Maligators PW Build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
My coopers seemed to balance ok. I dunno I'm not 100 percent sold on them. Creature of habit I guess. Wish I had 10 g's to toss at my truck. We just bought 60 acres so some FKIN citiot didn't buy it. We don't need any neighbors at our hunting cabin. Seeing we did that it pushed some other stuff back. I'll see. Maybe next summer i'll swap back to the grapplers.

Both the Exo Grappler AWT and the Open Country C/T's have the 3PMSF rating. Nitto and Toyo are brands of the Toyo Tire Corporation. I am running a set of 35" C/T's.

On my last set of tires I ran the Cooper S/T Maxx vs the STT Pro's. Winter conditions performance, Spring mud, and Summer season rocks were the deciding factors.

Last edited:

Gixxer750

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015_2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow, you really scored on the price of the truck! Looks great. Mods for function are always cooler and make more B.A. looking rigs. The pic you posted of the skid plate underneath, is that the maple off road sliders? Where would I look to get something similar for my '17 1500 limited?

OP
OP
Maligator

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
Wow, you really scored on the price of the truck! Looks great. Mods for function are always cooler and make more B.A. looking rigs. The pic you posted of the skid plate underneath, is that the maple off road sliders? Where would I look to get something similar for my '17 1500 limited?

Thats the Dethloff trans skid, the sliders are the "side steps" theyre made of .188 and .120 dom steel thats bolted to the frame. I believe Marcus at Dethloff mfg is working on 4th gen skids but im not positive. I know he just wrapped up development on the 1500 19'+ skids bc of theyre plastic trans pan.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Fitzreefer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7 L
Thats the Dethloff trans skid, the sliders are the "side steps" theyre made of .188 and .120 dom steel thats bolted to the frame. I believe Marcus at Dethloff mfg is working on 4th gen skids but im not positive. I know he just wrapped up development on the 1500 19'+ skids bc of theyre plastic trans pan.

I have pestered Marcus for a while to produce an early 4th gen tranny skid ( for the 4 link models like mine). He def produces the late 4th gen ( when Ram moved to radius arms). Apparently there are different clearances between the two. I would snap one up in a heartbeat if it was available for my '13.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have pestered Marcus for a while to produce an early 4th gen tranny skid ( for the 4 link models like mine). He def produces the late 4th gen ( when Ram moved to radius arms). Apparently there are different clearances between the two. I would snap one up in a heartbeat if it was available for my '13.

A ‘13...I really like that year wagon. Still has the 4.56 gears, but the new interior.

OP
OP
Maligator

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7

Damn i didn't even realize he didn't have them for the early 4th gens. The other guy was asking about 4th gen 1500 skid which i don't think he makes yet.

Marcus needs to get you early 4gens covered, literally...lol

Fitzreefer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7 L
Damn i didn't even realize he didn't have them for the early 4th gens. The other guy was asking about 4th gen 1500 skid which i don't think he makes yet.

I agree. There would be multiple buys quickly, but more importantly as a Dethloff brand, it would be a goodwill move to the Ram guys to extend that support to us. As he described this is a weak point for our rigs. While he's at it, do it for the 3rd gens, too. I really like what he does, and his support for the brand. We need his extended support.

Fitzreefer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7 L
A ‘13...I really like that year wagon. Still has the 4.56 gears, but the new interior.
The unicorn year. Last year for leaf spring and higher load ratings, first year for the new 6 speed, first year for the new Borg Warner transfer case. Last year for 4.56 gears I love this truck. I think the rear springs flex more than the coils. I know first hand by the fender damage I got before moving the rear axle back 1.5".

OP
OP
Maligator

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
Also, PA voted overwhelming red. Those ******* are stealing the election. Cheaters.

