Installed ICON Stage 5 and got rear end clunk when riding the bumps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andrey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hi All,

Got mine ICON stage 5 installed. Installation passed in 2 stages, first I installed front end, ride for two weeks, then installed rear end. Right after installation i did test ride and i can hear rear end clunking, please have a look onto youtube : What I already did, I loose the bolts on the rear control arm, and tightened those bolts up. Inspected all the things that thereotically can hit something...no success. Try to shake driveshaft, it's ok.
Jumping on the bed, no noise. The very interesting fact, when gopro placed on the rear end control arm there is no clunking hear. Please help. Any Ideas ?

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I'll let one of the guys who have the icon springs installed chime in but it sounds like the upper part of the coils is touching over bumps. Makes a rattling sound as the noise resonates through coil springs.

My super lift coils make a similar noise. It's annoying at first but becomes background noise after a while.

Ram1500rsm's build thread highlights this exact issue and I believe he fixed his.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

Andrey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
would be much appreciate for any help, yes i beleive it's not critical, but still I wanna fix that )

OP
OP
A

Andrey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
have seen this ) but anyway thank you, will try

michaelrc51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I am selling a set and had one of the bearings go bad on the rear shock upper which messed up the cap. Your's sounds very different than how mine did, definitely sounds like a spring issue.

I am selling mine if you know anyone who wants a Stage IV set at a much cheaper price, send them my way!

Great setup!

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I never heard the video until today, damn Lol
I don't think that's the spring issue i had with my Icon springs. They would make a clack clack hitting speed bumps, That's much louder like if you had something loose back there. Not ruling out the spring dead coils hitting each other but geez i didn't have that much noise at all.

OP
OP
A

Andrey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I am selling a set and had one of the bearings go bad on the rear shock upper which messed up the cap. Your's sounds very different than how mine did, definitely sounds like a spring issue.

I am selling mine if you know anyone who wants a Stage IV set at a much cheaper price, send them my way!

Great setup!
Why do you sell your set ? you are not happy with that ? as for me, even with this issues i had , i'm still like the performance i got with the ICON , it's really another truck. Not sure for how long this kit work for me, but definetely I'm not going to return to stock components)

michaelrc51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Why do you sell your set ? you are not happy with that ? as for me, even with this issues i had , i'm still like the performance i got with the ICON , it's really another truck. Not sure for how long this kit work for me, but definetely I'm not going to return to stock components)

I bought a 2500, so I put the Bilsteins back in so I could sell these and recoup some money back.

I didn’t really have any issues with my setup, except the shock cap/ upper mount. Surprisingly, Icon’s parts are very treasonable priced.

I like the setup lot. The combination of shocks/ springs and aftermarket RSB made the truck handle great. The only issue some may have is the low speed compression can be a little stiff at low speed, but the high speed compression is very good. If you have a set I’m sure you know what I’m talking about.

What are your issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
A

Andrey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I bought a 2500, so I put the Bilsteins back in so I could sell these and recoup some money back.

I didn’t really have any issues with my setup, except the shock cap/ upper mount. Surprisingly, Icon’s parts are very treasonable priced.

I like the setup lot. The combination of shocks/ springs and aftermarket RSB made the truck handle great. The only issue some may have is the low speed compression can be a little stiff at low speed, but the high speed compression is very good. If you have a set I’m sure you know what I’m talking about.

What are your issues?

I had two issues, one is : when I started the installation from the front, I figured out that driver side coilover doesn't have thrend in the holes. The thread was only from the bottom of the mount )) and I needed them on top, where the coilovers attaches to the truck ....As far in Ukraine we have metric tools it took me two days to find the 3\8 inch tap to make right thread. Then it was done quickly.

The official responce from ICON was :

Good afternoon, I’m sorry to hear about the troubles with the install and the upper mount not having been tapped before being shipped out.

We did have a small run of those that had that issue so again I’m sorry you receive one of them.

I hope the rest of the install will go as planned.

For now I have no issues with the front end so far...

