Installed my steering wheel audio controls.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did the audio control mod today. I had them in my Grand Cherokee and I loved them so I had to add them. Big thanks to Benny @AllMoparParts.com for confirming what I needed. They listed the parts as backordered. Benny said that he thought maybe a couple of weeks backordered. Within 48 hours the parts were shipped. I was not expecting that. Benny and AMP are great!

It went pretty smoothly thanks to this write up https://www.ramforum.com/threads/diy-2013-2014-oem-steering-wheel-audio-control-install.54449/. I bought an airbag removal tool and it was worth every penny. Only $12 on Amazon and I had the airbag off in a matter of minutes. https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-56200-...qid=1632790539&sprefix=airbag+removial&sr=8-3

The Haynes manual says to replace the steering wheel bolt when you remove it but it was hard to put back in so it isn't going anywhere. I'm guessing it's a torque to yield bolt. The clock spring did move on me as I was putting the wheel back on. It went from 12 o'clock to 3 o'clock. I just moved it back and it was fine. No codes, no errors.

The only thing that caught me off guard is when my backup camera didn't work. I checked everything and it all worked. Cruise, voice commands, evic scrolling and the radio controls. And I couldn't figure out why it wasn't working. Then I found a thread talking about the backup camera taking some time to work again after the battery is disconnected. So if you do this mod keep that in mind if you have a newer 4th Gen and especially if you have a classic. I just checked it and it works now.

I'm really happy with this. If you're on the fence about doing this mod, just do it. It took me less than two hours.

Last edited:

89grand

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I added them too, when I swapped out the steering wheel for a leather wrapped one. It's stupid lower models don't come with such a basic thing that is expected in this day and age.

OP
OP
Loudram

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I added them too, when I swapped out the steering wheel for a leather wrapped one. It's stupid lower models don't come with such a basic thing that is expected in this day and age.
I looked for a leather wheel but they wanted a small fortune for the ones I found that were in decent shape. For me the kit was cheaper.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar