Socal :waytogo: :cheers:

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
I can easily hit 90 with the 4.88s and the RPMs are just below 2500-2800 ... but it does it effortlessly it seams ... acceleration is better than stock and the drone is not bad going above 75-80 .... I think 4.56s might of been better for freeway driving but the shop that regeared my truck said to just go with 4.88s ....so I did lol ..

Not to sidetrack from OP, but another consideration to consider is Towing.

I need to keep that capability, so that goes into my equation and thoughts too :waytogo:

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm looking at regearing from 3.21 to 3.92 for my 35s, just sucks that the front diff has little options as I'd prefer to drop in a factory setup.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
I'm looking at regearing from 3.21 to 3.92 for my 35s, just sucks that the front diff has little options as I'd prefer to drop in a factory setup.
I wouldn't regear to 3.92s from 3.21s just for 35s, waste of money ... You aren't going to feel the difference much ...save your money ... now if you were going up to 4.56s which is what you should be regearing to for 35s then yes definitely worth it... but that little of a jump to spend at least $2000 to regear , you are better off getting a good tune

OP
OP
healthyrx

healthyrx

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport Night
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well thats never fun information to hear but I kinda figured the quality of life would go down dramatically with stock gears and 37s. Id almost rather put that regearing money towards a cummins 3500 long bed.......

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wouldn't regear to 3.92s from 3.21s just for 35s, waste of money ... You aren't going to feel the difference much ...save your money ... now if you were going up to 4.56s which is what you should be regearing to for 35s then yes definitely worth it... but that little of a jump to spend at least $2000 to regear , you are better off getting a good tune

It's also to reduce some stress for towing, so still maybe not worth it, but more so for the camper. You're right about the price, seems to be about that even if I source my own used parts and swap them (somewhere, can't do it in the apartment parking lot lol). It would be even more I think to do the older diff and bigger gears.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
t is way cheaper and a lot less aggravation to just buy the right truck in the first place. If you want to run 37s and still be able to tow get a Power Wagon or a Diesel. The 1500s are glorified cars.