In the market to buy a towing hitch for a 2019 Ram Classic Hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lryr1955

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Any recommendations on a simple hitch. I will be towing the largest Uhaul Trailer. Is a ball attached to bumper enough to handle it or should I buy a frame mounted hitch with a 6000 lb capacity?

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Any recommendations on a simple hitch. I will be towing the largest Uhaul Trailer. Is a ball attached to bumper enough to handle it or should I buy a frame mounted hitch with a 6000 lb capacity?
Do you already have the receiver and only need a ball and ball mount? The largest U-haul trailer is a 12'x6' enclosed cargo trailer. Unless you plan on stuffing it with lead bricks, you have plenty of capacity and all you need is a Class IV receiver with a 7500# ball mount and ball. I doubt you will need electric brakes, but we need to know the total weight - including the trailer - you will be towing. That's called the trailer's GVWR.

Whatever you do, don't tow it with a bumper-mounted ball.

Last edited:

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
You will never regret buying a good Class III or Class IV hitch and having it installed. A ball on the bumper limits you to one height, and you'll likely never tow a trailer that will be level. With a good hitch receiver (even an inexpensive Curt one), you open yourself up to properly adjusted ball heights that keep your trailer close to level.

There are also accessories you can buy at that point, including a step, winch mount, or toilet seat.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You will never regret buying a good Class III or Class IV hitch and having it installed. A ball on the bumper limits you to one height, and you'll likely never tow a trailer that will be level. With a good hitch receiver (even an inexpensive Curt one), you open yourself up to properly adjusted ball heights that keep your trailer close to level.

There are also accessories you can buy at that point, including a step, winch mount, or toilet seat.
The OP would be pushing it with only a Class III receiver. They need a Class IV for the safety margin.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
The OP would be pushing it with only a Class III receiver. They need a Class IV for the safety margin.
Depends on how much they're towing, I wouldn't personally buy a Class III but if they're staying under 5k a Class III would be adequate.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Depends on how much they're towing, I wouldn't personally buy a Class III but if they're staying under 5k a Class III would be adequate.
Yes, all they said was they would be towing the "largest U-haul trailer", but not whether it is the larget utility or cargo type. The largest open utility trailer has a GVWR of 6000#, and the largest enclosed cargo trailer is 4400#. If it's the cargo trailer, and they stay within the GVWR, then a Class III will be OK. If it's the utility trailer, I'd go with Class IV.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Check out the site weigh safe.com---they have great products for towing.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Check out the Etrailer website

Class 5 is for 3/4 ton & above

Class 4 is what they put on at the assembly plant

dealerships cheap out & will try selling a Class 3, many times is you haul a trailer without Electric Brakes with a car hauler.
You will be saying, what was that, should i pull over, what was that noise

zrock

Reaction score
Unless things have changed all uhaul trailers come with serge brakes

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Class IV Stock OEM receiver hitch setup. You can buy and install yourself. If you do not have TT controls, get OEM TT controls put in and flashed also. That will have you set to go. Then after that, buy at least a 7500 lb hitch and ball setup, so you be within setup ranges. The reason I say electrics. TT controls depending upon where you are, state laws require electric brakes on dual axles and you gonna want to have all the TT controls and sway units activated, so U stay away from white knuckle driving. ALL IMHO...

CLICK on link below, it says Robot Human disregard that and click on LINK. NOTE: U will also probably have to have trailer wire flashed for BCM. Since you did not say which trim level U got, I just went with Bighorn. U may have to go on that link and change trim to insure fit if you do not have a Bighorn.

Last edited:

PJ_Shamrock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I realize I'm a little late here... I have a 19 Classic Tradesman HEMI Crew, 6' bed. Installed a Reese 44603 (Amazon says it wont fit: ignore it) and moved my kid from North Dallas area TX to Western Massachusetts hauling a packed to the roof 12 x 6 U Haul trailer (loaded nose-heavy). Used an aluminum adjustable drop hitch (10,000# rating) and had zero issues. Other than not being able to use my rearview mirror, I didn't know it was there. The U Hauls do not have electric brakes.

gypsy400

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If your truck just has the V6, a class 3 will be sufficient. You can Install it yourself as it's not rocket appliances.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If your truck just has the V6, a class 3 will be sufficient. You can Install it yourself as it's not rocket appliances.
No, the engine size is moot. It's the towing capacity that dictates what class hitch he needs. But all our answers are also moot, since the OP hasn't been back since his original post a week ago.

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
CHECK with your supplier ( an auto parts store: napa , orielly, auto zone etc. or Uhaul themselves (they most of them install also) before you buy. Class three appears to be what you "need". But I put a class 5 on my 1500!!!! BUT it was $60 less than a class 3 and $125 less than a class 4!! It required two extra bolts ( which usually comes with the hitch). My parts store O'Reilly's had one that had been in there location way too long. They sold it to me at their cost to get rid of it, unused still in the box. If I pull the 12,000 lbs. it is rated for - it will stay attached to the truck not matter where it is parked after the engine, trans., or rear axle fails. Doesn't take up any more space under the truck, and now I can (if I am foolish enough to) pull more that the truck is rated for. you only pull what your "package is rated for. But that doesn't mean you can't pay less for more capability. as I can also pull a 200 lb. trailer! If i remember it was $227 for the Class 5 April or so of 2023. In the box - I put it on.

Last edited:

truck2569

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check out e-trailer if you haven't bought one yet they have all the name brands and you can compare them.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat