Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WilliamBR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Hi everyone, I just bought this used Ram 2019 Truck for $48K 5 months ago. It had 28K when I bought it. It now has 34K. Powered rear window. No sun roof.

I don't have a garage so I park outside. I noticed about 1 month ago that there are water stains around the interior in the back roof at the top around the speakers and phone mics. I did a lot of reading and some said it was the shark fin, others the back powered window, and some the third brake light.

I took the Truck into Lithia Dodge in Bend. They said they conducted a water test and the brake light did not leak. They said the powered back window did. Now they want to replace the entire thing $1,900 (parts, labor etc). I specifically asked them to check the fin, but they said it would not be that. The leaks are higher than the window line, so I don't understand how water travels upwards. That makes no sense to me. I still believe it is the fin or the break light, cause that is exactly where the water stains are. When I swipe my finger in between the frame and the interior fabric, just underneath the speakers at the exact point where they claim water comes in, it's completely dry. (See pic)

I will include these photos. I made them lighter in Photoshop, so the water stains will show clearer. They are not as intense as the brightened photos.

My questions: Why do you have to replace the entire window for $1,000? If it leaks, and the windows is not broken, cracked or warped, can they not replace the seal only?

I'm booked for fixing on April 6th, but I fear by then, with all our rain and snow, it will start to get really bad.

Anyone know, from these photos, what this could be? Is it the shark fin? I do go through a car wash.

Thank you!

Screen Shot 2023-03-14 at 7.46.52 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-03-14 at 7.47.03 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-03-14 at 7.47.41 PM.png

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A brake light gasket is cheaper than $1k and can always stand to be replaced if it's OEM.

If it's the rear window I follow your thinking on water path. Rear window and cabin vents will lead to water in the rear underseat cubbies. 3rd brake light and way less frequently the shark fin, lead to headliner water.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I believe they need to replace the entire window and frame unit because the actual frame cracks not the seal leaks. I have a 2018 and I chased down a leak for almost a month. My windshield would be covered in condensation every morning and I’d have water dripping off my fingers from between the headliner and the windshield. I pulled the shark fin and replaced the seal. It’s a PITA too. I dried the interior out and it still leaked. I asked the forum for advice and several folks smarter than me explained that condensation forms from the highest point to the lower points. So even if my windshield was the highest point in the vehicle as I park on an incline nose up, the leak could possibly be somewhere other than the shark fin. I had no water on my headliner or wet carpets. I pulled the rear seats and flooded the back and top of the vehicle with water from a garden hose. Sure enough I had leaking exhauster vents and a cracked third brake light. Evidently I over tightened the screws on the brake light when I replaced the seal initially and water was leaking in the cracked plastic not the seal. Also you can get those water stains off your headliner with hydrogen peroxide.

OP
OP
W

WilliamBR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Thank you for your feedback. When using the Hydrogen peroxide, do I use a diluted food-grade form or the full strength I buy at a pharmacy? Also do I just wet a cloth and lightly press against the stains?

Gondul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
That high up I'm betting on the CHMSL...
A roll of this at your local big box store and you're good.

10 ft L x 19/32 in W x 5/16 in H
s-l400.jpg

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That high up I'm betting on the CHMSL...
A roll of this at your local big box store and you're good.

10 ft L x 19/32 in W x 5/16 in H
View attachment 516499
That's what I used, I recently switched over to this gasket below when I was tracking down water that ended up being the cab vents.

DanM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In my case it was the rear window seal. I think it froze up and expanded and pulled away from body. Speakers, mics, roof liner and rug all replaced under warranty. Window replaced also. Now i make sure no snow or water is around rear window.

Attachments

• rear window.jpg
    rear window.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
W

WilliamBR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
This is crazy! My truck stands outside. I don't have a garage. I also bought it used at 28K miles, and now has about 35K miles on it. I asked the dealership, and they said the warranty does not cover it, as it expired. I am having big regrets buying this truck. I never had a Ram and really look forward to one, especially it's stunning interiors etc. But yes, now I see it's the back window. It drips everywhere. But are you now saying that even a tarp over it, in snow and rain, will still make it expand and pull away? So the only way to keep from replacing the window yearly, is to park it in a garage. A truck, that can stand outside.

DanM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
no if under tarp no issue...i think it was when i left snow on roof and water got in that gap in window that it froze and pulled away. But water will still get in that gap and it will leak in at a slower rate. They know this is an issue maybe they can do it under warranty. Call ram customer care and ask. If not ask a glass company how much to replace instead of dealer.

here's a link...

