Installing a new Leather Dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

circuitguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Tradesman Regular Cab
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Got a new leather dash to replace the factory grey plastic one in my 17 Ram. Has anyone done this? Any helpful advise before I get started? I just want to do this once the right way. :)

ramdash.jpg

KC Cryptkeeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Got a new leather dash to replace the factory grey plastic one in my 17 Ram. Has anyone done this? Any helpful advise before I get started? I just want to do this once the right way. :)

View attachment 179811
My advice is to pull the entire dash from the truck. Does the new pad have a air bag "holder" welded to the back of the passenger side? Is the sunlight sensor already mounted? Those 2 things that usually go on a dash pad. The other is it will probably have a bunch of clips holding it all together.

OP
OP
circuitguy

circuitguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
My advice is to pull the entire dash from the truck. Does the new pad have a air bag "holder" welded to the back of the passenger side? Is the sunlight sensor already mounted? Those 2 things that usually go on a dash pad. The other is it will probably have a bunch of clips holding it all together.

The new pad has no metal frame on the inside, will reuse the one that is in the truck now. Also there are no part on the new pad, no grills, no sensors.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure if you have a subscription but AllDataDIY is great for this kind of stuff. Basically the factory service manual in HTML form along with wiring diagrams, etc.

Load of coupons out on the net, I think I managed to get 2 or 3 years for 25 bux or something.

BTW it shows how to remove the instrument panel, its a 30 step long process and includes removing the steering column......

KC Cryptkeeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The new pad has no metal frame on the inside, will reuse the one that is in the truck now. Also there are no part on the new pad, no grills, no sensors.

I don't know about how the airbag is attached in the Ram. In A Chevy Malibu the plastic bracket that holds the airbag in place is vibrating welded to the back of the pad after the pad has been laser scored to 1/2 it's depth so when it deploys it can break through. all the grills and senors mount to the pad before getting mounted to the entire assembly.

fastbike02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I've pulled the dash for heater core on a ram, it's not that bad just plan on taking a full day and also lay a moving blanket down so when you pull the dash out it doesn't scratch your door jamb

werdna1977

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The dealership changed mine twice due to defects so im of no help. Even the dealership had it for the day both times so plan for that

OP
OP
circuitguy

circuitguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I've pulled the dash for heater core on a ram, it's not that bad just plan on taking a full day and also lay a moving blanket down so when you pull the dash out it doesn't scratch your door jamb

Thanks for the advise, will make sure to use a blanket as you said.

Moparman16

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I literally just swapped the plastic dash in my truck this past weekend for the leather one. You do not need to take the whole dash out like in the video. The plastic part of the dash can be separated from the metal framework with the dash still in the truck. There are about 50 7mm bolts holding the plastic portion of the dash to the metal framework.

OP
OP
circuitguy

circuitguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I literally just swapped the plastic dash in my truck this past weekend for the leather one. You do not need to take the whole dash out like in the video. The plastic part of the dash can be separated from the metal framework with the dash still in the truck. There are about 50 7mm bolts holding the plastic portion of the dash to the metal framework.

Are all the bolts easy to get to? Do you still have to drop the steering column? This sounds like the way I want to go with this.

Moparman16

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did it without dropping the steering column. Almost all of the bolts are easy to get to. The bolts near the windshield (7mm on drivers side and 10mm on passengers side) are a bit tough to get out. I removed the center console so I would have a little extra room.

You basically remove the gauge cluster, the center stack and headunit, centre console, upper and lower gloveboxes and the covers on each end of the dash. Then you remove a ton of 7mm bolts with a few 8mm and 10mm ones mixed in. There are also two bolts near the windshield and the dash speaker bolts which also need to be removed. You also can detach the dash air bag before you pull the dash. Then the whole plastic dash lifts out.

The easiest thing to do is to look at the new dash you bought and look for all of the predrilled bolt holes. Then you know where to look for bolts when removing your existing plastic dash.

OP
OP
circuitguy

circuitguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I did it without dropping the steering column. Almost all of the bolts are easy to get to. The bolts near the windshield (7mm on drivers side and 10mm on passengers side) are a bit tough to get out. I removed the center console so I would have a little extra room.

You basically remove the gauge cluster, the center stack and headunit, centre console, upper and lower gloveboxes and the covers on each end of the dash. Then you remove a ton of 7mm bolts with a few 8mm and 10mm ones mixed in. There are also two bolts near the windshield and the dash speaker bolts which also need to be removed. You also can detach the dash air bag before you pull the dash. Then the whole plastic dash lifts out.

The easiest thing to do is to look at the new dash you bought and look for all of the predrilled bolt holes. Then you know where to look for bolts when removing your existing plastic dash.

You da man! Gona try this, will get back to you as to how it came out. :)

Moparman16

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You da man! Gona try this, will get back to you as to how it came out. :)
Good luck! Just be patient when guiding the dash in an out of the truck. It takes a little bit of finesse and an extra set of hands helps. If you run into any snags let me know and I’ll see if I can help.

OP
OP
circuitguy

circuitguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Good luck! Just be patient when guiding the dash in an out of the truck. It takes a little bit of finesse and an extra set of hands helps. If you run into any snags let me know and I’ll see if I can help.

Planning on doing the dash swap this weekend. Does the passenger air bag have to be removed? Everything else I think I understand.

skyline090

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did you get the matching black bezel, vents and end caps?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
circuitguy

circuitguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Did you get the matching black bezel, vents and end caps?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I got the matching Sport center bezel, console bezel and chrome side vents. Ordered all from a vin number for a 18 Ram Sport. Should look like it all came from the factory new.