Rear end installation passed in 4 hours and was smooth , the only issue i got is the clunking I can hear when windows are opened, I double checked all the connection and now try to not pay attention to this. Now in Ukraine we have about -2 C temp , so my windows closed )

michaelrc51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I had two issues, one is : when I started the installation from the front, I figured out that driver side coilover doesn't have thrend in the holes. The thread was only from the bottom of the mount )) and I needed them on top, where the coilovers attaches to the truck ....As far in Ukraine we have metric tools it took me two days to find the 3\8 inch tap to make right thread. Then it was done quickly.

The official responce from ICON was :

Good afternoon, I’m sorry to hear about the troubles with the install and the upper mount not having been tapped before being shipped out.

We did have a small run of those that had that issue so again I’m sorry you receive one of them.

I hope the rest of the install will go as planned.

For now I have no issues with the front end so far...

Rear end installation passed in 4 hours and was smooth , the only issue i got is the clunking I can hear when windows are opened, I double checked all the connection and now try to not pay attention to this. Now in Ukraine we have about -2 C temp , so my windows closed )

Interesting, I guess they had an issue when the made the mounting block. Kind of surprised they didn’t just ship one to you.
Taping those holes is really easy with access to a tap. I guess if you were in the US they would’ve just shipped you the mount, IDK.

It’s possible your noise in the rear end issue isn’t the shocks or springs.
Hope you track it down. Lay under there and have someone jump on the bumper a few times to see if you can pinpoint where the noise is coming from.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is the issue we can face with progressive springs once the dead coils bind with each other
They'll open up like this
33485831888_a1aa9afd43_k.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Then close and bind making the clunk
46446064365_d42cf8165e_k.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

This is how i eliminated the clunk in my coils assuming this is what you have, $4 at my local Lowes store. Just vinyl hose 1/2" ID.

40394813723_dacb6ff13a_k.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Cut several pieces of them, (Recommended to have a really sharp cutting knife)
46638822584_1d6315cd9a_k.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Place jack stands on the frame, lift from rear diff and the let the suspension droop just enough
32419945477_ac1b11a54c_k.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

So the dead coils are open
33485831888_a1aa9afd43_k.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Then slide them in your coils in the 12' oclock, 6 o'clock, 3 and 9 o'clock, all the way around the 4-5 coil binds that are are always touching.

46638842114_a391cf806f_k.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Easy peasy, cheap, and if you have your rear fender liners nobody will see them. I don't have the liners and the only way to see them would be to go down there and stick your head out :)

OP
OP
A

Andrey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Did you grind off a portion of the frame where the upper rear shock mounts to the frame?

reference this thread

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/icon-stage-2-delta-joint-uca-installed.136919/page-2
Hi, no i didn't grind anything, before doing something, I would like to pinpoint the issue with the gopro) Have an idea, this clunck appears when truck not loaded. On this Saturday I would like to load truck something about half a ton. and see how the truck behaves.

When I jump on the bed, no noise, when shake the hitch , no noise ))

So I think that is something about interaction rear axle and the bed ...

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi, no i didn't grind anything, before doing something, I would like to pinpoint the issue with the gopro) Have an idea, this clunck appears when truck not loaded. On this Saturday I would like to load truck something about half a ton. and see how the truck behaves.

I have a similar noise too on my truck. Can’t find it! The rear of my 2012 has the stock springs, Fox 2.0, and Firestone ride-rite airbags in the coils.
I also think the noise isn’t there when carrying a load or pulling my trailer. Trailer has 1,000lb tongue weight.

MidwestExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L

Do you have any update on this? Have you identified the cause for the noise? Thanks

MidwestExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
hi, NO, still not identified, had no time ...what about you?

I'm going to be installing some Icon stuff this weekend. In case I came across a similar sound after installation, I just wanted to see if you identified the source.

I'd agree with trying to wrap the upper springs and checking if the shock top mounts are hitting the frame, as others have advised.

OP
OP
A

Andrey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
what exactly you gonna install? springs and shocks? if you are, that would be interesting if you have the same noise)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
therapywolf