I thoroughly blame philly...lol

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Too true on the skids @Fitzreefer mine’s a 12 and I’d kill for one of Dethloff skids. I’m actually working with a Guy right now that builds Oval track race car frames.
Most of the racing was cancelled this year so I’ll check back with him after the Holidays. He’s talked about a complete underbelly from tranny back. I’ll see what he can come up with and price point. The nice thing is he has all the tube bending equipment you could ever think of. We’ve got a lot of talented builders and Welder’s in the area and they took a hit like everyone with this damn Covid and are itching for work.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The unicorn year. Last year for leaf spring and higher load ratings, first year for the new 6 speed, first year for the new Borg Warner transfer case. Last year for 4.56 gears I love this truck. I think the rear springs flex more than the coils. I know first hand by the fender damage I got before moving the rear axle back 1.5".

Yea I agree...the 5-link/rear leaf wagons seem to flex quite a bit better than the all coil/radius arm wagons.

****, getting off course here. Sorry maligator!

Fitzreefer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7 L
Too true on the skids @Fitzreefer mine’s a 12 and I’d kill for one of Dethloff skids. I’m actually working with a Guy right now that builds Oval track race car frames.
Most of the racing was cancelled this year so I’ll check back with him after the Holidays. He’s talked about a complete underbelly from tranny back. I’ll see what he can come up with and price point. The nice thing is he has all the tube bending equipment you could ever think of. We’ve got a lot of talented builders and Welder’s in the area and they took a hit like everyone with this damn Covid and are itching for work.
I would def be interested in obtaining one of these. Please keep in touch.[emoji106]

OP
OP
Maligator

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
Yea I agree...the 5-link/rear leaf wagons seem to flex quite a bit better than the all coil/radius arm wagons.

****, getting off course here. Sorry maligator!

Its all good, I like the flow of info!

Gixxer750

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015_2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7

"...Covered" ah ha ha:happy175:

OP
OP
Maligator

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
well Ive decided im moving in a different direction with my roof rack storage and lighting. The roof rack setup is coming down and the roof will be naked for the foreseeable future. Recovery gear will be put into a swing case in the bed and I've just ordered all new lighting to replace the rigids in the roof rack. I bit the bullet and went with a pair of Baja Designs XL80s in amber with the driving combo lens mounted on zroadz pillar mounts.

https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/xl80-pair-driving-combo-amber.asp

https://zroadz.com/i-23910116-ram-h...mount-2-3-inch-led-pod-lights-pn-z364521.html

OP
OP
Maligator

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
Updated my rocker switches for this auxbeam spod knockoff. So far so good, i like it. Nice and easy install and really cleans up the wiring. I still have alot but it looks light years better than it did...did i metion I hate electrical ****...lol and yes my engine bay is filthy ripping muddy roads will do this...lol I also removed my roof rack and getting it ready for its next owner. Baja lights will be here tmmrw

I think thuren rear springs and endlinks are next
or Baja 20" Light bar to replace my auxbeam bar

even though i was gonna ditch the roof rack completely I do like the look of having one but I really wanted something lower profile and not be a "box". The rhino rack pioneer platform is calling my name.

Got some debt to pay down and then gonna try and spring for some big stuff this summer[emoji1696][emoji1696]

0053e21f08fb6d06ce6099007113f557.jpg
be531c714fc276f6cc2e7d40fc8262cf.jpg

a3247dae0658d64cbc26cfd1eba6bfef.jpg

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Holy **** yea a little dirty under there eh lol

Keep it up, looking good!

OP
OP
Maligator

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
I finally got finished installing my Baja XL80s driving combo lens with the Zroadz pillar light brackets. For those wondering the zroadz brackets and XL combo do work with the AEV snorkel. I have probably about 1/64" of clearance between the light snd snorkel when the hood is up but clearance is clearance. Super impressed with the bajas. The pics dont really do them justice they really shine when you are driving they literally light up all thr gaps that the low/high beams miss They also just pretty much drown out the highs and lows anyway. I have a set of clear spot lenses coming as well to compare and have different options for different trail conditions.

First Illumination pic is lows and bajas second is my DDM 55 watt HID low beamsc279abc65379895ef902671756fa77b0.jpga4b46cd878ccfc95a6d3399fd16d0a4e.jpg4854eb2e775710d49d6102fc48ca6bba.jpg3cd51021aa4985351d80badec9953e02.jpg000a3c5006d42671818eac56d22fa73a.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357