Interior paint match mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For anyone out there with the darker gray interior accents like I have on my 16. I found an almost identical paint match that looks great and is durable .

Rustoleum flat soft iron is almost spot on in both color and sheen.

I color
Matched my steering wheel bezel when I did the leather steering with audio control swap. I held onto a spare steering wheel bezel just Incase the paint didn’t hold up well but I’m happy to say it’s holding up great!.

It is designed to work with plastic and is a paint and primer in 1. I made sure to scuff the bezel with a scotch bright pad and then use wax and grease remover. I put about 3 coats of paint on and after the paint had time to dry I applied a light coat of paste wax.

the painted bezel has since seen 90 degree days, frosty mornings, I have accidentally smacked the bezel with my keys, I have purposely retired scratching it with my nails, I have purposely tried pushing on it hard for an extended period to see if it would leave finger prints or anything. It’s literally almost the same finish as the factory plastic!.

just figured I would share my findings Incase anyone else wants to match their steering wheel or other interior parts.

mans for me personally it work out even better because the interior matches well well my granite crystal exterior ( :

3E4EE6DA-2CBA-4DD7-8B78-3D92796426D3.jpeg

7974E058-695A-4934-A95B-E36F9F42A0F6.jpeg

9D9ED61A-BF4C-4D3B-B88C-CF2DCD10F040.jpeg

1BFD4067-69BB-4275-B02E-A63D73A90B7F.png

1625E755-4FD8-4DE2-8C4A-996B5E934A0C.jpeg

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
For anyone out there with the darker gray interior accents like I have on my 16. I found an almost identical paint match that looks great and is durable .

I color
Matched my steering wheel bezel when I did the leather steering with audio control swap. I held onto a spare steering wheel bezel just Incase the paint didn’t hold up well but I’m happy to say it’s holding up great!.

It is designed to work with plastic and is a paint and primer in 1. I made sure to scuff the bezel with a scotch bright pad and then use wax and grease remover. I put about 3 coats of paint on and after the paint had time to dry I applied a light coat of paste wax.

the painted bezel has since seen 90 degree days, frosty mornings, I have accidentally smacked the bezel with my keys, I have purposely retired scratching it with my nails, I have purposely tried pushing on it hard for an extended period to see if it would leave finger prints or anything. It’s literally almost the same finish as the factory plastic!.

just figured I would share my findings Incase anyone else wants to match their steering wheel or other interior parts.

mans for me personally it work out even better because the interior matches well well my granite crystal exterior ( :

View attachment 221568

View attachment 221569

View attachment 221570

View attachment 221571

View attachment 221572

Looks really good, my only question is why you have the Gear - and Gear + on the steering wheel when your truck is a column shifted 6 speed..

Sent from iPhone 10S Max

OP
OP
XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks really good, my only question is why you have the Gear - and Gear + on the steering wheel when your truck is a column shifted 6 speed..

Sent from iPhone 10S Max

Factory my gear selector is on the column. The leather wheel came with the gear selector on the steering wheel. Currently in the process of finding a way to make the steering -/+ function as they currently do nothing. I was told someone on the Cummins forum was able to successfully get them to work. Still working on finding the solution.

I have another post about this that goes into full details if interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Factory my gear selector is on the column. The leather wheel came with the gear selector on the steering wheel. Currently in the process of finding a way to make the steering -/+ function as they currently do nothing. I was told someone on the Cummins forum was able to successfully get them to work. Still working on finding the solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm, that would be fun! Lmk if you get them to work. Theoretically they should, no difference between the 6/8 speed in terms of electronic control.

Sent from iPhone 10S Max

OP
OP
XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmmm, that would be fun! Lmk if you get them to work. Theoretically they should, no difference between the 6/8 speed in terms of electronic control.

Mira

Sent from iPhone 10S Max
definitely possible, just trying to find a way to make it happen. Hoping it’s as simple as finding an obscure setting in alfaobd. Waiting to hear back from the owner of alfa to see if we can get it figured out but I’ll be sure to update once I do.

I REALLY dislike the gear selector on the column and would
Much rather have it in the steering wheel!

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Must be nice to have a dark colored truck. If I were to do white, I would be blinded haha.

Looks good

OP
OP
XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Must be nice to have a dark colored truck. If I were to do white, I would be blinded haha.

Looks good
It’s one of those mods where you should probably only do it if you already have darker interior accents OR if your body color is darker and you are trying to match. If you have a bright truck things could get borderline ricerish Real quick lol

Rebelrouser

Reaction score
Ram Year
'22 Ram 1500 GT
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here's what I've done so far. Just getting around to pull the sterring wheel to change over the insert which I painted as well.....IMG_8537.JPG

OP
OP
XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wonder how that would look on the A, B and C pillars? I'm sure you have enough paint left...wink wink

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
Lol I don’t mind the factory color on the pillars so I’ll leave them

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks great! I had to do similar with my F150. Tan and Brown interior and Ferd put a bunch of silver accent pieces in there. I found a Rustoleum color that blended nicely and painted the grill covers, radio surrounds etc. Same flat metallic finish. Held up great for the 4+ years I had the truck!

If I ever find an interior design engineer that is responsible for ANY interior chrome surfaces, I will very likely cut off their arm and beat them with it. HATE that crap.

Rebelrouser

Reaction score
Ram Year
'22 Ram 1500 GT
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I color

View attachment 221568

View attachment 221569

View attachment 221570

View attachment 221571

View attachment 221572

How hard is it to pull the steering wheel off? I have a painted insert for mine-zero masking- that I need to install. Thanks.