Ipod touch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Damon7278

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After using numerous used Ipod classics, last one **** the bed so i decided to move on and get something better, i like to get some feedback on if anyone uses them through their trucks and what the pros and cons on getting one that is compatible with 4th gen rams.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My iPhone 8 paired with Apple Music works great. No need to store music any more, I have everything at the tip of my finger.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why not just get a large SD card for the Samsung and store everything on there? The iPod will be a thing of the past probably after this year.

TwistedJake

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi
I already have a samsung note, i wanna get a ipod touch for the truck...

I have an old touch, like 1st gen, that worked well in my 14 with the Uconnect 3.0. When I upgraded to a Uconnect 5.0 it didn't work and had to dig in the junk drawer for a one generation newer touch which works fine. Rarely do I use it though as I tend to stream with Google Play and my Note 8 via BT.

OP
OP
D

Damon7278

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ummmmmmmmmmmm no luck with any ipod touch and a SD card? where does the sc card go?

Can Water Geo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ummmmmmmmmmmm no luck with any ipod touch and a SD card? where does the sc card go?

Hell just spend a few bucks on an external hard drive or USB stick (depending on the size of your collection). I haven’t tried it but I assume you can easily navigate your collection using the head unit that way.

OP
OP
D

Damon7278

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hell just spend a few bucks on an external hard drive or USB stick (depending on the size of your collection). I haven’t tried it but I assume you can easily navigate your collection using the head unit that way.

I tried a USB stick but it didn't work but then again i had Microsoft documents on it, technology what a pain in the ass

Can Water Geo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I tried a USB stick but it didn't work but then again i had Microsoft documents on it, technology what a pain in the ass

A couple of little checks I’d suggest, see what the stick format is (should be FAT32) and if your audio files are mp3s? Also, I’m a new owner myself so I didn’t realize that only one of two USB ports connects to the head 7nit (the other is power only).

Good luck though!

OP
OP
D

Damon7278

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A couple of little checks I’d suggest, see what the stick format is (should be FAT32) and if your audio files are mp3s? Also, I’m a new owner myself so I didn’t realize that only one of two USB ports connects to the head 7nit (the other is power only).

Good luck though!

Fat32? i tell ya, this stuff is not simple anymore haha

danh63

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have a Ipod touch and it sounds great. A lot better than the Ipod classic

BadHabit2Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
and you can not put your audio files in seperate folders, they all have to be at the root on the USB.

I use an iPhone 5s for an iPod in my truck. I put it in airplane mode and connect it with USB. works great.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think for simplicity, using your phone as source is the best bet. Your Samsung should have a slot for an microSD card, probably by the battery. Also depending on your truck you may have a slot for a regular SD card that would work just like USB. If you like the features of the iPod and prefer something very easy to use, upgrading to an iPhone and using that is a good choice as well.

danh63

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I believe it's the 6th . The sound difference is night and day difference. Also in itunes make sure you turn volume up to 100% in the settings

OP
OP
D

Damon7278

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe it's the 6th . The sound difference is night and day difference. Also in itunes make sure you turn volume up to 100% in the settings

Niceeee, thanks for the feedback, looking at them on ebay as we speak....

OP
OP
D

Damon7278

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Stupid question, is there any difference with the generations such 5th, 6th and 7th which is the last one...

danh63

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Stupid question, is there any difference with the generations such 5th, 6th and 7th which is the last one...

Not real sure on that but I would doubt it very much. I have 3 of them that I have bought over the last few years. I know I'm lazy and don't want to change between cars. I'm sure one or two of them might be earlier versions and I can't tell a difference. I did notice if the setting weren't adjusted to 100 % that made a big difference but didn't help the classic at all

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I use the iPod, the HDD and Bluetooth streaming from my iPhone.
Disk can be a pain because menus aren't very flexible, but at 32 G it holds a lot of music--nuisance to load though. iPod tunes are reliable, but get old. iPhone is good for streaming when I'm tired of the other stuff or its a special occasion like listening to a lil Diddlee-Dee music for St. *****'s.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Phones via BT sound like crap to me. And extra memory on a Samdung is costly, quirky, and draws down power. Folks get by with them because thats all they have or know. Sometimes the spouse will play an XM show via USB which is OK. I hate it when my background music gets interrupted by a marketing phone call.

I Like to use iTunes to throw a playlist of 10-15 hours of favorite tunes on either a iPod touch or SD card and let it run. I never have run across a format problem. I don't like to be driving distracted and picking through menus, so I only load songs I like ... and its easy to skip one or two songs via the steering wheel buttons. I also have a retired iPhone I use as an iPod. All work fine in the 2016 RAM, even the second gen touch if I recall. I usually run off the SD card when in the RAM. Those iPod touches are durable, I have one in daily use for 10 or so years now. If I'm in the mood for something new or different, I listen to the radio. Radio has upped their game over the bast few years.

So if all you want to have is some background music, its more or less plug and play.

Otherwise a subscription to apple music and a iPhone connected via USB (or a touch with a mobil hot spot) is all I need. ATT sells a well performing hotspot if anyone cares. Dunno about you guys, by my iPhone gets kinda warm with the hot spot activated in low signal areas.

Last edited: