Inside of Wheel Cleaning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbsmithram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So my new ram's wheels are pretty dirty - the inside of them. I told the dealership to not worry about washing the vehicle before delivery, and this is the way it came.

What should I use to clean this...do I need to pull each wheel (I really don't want to -- I think I'd rather just lay under the truck and clean it)

I was thinking of using Mother's Wheel and Tire cleaner but I've heard that doesn't go far (one 24oz bottle for 4 wheels)

7NZLfSPd83mqihUK

axemann030773

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I find you get better results using dish detergent since it breaks down all the dirt and grime and i just lay down that way i can inspect the underside of my rig. Cheaper also, then i use the various wet look products for the shine factor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

jbsmithram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
^^so your just laying under the truck...that's what I was thinking of doing?

axemann030773

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep works great like that. If you are anything like me i like to get it all clean and aside from pulling the rims/tires its the best way. Also you can look at the parts you don't normally see i found 3 loose bolts on the front lower shroud the other day when i was cleaning mine

OP
OP
J

jbsmithram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I still may try a dedicated wheel cleaner though as I hear dish detergent could be too harsh on a vehicle...but then again so is brake dust and I'm also assuming wheel and tire cleaners are pretty strong....

So hopefully some more will come along and provide their insight.

Thanks!

axemann030773

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your most welcome. My wife bought me the dish detergent they use to clean up the oil slick animals i told her the same thing she said if it doesn't hurt the little duckies its not going to hurt my baby either lol

BlkExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Black Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
been using grease lighting for yrs cleaning inside of wheels

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had the wheels off Dad's '14 Big Horn this weekend to install the Mopar flaps.
I washed with Simple Green / soft brush and waxed em up good.

Certainly won't be a end all / cure all, but they are way better than they have been!

LovMyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QCSB Black Edition, 2014 RCSB.
Engine
Adams make a awesome wheel and tire cleaner. There're also items called "wheel woollies" that bend and flex to reach those areas. I just use a microfiber hand MIT and woollies to get back behind the spokes. I'm complete OCD and every other wash I jack my truck up, leave her on stands, pull the rims off and clean all the accessible suspension items and rims. She gets clean though :)

parttimer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use these for pretty much all my details. Speed Master Two Brush Combo, wheel brushes, detailing brush, auto detail brush

Some call them splatter master brushes because if you pull them out too fast the sling splatter all over over. The technique I use seems to reduce the splatter. I push the brush all the way in and scrub. During removal move the brush in a circular pattern to to clean the edges of the wheels as well and it keeps spatter down. Wheel woolies are next on my list to get as well.

For your cleaner the Eagle one tire/wheel cleaner is great. I use Sonax Full Effect, Wolfgang Uber or megs wheel brite depending on what I am dealing with. Most times Sonax/wolfgang does the job. Any residual "bronzing" I will douse with WB and scrub rinse.

Last edited:

Lobster Poutine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the wheels dont look bad enough for a dedicated wheel cleaner IMO.

id get under there with some brushes, and clean up good.

wax or sealant is a good step now too.

if your going to pull then wheels, and do them right, get opti coat. youll never need anything more than your regular shampoo to clean them.

OP
OP
J

jbsmithram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I didn't pull them but I did lay under there with regular car wash soap and a rag... Didn't get all of it off but most.

soldiercowboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l 4x4 Tradesman crew cab
A good presssure washer works just use the 40 or 25 degree tip the claner and washer tip so you don't take the chrome plating off your rims
Jack

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Surf City Garage

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I love my Wheel Woolies! My father stole my set, so I had to get a second (good thing I have them in stock!). I like the Adam's old 3 piece set.

Also, Adam's makes a product called Deep Wheel Cleaner, which reacts with brake dust and breaks it down. It will change color as it works, so you know when the deposits have been lifted.

pegga

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Clean them good and clear coat them .....works great never have a problem again ... grime washes out....and I use ceramic pads....no metal bits

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I start from day 1 and just use water and a rag. Once or twice a week keeps them like new.