Installing a power passenger seat in a New Ram ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Anthony Kalos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Has anyone ever installed this in a truck that didn’t have it from the factory ? I bought a complete power passenger seat assembly from a 2012 Laramie and would like to transfer the complete cushions from my 2019 along with everything. Any suggestions on how to get this to work ? Thanks for any advice !

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone ever installed this in a truck that didn’t have it from the factory ? I bought a complete power passenger seat assembly from a 2012 Laramie and would like to transfer the complete cushions from my 2019 along with everything. Any suggestions on how to get this to work ? Thanks for any advice !
Unfortunately the 2012 seats are wired differently than the 13 up trucks. You would need to completely re pin the connectors or switch all the wiring and connectors for the seat airbags, occupancysensors, seat belt sensor ect that may be wired differently. For the power adjust you would just need constant 12v fused power to the solid red wire in the yellow seat connector. It would be much easier to install the 13+ seat if you can find on inexpensively.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

NapaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Honestly if you want heat and massage a seat pad from these guys https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Snailax&ref=bl_dp_s_web_0 works great I have one in my 2015 and used it yesterday while driving around. Sure it's not as fancy as having it built in but for less than $100 and 2 min set up it's hard to beat. In general trying to instal parts across generations in your case a 3rd to a 4th gen is going to be difficult especially if power is needed to make it operate.

OP
OP
Anthony Kalos

Anthony Kalos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I want to make the seat power adjustable for my wife. I’m planning on using the original seat back and cushion complete with the airbags and heat onto the power adjustable base. I’m thinking that if the frames are identical, then they can be swapped out to the base and I would just keep those electrical connectors the same and just power the base separately because there is no factory connection currently (I could be wrong) under the carpet. Any body ever noticed if these trucks are equipped with the harness for the passenger side without actually getting a power seat from the factory ?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I want to make the seat power adjustable for my wife. I’m planning on using the original seat back and cushion complete with the airbags and heat onto the power adjustable base. I’m thinking that if the frames are identical, then they can be swapped out to the base and I would just keep those electrical connectors the same and just power the base separately because there is no factory connection currently (I could be wrong) under the carpet. Any body ever noticed if these trucks are equipped with the harness for the passenger side without actually getting a power seat from the factory ?
If your truck came with a power driver's seat you should have the wiring for the power passenger seat. If it didn't you do not and you will have to run your own power source. If your passenger side yellow seat connector has two solid red wires you have the wiring for power seats. One would be for the 115v volt inverter and the other would be for the Power adjust. They would be pin#s 14 and 15 in the connector. If you don't have the correct wiring for the power seat you can easily run a fused constant 12v power source to the proper pin in the seat connector for the power adjust to work.

OP
OP
Anthony Kalos

Anthony Kalos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I will check it out this weekend ! Thank you for your insight. I do have the power drivers seat, but since I have the Bighorn and not a higher trim, we only have left side powered ! Sucks for the passenger ! Have you been through this with your truck ?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will check it out this weekend ! Thank you for your insight. I do have the power drivers seat, but since I have the Bighorn and not a higher trim, we only have left side powered ! Sucks for the passenger ! Have you been through this with your truck ?
My truck is an Express so I had to add All the wiring for my heated/vented seats and heated wheel plus the memory. I have worked on a ton of these trucks for other members and your Bighorn should have the correct wiring for the power passenger side seat. The truck would only have the one yellow seat connector for the passenger side regardless of what options the truck came with. Your truck should have the wiring for driver and passenger power seats plus heated/vented seats and heated wheel even if it didn't come with those options as they install the same seat harness in all the Bighorn trucks. Since your truck is the Classic verify those two wires are in the yellow connector just to make sure as they do have a few minor wiring differences in other areas. If the seat you bought was out of a 13 to 18/Classic it would be a plug and play install and it would work without adding any codes ect. Obviously since you're installing a 09 to 12 seat you will have to figure out the wiring.

