Installing stall convertor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Custom_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone done this themselves? Any tips that anyone can give are appreciated, I would rather save the 450 bucks the shop wants to charge me and do it myself, seems like it wouldnt be to bad

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's a lot easier if you have a 2 wheel drive.
Jay

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On one of the many Ram forums there is bound to be a U tube of someone changing one. Either that or someone has done a complete write-up on the steps you need to take to do the job along with any tips they might have. There is also a few guys here that have done a swap and I'm sure they will chime in when they see your post.
Jay

derag2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
It can be done without a lift..... I pulled my 6Sod manual with the t-case still attached laying on the floor with just a regular floor Jack with the help of a friend..... 2wd should be petty east.

crash_eco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Drain the transmission, pull the driveshaft, disconnect the cooler lines, remove the shifter linkage, unplug the speed sensor if it's on the transmission, pop off the access plate and starter, remove the torque converter nuts, pull the crossmember, an atv/motorcycle jack works great for popping the transmission down. take out the bell bolts and give her a shake. Should pop right out. You will get fluid coming out of the torque converter when you pull it out.

Lube the outer shaft of the new convertor (there is a paste like transmission fluid you can buy). When you put the new convertor in. Make sure it's seated all the way. You very likely have to lift up on it a bit and spin in to like up the shafts. Don't jam it into the input seal be Gentle until it's all the way in (insert **** joke here..)

Put it all back together. I usually take emery cloth and a bit of oil to the driveshaft yoke that goes into the tail housing so that when you reinstall the driveshaft your not jamming the rusty part into the output seal.

That's not truck specific. But basically that's how most of them come out. When I worked at the transmission shop we always disconnected the battery as well prior to starting.

When you fill it with fluid. Add most but not all when off. Then Fire it up and keep an eye on the level using the dipstick and slowly add more until your at the full line. Once it's up to temperature check it again and top it off as required. Doesn't hurt to put your foot on the brake and cycle through the shifter without moving the truck just to force the fluid around.

Take if for about a 5-10min drive. Recheck the fluid level. Top it off slowly because if you over fill it, it's a ***** to take some out.

Have fun!

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Custom_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Drain the transmission, pull the driveshaft, disconnect the cooler lines, remove the shifter linkage, unplug the speed sensor if it's on the transmission, pop off the access plate and starter, remove the torque converter nuts, pull the crossmember, an atv/motorcycle jack works great for popping the transmission down. take out the bell bolts and give her a shake. Should pop right out. You will get fluid coming out of the torque converter when you pull it out.

Lube the outer shaft of the new convertor (there is a paste like transmission fluid you can buy). When you put the new convertor in. Make sure it's seated all the way. You very likely have to lift up on it a bit and spin in to like up the shafts. Don't jam it into the input seal be Gentle until it's all the way in (insert **** joke here..)

Put it all back together. I usually take emery cloth and a bit of oil to the driveshaft yoke that goes into the tail housing so that when you reinstall the driveshaft your not jamming the rusty part into the output seal.

That's not truck specific. But basically that's how most of them come out. When I worked at the transmission shop we always disconnected the battery as well prior to starting.

When you fill it with fluid. Add most but not all when off. Then Fire it up and keep an eye on the level using the dipstick and slowly add more until your at the full line. Once it's up to temperature check it again and top it off as required. Doesn't hurt to put your foot on the brake and cycle through the shifter without moving the truck just to force the fluid around.

Take if for about a 5-10min drive. Recheck the fluid level. Top it off slowly because if you over fill it, it's a ***** to take some out.

Have fun!

Awesome, thanks a lot man!

BlackRamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

Have fun!

You also have to remove most of the exhaust, shown below
which also requires disconnecting all four of the O2 sensors from the wiring harness.

You also need to remove/un-plug the line pressure sensor and you have to remove the dipstick tube.
(top bolt is easiest to access from the rear with several socket extensions once you drop the tail a few inches.)

To loosen/install the TC bolts its easiest to have one guy line up the bolts
while the other manually turns the crank a quarter turn at a time with a breaker bar or long socket wrench.

It can be done without a lift..... I pulled my 6Sod manual with the t-case still attached laying on the floor with just a regular floor Jack with the help of a friend..... 2wd should be petty east.

x2

Between our two Rams my buddy and I have done 6 trans swaps
...all on our backs, front tires on ramps. Engage Parking BRAKE! and block rear tire.

Both were 4x4's, so two drive shafts and a transfer case = 6 hour job.
(we removed the transfer case manually from the trans tail to make it easier/lighter to balance the trans on the jack.)

When using a floor jack its best to place a short 2"x10" block of wood between the jack and the trans pan.
Too much pressure near the center of the trans pan from a standard floor jack will dent it enough to slow the flow from the sump pickup at the bottom of the pan.

back2stock3_zps1d42e37d.jpg

blackram3_zpsd9bcb258.jpg

exhaust_zpsa3b202f3.jpg

blackram2_zps74f5637e.jpg

Last edited:

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
make 100% sure you seat that new converter like stated before because it does fit if its not all the way seated and you will have a mess. Long extensions make it way easy to get bell housing bolts so invest in those. Everything else has been covered very well. Take your time and you shouldn't have to many issues.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Damn those new trannys look good till you have to replace them over and over again. :favorites13:
Jay

BlackRamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
make 100% sure you seat that new converter like stated before because it does fit if its not all the way seated and you will have a mess. Long extensions make it way easy to get bell housing bolts so invest in those. Everything else has been covered very well. Take your time and you shouldn't have to many issues.

X2!

Torque-Converter-callouts.jpg

The first set of splines on the trans pump shaft engage the torque converters turbine
you have to give it a wiggle as you turn the TC to get the second set of splines to engage the Stator.

The stator controls fluid flow direction and speed.

BBerry889_zps214e9490.jpg

You will have trouble mating the bell housing all the way flush to the engine block if you didn't get to TC seated properly.

Don't try to close the gap with more pressure on the TC bolts :crazy:

Make sue to pre-fill the TC just about half way before install,
it takes a LOT of fluid and it takes time to flow past all the internals.
To check the level you simply stand it up right and look inside.

Make sure you and your partner are aware that the TC will not be 100% secured to the pump shaft as you maneuver the trans into place.
It is very heavy when full of fluid and could fall off when your start lining up your trans to the engine block, so keep a hand on it.

On our last couple installs we left the TC off until we had the trans on the jack and sitting just below the trans tunnel ready to go up.

Last edited: