Interior light weirdness, help required.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr Grumpy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Evening All, I hope I find you all well in these strange times.

I'm slowly getting on with the jobs on my recently acquired 04 Hemi Sport.
Replaced the rotted out exhaust system.
Done the factory style flares from Tyger on the rear arches to hide the ragged edges, looks well smart now.
Adapted an old 6'6" Truxedo roll up cover to fit (cut it down by 2").
The current problem I'm tackling is a puzzler though, the interior lights work perfectly on both passenger side doors, but the drivers side never worked since I bought the truck a few months ago.
I did some internet digging and discovered that door latches may be the problem or broken wires in the hinge boot. I also read somewhere that it can be caused by a computer fault, so I disconnected the battery and let the system reset. When I reconnected, lo and behold the drivers door activated the interior lights as it should, but only when the lights were on. (I should say at this point that the lights were on when I reconnected) when I turned the lights off no more door switch action. Rear door did nothing at all.
So I tried again, this time with the lights off. Again drivers door worked but this time lights on or off for a minute or two, then stopped working, rear door still nothing at all.
So as I see it the drivers door seems to be ok and switching as it should but the computer is disabling it, whilst the rear door has a fault of some kind.
Are the doors interconnected on each side and the computer is disabling the whole side due to a door fault on the rear door? or do I have separate issues going on?
Any help gratefully received, thanks in advance.

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
The first thing I would do is check the wires going into the rear door. You can slide the conduit back from the body side of the harness and see if you have any broken wires. This is quick and simple and costs nothing. I have a hunch that something is wrong with the wires in there (possibly a short) and it's causing the control module to throw a fit and effecting the driver's side safety lights. If you don't find anything there, move on to the front door harness and check it. After that it has to be in the control module would be my guess. Good luck and let us know what you find.

pajeepman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Doesn't help but can you post pictures of your truck with the flares on. I also have a 04 hemi sport in silver.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Anyway I checked the connections and they all seem to be good. I also pulled the loom out from the pillar as far as it would comfortably go and a couple of the wires had cracked insulation and bare copper showing so I taped them up.
Now I have an interesting situation, if both doors are opened the lights come on, it doesn't make a difference which is opened first, but if I only open 1 door the lights don't come on.
Rather odd, but it's a consistent fault so I can live with it, just have to remember to open one door then open and close the other when it's dark.
Thanks again for the help.

OP
OP
Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Doesn't help but can you post pictures of your truck with the flares on. I also have a 04 hemi sport in silver.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

I had to trim the ends to fit around the body kit.20200330_130214.jpg 20200330_130306.jpg 20200330_130228.jpg 15856713940588949817688710321928.jpg