Installed new oem style projectors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So, let me say that I've been satisfied with my current oem black quads. However, as good as they look, I just really like the look of oem black projector housings. So, I did some digging around. I found these, what are supposed to be spyder brand oem style projectors that supposedly used an h9 low beam and a 9005 high beam. I really wanted to avoid anything using an h7 or h1 bulb. I previously had the alpharex/modifystreet brand oem style projectors and they were ok, but I feel the bulb choices and projector/reflector left a lot to be desired. So, I ordered up these lights. First impressions, they came in a casp box. Casp seems to be a producer of oem or oem replica lights. They did not come in a spyder/anzo/or any other brand box. These lights are sealed with butyl rubber, not permaseal. This is a good thing should I ever decide to open them up and replace the halogen projector with a true hid d2s projector. When opening the bulb cover, I found these were not h9/9005, bulbs. They were 9005 bulbs for both high and low beam, like oem. I also saw that these had a wire running to a solenoid for the cutoff shield, meaning the cutoff shield in these dropped like the oem projectors. This is a huge plus. Now, the adjuster, uses a philips screwdriver, but is accessible through the fender hole with the arrow, like oem. I didn't have any bulbs to put in the low beams, since I was expecting them to be h9/h11. So the bulbs are still halogens for now. The beam pattern seemed to replicate the oem projectors. Not a super tight/crisp cutoff, but not horrible either. Fit into the truck was as good as oem. Many of the aftermarket housings leave a lot of gaps. These do not, these fit as good or better than some oem housings I've had. The aim on them is way off and needs adjusted, but I haven't had a chance to drive in the dark yet. Will update with pics of the beam pattern and output as soon as I can. Now, these are direct swaps for anyone with projectors, and they do come with an adapter harness so that they'll fit trucks with quads and dual housings as well. The list price on these lights seems to exceed 500 at some retailers, I got them for 375. They may be cheaper elsewhere, but I'm not complaining at this price either.
The plus sides to these is that the projector is bolted to the housing inside and appears to be a standard size/pattern. So, swapping in a quality set of hid projectors should be extremely easy, especially since these are sealed with butyl. All in all, I'm extremely pleased with these so far. They're better than what I was expecting.
I'll try and take some pictures of the beam patterns with the halogens and hid/led setups to compare.
These are the housings I bought.
20220429_155144.jpg

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They look nice. I'm always thinking about replacing my black quads but I really like the look of them. I personally don't like that style in chrome but the black looks pretty good. Thanks for the write up.

OP
OP
hunterdan

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They look nice. I'm always thinking about replacing my black quads but I really like the look of them. I personally don't like that style in chrome but the black looks pretty good. Thanks for the write up.
Yeah the black quads look good, but man I have a serious soft spot for the black sport style projectors.

OP
OP
hunterdan

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Took a picture this evening after aiming them. This is just the low beams using the halogen bulbs that came with them.
20220430_212938.jpg

OP
OP
hunterdan

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So far, no issues. Had some rain last night, no moisture. I tried installing some cheap hid bulbs I picked up, but output was far worst than the halogens that are in them. I ordered a set of higher quality bulbs to try out. That said, the output with the halogens isn't terrible at all. Hopefully these new hid bulbs actually perform. I may have just gotten a junk set.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I want to get some black quads! I've got the chrome quads, with h9 blubs. Can you give me a close up of your black quads. I'd buy yours?

OP
OP
hunterdan

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Installed a set of ddm tuning premium hid bulbs in the projector and auxito led in the high beam reflector. What an amazing difference over stock. I did loosen the bulb retainer so I could get the hid bulb to clock correctly to prevent a dead spot in the beam. Once the bulb was in, tightened up the 3 retainer screws and the bulb was pretty tight. I think I need to aim the lights down a touch, but I've yet to have anyone flash me. Honestly, still impressed with the fit and quality of these lights. There is still a slight chance that at some point, I may open them up and put a g5brt or similar projector in place of the halogen projector, but for now, these are working well. I was running late for work, so I couldn't get an output shot against a wall, but took pictures on the road of lows and highs.
20220505_223753.jpg
20220505_223758.jpg

OP
OP
hunterdan

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Took some better pictures against a wall. Current setup is ddm tuning 9005 5500k hid bulb running off a 45w hylux ballast for the low beam/projector and an auxito y13 9005 led for the high beam reflector. The output is amazing. The projector doesn't have the most even beam/light dispersion, but it really isn't bad at all. I like this setup far better than the alpharex housings I had. First pic is low beams + fogs
20220508_224730.jpgprojector+reflector high beams + fogs20220508_224735.jpgThis is just the reflector high beam (flash to pass)20220508_224744.jpg

OP
OP
hunterdan

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Another update. No issues thus far. Everything is working beautifully. Beam pattern looks great, though it's not super wide like a higher quality projector, but since I'm running the ss3 fog lights, it's not a huge issue. If you're considering these headlights, I highly recommend them, and I'd recommend them over the alpharex of the same style. I may in the future swap to a higher quality hid bulb like morimoto or gtr lighting.

Mapearso

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks for the write up. Very helpful.

Just to be clear, this is a plug and play set up ...and it comes with an adapter harness... so there is nothing else to buy UNLESS I want to upgrade the bulbs?

Thanks again ...

spacex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Awesome write up. This may be the only headlight I’d swap my black quads for.

Did you change bulbs in the quads before changing the headlights?

OP
OP
hunterdan

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Awesome write up. This may be the only headlight I’d swap my black quads for.

Did you change bulbs in the quads before changing the headlights?
Yes, I've got a few reviews of different bulbs up that I've tested. I've had a few different auxito bulbs that I liked. I swapped over the high beam from the quads to the high beam on the projectors.