OP
OP
Anthony Kalos

Anthony Kalos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
No my truck is the DT 1500 Bighorn. So it should have the wire harness already installed underneath the seat/carpet ?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No my truck is the DT 1500 Bighorn. So it should have the wire harness already installed underneath the seat/carpet ?
The connector for the passenger seat is Not under the carpet. Your truck only has one yellow passenger side seat connector no matter what options or trim level the truck has and it's already plugged into the seat harness. The only difference is the trucks with more options have more wires pinned into the exact same connector. Since your Bighorn comes with the harness for the power passenger side seat the correct wiring in the connector but it's just not being used by your current seat. You will notice your truck side connector has more wiring than your seat side connector

OP
OP
Anthony Kalos

Anthony Kalos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So, I’ll plug it in the power adjustable base after I transfer the new cushions and electrical connector over and it should work if all the pins are correct ?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, I’ll plug it in the power adjustable base after I transfer the new cushions and electrical connector over and it should work if all the pins are correct ?
As long as you are able to switch everything over correctly it should work. The one thing you need to consider is the Laramie seat back frame is different than the Bighorn so your Bighorn seat foam and cover will not fit. The seat recline motor is in the seat back frame so you would need to figure that out as well.

OP
OP
Anthony Kalos

Anthony Kalos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I am going to unbolt my seat back and seat cushion frames and bolt on to motorized base so I could get it to work like the drivers side ! Thank you for your good insight on this ! I will post some pictures of the install when I get to do this ! Makes it hard for me because I drive a semi and not home enough !

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm on Tapatalk so it's hard for me to see profiles but I just noticed your picture standing in front of a 5th gen so I'm assuming that's what you have. I apologize that I missed that. I thought you had the Classic. I see that you mentioned if but I didn't catch it. I don't have the schematics for the 5th gen and I don't have them for the 09 to 12 trucks. I haven't upgraded a 5th gen yet so I'm not sure if the lower seat frame is the same between the 4th gen and 5th gen as far as the upholstery and cushions fitting and if the seat back frame would be the same to mount the seat back motor into your current frame. I guess you'll just have to take them apart and see what it all looks like. I also haven't checked a 5th gen Bighorn to see if it had the power seat adjust wiring like the 4th gen trucks but I would assume it does.

OP
OP
Anthony Kalos

Anthony Kalos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
No problem ! All I can do is take them out side by side and see what they look like and compare wiring and all and start the process of disassemble ! I will get pictures of the project and post. Maybe it can help someone else doing the same thing ! Thanks

Sowardcustoms

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E-Torque
I have a 2020 Lonestar and I successfully installed a power passenger seat out of a Laramie. My truck it was plug and play. the ventilation option does not work but heated seats do..

OP
OP
Anthony Kalos

Anthony Kalos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Did you take your original seat back and cushion and transfer over to the power base and plug up the heated seat and the motorized base and that’s it ?

Rebelrouser

Reaction score
Ram Year
'22 Ram 1500 GT
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been thinking of doing the same for my '17 Sport. I do have a power driver's seat and my wife would surely like the same while being a passenger. I'm on the hunt for a Laramie seat to swap over......

brental1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The connector for the passenger seat is Not under the carpet. Your truck only has one yellow passenger side seat connector no matter what options or trim level the truck has and it's already plugged into the seat harness. The only difference is the trucks with more options have more wires pinned into the exact same connector. Since your Bighorn comes with the harness for the power passenger side seat the correct wiring in the connector but it's just not being used by your current seat. You will notice your truck side connector has more wiring than your seat side connector

I'm trying to swap Laramie heated/vented/memory driver/power passenger into my 2022 1500 DT BH with Level 1 Equipment Group. I've posted other questions about the swap on other threads. I thought the easiest part of the swap would be the power passenger. Red 2.0 wire is present in Cavity 25 (Fused B+) and CB 3 is present in the Interior Fuse Panel. However, there's no voltage on Pin 25. Just to be safe, I also checked Pin 25 with key in RUN position and still no voltage. What am I missing? Thanks, Brent