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

WilliamBR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I am having the glass replaced. $1,500 (parts and labor). I bought the marine sealer strip suggested earlier in the thread and placed it strategically over the gap, but it did nothing. The water runs down the strips of both sides of the truck and then gathers it seems. I bought a new truck bed cover that rolls up for $3,500. I wonder if I should sell that, and get a canopy. Maybe that would guarantee no further leakage.

DanM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
once its leaking the way pictures are showing its best to get window replaced. Once the seal on window is broken free it won't stop water. Did you buy car from dealer? Most states have used car warranties. Also theres a class action law suit in above messages showing everything. theres only 3 areas of concern, The roof fin, 3rd light and window. So you can probably buy 3rd light cheap online and as for fin you can loosen roof liner enough to feel if its coming from there. My window was leaking a little and then it started pouring in the car. Pull rear seats back to see if leaking down the back..

OP
OP
W

WilliamBR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Same issue as you. Water is leaking in the back glass, and it's dripping on the seats, and behind them. The dealership did the fin water test, and 3rd break light water test, and determined it was only the glass. But since I don't have a garage, I am now concerned that the cold temperatures will just create the scenario again and again. I live in Central Oregon. And yes, I bought my truck from a Dealership, 2nd hand. And I asked them about warrantee and they said, it expired. I have owned the truck 8 months now.
You mentioned calling Ram - do you think they would be able to help?
I am now considering fixing this, and trading the truck for something else. I LOVE this truck though.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you check the roof seams, they run the length of the drivers and passenger sides they have that black vinyl strip covering them, you may have a rear window frame cracked causing water leaks in rear floor or behind seats, water does not wick up to get the headliner wet.
also i would get the proper gasket from these guys.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Personally, i would would drive the Ram to a private auto glass & tint shop.
I do not mean Satellite Auto Glass or any of those Nation Wide Auto Glass Shops
I personally use a shop in the old part of town & has been there forever

2019 Rams had a serious problem with cracked sliding glass window frames, if i am not mistaken, Ram had a recall on those, they were replaced with a newer model.

Check to see if your 2019 Ram falls under that Recall

Scott0700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’d clean off the stains as recommended. Then I’d trade it in. I’d much rather put the $1,900 towards a new truck than fix a problem that may come back in a year.

OP
OP
W

WilliamBR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I agree. After the fix, this Thursday, I am going to trade it. But doing so where I am in Central Oregon is a bit of a journey. I paid $48K for this truck 7 months ago, they value it now at $35K. I have only added 4,5K miles. I added new all-terrain tires ($3K), and a new roll-up truck bed ($3,5K). So a private sale may be in order.

OP
OP
W

WilliamBR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
So fed up with Chrysler Lithia Jeep Bend Oregon. I had the window replaced $1,800. That was 3 weeks ago. Today it rained, and behold, an even bigger water stain on the opposite side in the same spot. It never was the window. So I am now out $2,000. And the problem is not fixed and it's worse. How do I contact Ram? This cannot be it, where I am left to just pay $2,000 plus on repairs every single time it rained. Jeep Bend, Oregon, promised me they checked the fin, the 3rd breaklight. It was the window they claimed. Well, it's was not as we see now. Please. Any advice on getting help from RAM before I sell this junk truck for something else?

TRK_GANG74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So fed up with Chrysler Lithia Jeep Bend Oregon. I had the window replaced $1,800. That was 3 weeks ago. Today it rained, and behold, an even bigger water stain on the opposite side in the same spot. It never was the window. So I am now out $2,000. And the problem is not fixed and it's worse. How do I contact Ram? This cannot be it, where I am left to just pay $2,000 plus on repairs every single time it rained. Jeep Bend, Oregon, promised me they checked the fin, the 3rd breaklight. It was the window they claimed. Well, it's was not as we see now. Please. Any advice on getting help from RAM before I sell this junk truck for something else?
I just had the same problem in mine but it was the 3rd brake light/center stop light. I removed the old seal around the light and used the marine gasket material referenced earlier and put a bead of sealant around and under my shark fin antenna. It’s been 3 months and multiple car washes at home and no leaks at all.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Dm @RamCares maybe you can get some help from them ,it’s worth a shot. Be nice with them as they could possibly make your life a little bit easier.

OP
OP
W

WilliamBR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Thank you for the info! I believe you are right. Now the fight starts with Lithia Bend, Oregon. I asked them multiple times to check the 3rd and they assured me it was not it. Just got of the phone with a branch manager, and he said, bring it it tomorrow. He knows exactly where to look on the power window. I told him that is BRAND NEW, replaced. Endless loop of denial. 90% of folks here said the problem was the center stop light. Obviously a Ram defect. But I think at this stage I need to get some sort of refund, and take it to a 3rd party, instead of this dealership, or get direct help from RAM.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963