Installing 4" Dash Speakers ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Will fit with minor modification. Believe TomT has done it and will probably chime in when he sees you thread.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You will need to get a saw in there to open up the hole a bit, I thought of the same idea but getting a saw in there is too tight. I know you don’t need a lot of cutting but still.m not something I want to tackle.

I will be running Morel CCWR254 in the future in there for a semi active 3 way. The GB 25 would be easier to get in there if its AF you want to run id run the GB25. I know its a bit more money, but it can stretch its legs further if you want to run tweeterless, as well can handle a lower crossover point. Although I cant imagine running a 2.5 down to 60hz, its capable. As well being smaller driver it will keep its composure better in the 5k+ range over the 4"

Thats just me though, as opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one.

Last edited:

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can tell you that it’s definitely possible. I’d have to ask my installer about the details.

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Like the title says, looking to install some 4' speakers and the dash.

Is this even possible and what type of modification is need if possible ?

Any pics or advice is welcome

Specifically

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_898GS...MI0OnzkrmF2wIV1Y-zCh2E1w6oEAYYASABEgIUWfD_BwE

Or

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_898GS42/Audiofrog-GS42.html

Thank you

Ok...so much for me buying the infinity kappa perfect 3.5” midranges! Haha. Couple bucks more, and i can get the audiofrog 4” midrange you posted. Maybe its me, but im not a fan of full range speakers in the dash. I have the JL C2-350x in my dash, and im replacing them with midranges. 75rms are powerful numbers for a midrange!
If you have access to an electric burr grinder, or a 90 degree air burr grinder with a barrel bit you can hog out the metal really easily.
$14 at harbor junk. From shat i heard, template that comes with the speaker only measures 3 3/4” for the hole that needs to be cut. Factory dash speakers are 3 1/2” so not much metal needs to be removed. Barrel burr bits are pricey though.

* MAKE SURE TO WEAR SAFTEY GLASSES AND A FACESHIELD AND A LONG SLEEVE SHIRT*!!!

Trust me, you dont want to have to get your eye drilled to get a metal burr out. It sucks, I have had my eyes drilled 3 times.

B9F91ABE-FC2E-414B-99DD-3F683E10A8E3.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Witch

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
Thanks for the help, looks like a ***** to get in there

You will like the GS40's. I heard them at a shop in Rockville Md. with the GS690 mid bass and the GS10 tweeters

They are Incredible,

Raining here, going to work on getting actual dimensionless of the speaker area to see how much material needs to be removed.

Also working out what to do with the tweeters , in the sails ? perfect but a PITA to wire being they are in the dash and in the door

A pillars ? maybe , but they would point to the center as that is the flat spot ?

Or just get the GS42 coaxls and save a lot of work ......... and money , but sacrifice some sound quality ?

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you’re going this far you’ll be kicking yourself later if you go with the coaxials. Just bite the bullet and run the extra speaker wire into the door. You only have to do it once and then you can get crazy later swapping tweeters every six months. LOL

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Definitely install the tweeters in the sail panel. Your not using the factory headunit to power your tweeters, so running new wire from the amps by the rear seat isnt that bad. I pulled off the plastic front and rear door rocker guards, and hid my wire under them. I drilled a hole in the door speaker housing, and ran my wires thru there. Then put caulking to seal the gaps around wire so it was air tight.

As per the sail panels, pull of the sails, mark where the tweeter will go, and drill a small hole for the wiring to pass thru. ( tweeter will cover visible speaker wire hole). Run the wire, pull the wire thru, connect the tweeters, and install the sail back in place. Its no where near as bad as it sounds.
Only thing that sucked was getting the speaker wire thru the door grommets from the interior to the door. Someone on here described a simple way to do it (after i already did mine the hard way) and it was genious. Hopefully someone can chime in for that.

OP
OP
Witch

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
That sounds easier than trying to make 4" drivers fit on the 3.5" holes ?
Measured the 3.5" this morning and the screws are 3 7/8" center to center

The GS 40 is 4 11/16" center to center to center
So the side towards the dash will all need removed ?

Focal has a component set that uses a 3" mid range

Has anyone heard anything about Focal ? Are they worth a listen ?

Here is the set that might work and eliminate dash modification ?

