Intermittent A/C Fan/Cooling Issues w/fan Delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
Hey folks. I deleted my fan/clutch about a year ago, and went with a 180 t-stat, and haven't looked back. I'm having some intermittent issues now where the cooling fan (installed the V6 fan and shroud) isn't kicking in and I'm coming close to overheating. I haven't found the root cause yet. I swapped the fan (had a spare) and it still happens intermittently, tested the t-stat and it's working, and the upper heater hoses are getting hot, not sure what the problem is. Is the temp sensor that monitors the fan separate from the temp sensor that measures temps for the display? I have a Jay Greene tune, had him send me a tune refresh to see if that fixed it and it happened again to me this evening. Truck is a 2018, hemi, Jay Greene tune and lots of mods.

OP
OP
James OBrien

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
Well, I determined there wasn't a fan problem finally and it was kicking in just fine. My problem ended up being a blown head-gasket caused by some jerk (me) re-using head bolts when I did a cam swap. Cylinder number 8 to be exact, most of the bolts stayed torqued fine, one bolt on the very back lower corner ended up loosening up causing an ever so slight breach between the coolant side and combustion chamber. On the bright side this caused me to not have my truck for 5 months while I pulled the motor and had it completely rebuilt with a forged rotating assembly and made it a 382 stroker :). Engine rebuild during COVID, bad idea...