interior roof help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hey guys I purchased a 2016 2500 (with sunroof) not long ago and it encountered its first major rain storm yesterday. unfortunately theres a leak somewhere as I found this morning a bunch of water had dripped down to the cup holders and there was still a bunch sitting in the overhead compartment that dripped out soon as a turned a corner.

around the sunroof area it appears like theres some channels for water to flow down by the front door jams. maybe im wrong but that's what it looked like. possibly there was so much rain that it overloaded the drainage system, assuming there is a drainage system ? but the reason that so much water got past the sunroof seal is kind of concearning also. yes the sunroof was fully closed properly and it didn't appear any dirt was lodged between the cab and rubber seal.

my other theory was that it entered at the top of the windshield, since there is no molding but rather just a big void between the glass and cab. im not really convinced this was the point of entry as it would seem unlikely the water could travel rearward to the overhead compartment but I guess anythings possible and until I have a closer look I wont know for sure.

my question is has anyone taken out the plastic over head piece ? before I went prying and bending on it, I figure I better ask if theres a special technique to popping it loose without damaging it ? luckily the touchscreen wasn't full of water. next time I might not be so lucky if I don't get it fixed soon

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Just pull it down. A few clips hold it up. Make sure your hands are clean

OP
OP
C

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
just to clarify what you meen, do I want to pull the inner black plastic out of the outer tan piece ? or pull the outer tan piece out of the roof liner ? the roof liner seems like a soft material so I wanted to be sure first

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Outer tan piece out of the headliner

Ryan1126

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
dont do anything, take it straight to the dealership and make them deal with it. thats ********.

GzNutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I had this with my 1500. Took it to the dealer and they blew out the sunroof drain lines with compressed air. Don't know how my lines were clogged from sitting on the dealer lot, but there haven't been any leaks since.

OP
OP
C

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yes its ******** but it may be something simple like clogged drain lines. I washed the truck several times and didn't notice any water inside. after it rained for a few hrs straight is when I seen the water. clogged drain lines sounds very plausible. ill see if I cant figure it out first before going to the dealer

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
There are some trucks that had an issue with cab welds.