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarA...MIzM6C2-mH2wIVyp6zCh2LRwPvEAQYAyABEgKYj_D_BwE

as with the Audio Frogs run the mid bass active and use crossover for mid-range and tweeter

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Focal is an excellent brand. The only bad thing I ever hear about them is that in some instances their tweeters can be a little bright. I think that mostly depends on the listener's perception, install, and how they are tuned. Focal, Audiofrog, Dynaudio, Sinfoni, and Audio Development are all solid brands that run from good to amazing (some of them with amazing prices to go along with them).

I don't think it's that hard to put the 4" in the dash. I'm guessing you could do the modifications with a dremel. If I get time later today, I'll see about popping off the covers on mine and get some good photos.

I was pretty happy with the Hertz Hi-Energy 3 ways (3.5" midrange) and might have even kept them if they had been fully active. As it was, my sickness caused me to upgrade everything when I went active. LOL

mighty noid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Hydro Blue 2018 4x2 Sport Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That sounds easier than trying to make 4" drivers fit on the 3.5" holes ?
Measured the 3.5" this morning and the screws are 3 7/8" center to center

The GS 40 is 4 11/16" center to center to center
So the side towards the dash will all need removed ?

Focal has a component set that uses a 3" mid range

Has anyone heard anything about Focal ? Are they worth a listen ?

Here is the set that might work and eliminate dash modification ?

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarA...MIzM6C2-mH2wIVyp6zCh2LRwPvEAQYAyABEgKYj_D_BwE

as with the Audio Frogs run the mid bass active and use crossover for mid-range and tweeter

Those are the Focals I am putting in my truck next month. They sound great!

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Focal is an excellent brand. The only bad thing I ever hear about them is that in some instances their tweeters can be a little bright. I think that mostly depends on the listener's perception, install, and how they are tuned. Focal, Audiofrog, Dynaudio, Sinfoni, and Audio Development are all solid brands that run from good to amazing (some of them with amazing prices to go along with them).

I don't think it's that hard to put the 4" in the dash. I'm guessing you could do the modifications with a dremel. If I get time later today, I'll see about popping off the covers on mine and get some good photos.

I was pretty happy with the Hertz Hi-Energy 3 ways (3.5" midrange) and might have even kept them if they had been fully active. As it was, my sickness caused me to upgrade everything when I went active. LOL

A dremel has a straight shaft, and will be difficult to get it in there. Hence why i mentioned the cheap harbor junk air burr grinder with a 90 degree head.
If you do use a dremel, you will beed to use a burr bit. You would be there for years with a sanding bit.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If only it was the new truck that needed the windshield instead of the old one this job would be a lot easier. I plan on going 4" as well.

OP
OP
Witch

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
Yea would love to stay with the Audio Frog brand as I have heard them in person and I am here to tell you they are drop dead awesome sounding

Just looking at some alternatives around that same price point that may have similar sound quality , Mighty noid like the Focals

wonder who has them around, Hate to buy anything with out hearing them ?

Morel has a three way set as well ? Any word on that brand ?

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_210VI...MIwNjLvKKI2wIVB0sNCh0FHgCsEAQYASABEgIwXfD_BwE

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Morel falls into the same level as Focal. They are known for being a little more laid back than Focal.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I've heard a few sets of morels and they sounded good, but not that particular set.

OP
OP
Witch

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
Now I am really torn

Stopped at the audio shop for some 4 gauge and asked if he had any 3 way components I could listen too for **** and giggles and he said no.

But he said he ordered a set for a customer and they ended going in another direction.

He comes out with the $ 1,000.00 set of Focal Flac 3 ways , said since he is stuck with them he would give them to me for $ 650.00

Not to mention the tweeter pods are shaped I could use them in the A Pillar

He had a set of 2 way components in the same line, exact same tweeter and midbass driver.

They sounded super good, have to say they are a bit brighter than the Audio Frog, and the 6.5 driver had amazing base but not to compete with the Audio Frog 6x9

Have to say close thought, I could dig these, Big question is would the 6.5" drivers fit in the doors as they are 6x9 ?

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_091PS165F3/Focal-Performance-PS-165F3.html?tp=106&avf=N

I am torn ............ :emotions133:

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You just get a 6x9 to 6.5 adapter. Im doing my Morel install next weekish Ill take picutres if you dont get that far by then.