Install question about Kicker Key180.4 amp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Silverfish

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am about to install the Kicker Key180.4 amp and I'm a little confused as to how to wire the speakers into it. I'm assuming the best method is the tie into the factory speaker wires behind the head unit? And if so do I cut the wires coming out of the head unit and just wire them to the input wires of the Key amp or do I tap into them so that they are still hooked to the factory head unit and to the Key amp at the same time?

For reference I've already changed out the factory door speakers to aftermarket speakers. And I have the 8.4 factory head unit with base audio. I do not have the factory Alpine system. 2016 Ram 1500 crew cab

Thanks in advance for any help you can give on this!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Silverfish

Silverfish

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After thinking about this just a little bit I think I've answered my own question. I will need to just tap into the factory speakers wires not cut them. Since there are no other signal outputs on the factory head unit there would be no way for the amp to get signal from the head unit. I was just confused I guess since I've never done a high level input install with an amp. Only old school type applications with RCA low level inputs. I could still be wrong though so someone correct me if I am please.

Ecofx86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
you can just tap rear speakers , should be able to get to them by the b pillar

OP
OP
Silverfish

Silverfish

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
you can just tap rear speakers , should be able to get to them by the b pillar

What about the front speakers? How would the amp get power to those? This amp is for all the door speakers front and back.

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some amps are signal sensing so no need for a blue wire.

Unfortunately my kicker 300.1 wouldn't stay on and kicker tech didn't help I had to buy a cheap scoche adaptor and power it from the amp.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Ecofx86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
What about the front speakers? How would the amp get power to those? This amp is for all the door speakers front and back.

Tap signal from rears, Run new wire from amp to doors.

or
u can buy Harness from net audio and hook it up behind the deck.

Ecofx86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
did u change the dash speaker? u going to amp just the door speakers and leave dash alone?

OP
OP
Silverfish

Silverfish

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think I’m probably over thinking this deal. It’s just been quite a few years since I’ve messed with any type of amp install so I’m a little rusty. And I’ve never messed with any of these new factory style radios before. Just aftermarket head units. I’m sure I’ll get it figured out once I get started. Just looking for any advice or tips I guess lol.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Watching this...
Replacing oem dash/door speakers this weekend...just started researching an amp, but am going to see how the upgrades sound first...

OP
OP
Silverfish

Silverfish

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I may just end up installing a sub instead of this Key amp. The sound is much much better after replacing the door speakers but still missing the bass. After really thinking about it I don't think I will ever be content with the bass even if I amp these aftermarket door speakers. At the end of the day they are still just 6x9's. I hate to get it all installed and still not be happy when I could've just installed a sub and been fine. My last Ram was a 2014 and it had the Alpine system with the sub under the back seat and I was happy with that setup and never wanted to really change anything on it. This one with the base audio just sucks tho as far as bass goes.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Rewire the KEY to the dash and front doors. You really want to use the DSP time alignment.
Temporarily disconnect rear door speakers.
Use pink noise and run amp biamp mode.
Go thru the self time alignment process.
Night and day difference.
Reconnect rear speakers.
Done

You can use it as a 4 channel amp, front and rear. But use the time alignment. Makes a huge difference.

OP
OP
Silverfish

Silverfish

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rewire the KEY to the dash and front doors. You really want to use the DSP time alignment.
Temporarily disconnect rear door speakers.
Use pink noise and run amp biamp mode.
Go thru the self time alignment process.
Night and day difference.
Reconnect rear speakers.
Done

You can use it as a 4 channel amp, front and rear. But use the time alignment. Makes a huge difference.

So you aren't even running your rear speakers on the amp, just front door and dash? Or are you saying to connect the rear speakers to the amp after going thru the DSP alignment and all that? I haven't hooked the amp up yet.

Also where did you mount yours? I had this big idea to mount mind in that top glove box compartment since I don't use it for anything else anyway but I wasn't thinking about there not being any airflow in there so I had to scrap that idea.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I disconnected rears entirely. Added a subwoofer.
The KEY1804 does the dash, front channels..and rears to mid bass 6x9. The DSP really put the imaging on the dash...not at your ankles.
I mounted it under the dash Above the brake pedal.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
And we've done tons behind dash, never any overheating.

festivus15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Graygoose, sorry to revive an old thread. i'm looking to install a Kicker Key in my 2016 1500 non-alpine to run the dash/door speakers like you suggested. Question... did you run new wire to the dash corners or somehow connect to the existing after it splits off from the door wires? what's the easiest way to run it? i was planning on either putting the key behind the stock HU or in the top glove box i don't really use.

Thanks!

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
yes made a new harness from the amp, to each individual speaker. Found that easier outside the vehicle, than ran everything thru loom or up dash.
I still sometimes sit and listen to it and am still amazed how well it changes imaging.
Stock, it was horrible!

festivus15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks. did you make a harness to pull the signal from the back of the head unit to get to the amp? or did you just splice new wire to the Front LR+- wires?

also, how did you power it? from the stock HU power? or w/ a dedicated wire through the firewall? the manual says it's possible to use the stock wiring, but recommends the dedicated power/ground.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
dedicated power.
Signal from the back of the HU.
The KEY can use speaker level in, so whichever is easier for you.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Great video Five Star did with the designer.