Intermittent Headlight Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jrex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Reposting with more info:
So my headlights (both) will turn on and off on their own. This happens in both the on and off position of my headlight switch. It is not effected by movement as it happens when not moving and even if the engine is off. I have already checked the contacts on the headlight switch and they are good. There isn’t a dedicated headlight relay or fuse in my vehicle it is controlled via the FCM (Front Control Module). I have already had a diagnostic done and the only thing they found was a short in the dome light. (Which has been there for a while before the problem began). Short of replacing the FCM I have no idea where to look next any help would be appreciated. Also all the interior lights as well as tail lights follow whatever the headlights do. (If I have the headlight switch in the off position and the dimmer all the way down, when it intermittently comes on the dash lights dim as if I had turned the headlights on.) I had the battery and alternator checked and they are 100% fine.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Without looking at the wiring diagram for the headlamps for your truck, the headlamps are receiving an intermittent power or ground from somewhere. Take a look at the wiring diagram for the FCM or Front Control Module. Look at where the power and ground travel and visually inspect the harness. Give the harness a shakedown test to see if you can force-activate the headlamps. Also, you said the headlamps come on even when the engine is off. Does it only occur when the ignition is turned on or does this also occur when the ignition is turned off?