IRSmart build log, “Big Red”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JHD1827

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also wanted to ask how you like the swing out boxes. Are they holding up well?

OP
OP
IRSmart

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Sorry if I'm jumping ahead and someone has asked this already...how's the ARB compressor working in that location. I've been searching high and low for where to mount mine and seen a few of the Jeep guys do this but not PW. Surprised no one makes an under hood bracket for this truck. How hard was it to remove and realign the fender?
So I wasn’t the first to do this, but it isn’t overly popular due to what’s involved in installing it. You have to remove the fender completely, which was easy for me because I’ve done it before with my snorkel install. There is very little clearance in there, to the point I had to trim the center metal shroud and some of one of the dust filters on top to get the fender to sit back right. I didn’t drill into the frame, I used 2 square U clamps to clamp it to the frame rails. It’s held up for me well so far, but it’s gonna be a huge pain to diagnose if it ever fails.
Also wanted to ask how you like the swing out boxes. Are they holding up well?
I’m a big fan. It needs some grease on the connections every now and then but other than that it’s been perfect for my needs.

OP
OP
IRSmart

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Lets say you wanted to change wheels to something with an offset that works and ditch the spacer.. Would the cut studs long enough or would you have to replace them? I like the factory wheels better than any option I've found and may go the spacer route if I ever make the jump to 37s.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
If I wanted to switch to a different wheel, say the AEV Saltas, that have the correct offset, I’d no longer have enough length in the wheel studs once the spacers were removed, and I’d need to replace them....all 32 of them.

John Wooten

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That is a pretty nice rig! Did you make your slide bars across the bottom or mod some other companies design?

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
So my mod today isn’t very visual since it’s hidden. When I added my snorkel, I elected not to cut the hole for the OEM antenna and instead relocated the antenna inside the frame rail in the fender. That didn’t work, and I lost all my reception. I found this guy on Amazon. It uses the same connector as the one for the antenna that is under the glove box and super accessible, so I didn’t need to rip the dash apart to get to the back of the radio. I am going to put it up inside the headliner near the passenger side visor, making it completely hidden. Gives me my reception back. Bonus points, I now have an unused grommet in the passenger door jamb for use in my next project...

View attachment 210436

Hey Smarts .. how is the reception with this antenna .. I am thinking of getting it ... I hate the look of an antenna on the side of my truck ...

OP
OP
IRSmart

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Hey Smarts .. how is the reception with this antenna .. I am thinking of getting it ... I hate the look of an antenna on the side of my truck ...
My signal is probably about 70% what it was with the antenna. But I use CarPlay most of the time anyway. I actually ran no antenna for a while, but I was tired of starting the truck and gettingblasted with static, so I sought another option.

OP
OP
IRSmart

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Well, it’s been a while since I’ve had any updates. Mainly let things cool down after Moab, and I bought a Mustang this summer that’s been my new project. But the truck remains my daily driver (well, once the fun of 450 horsepower wears off...yeah right lol) and my main project. But with all that came a pretty big upgrade tonight.

I always promised myself that as soon as AEV released the rear bumper, no matter how poor I was, I would order it, and I did. I was one of the first that day to place their orders, and the first to identify a mistake in their instructions when it arrived lol. But in all its glory, here is the AEV HD Ram premium rear bumper! Complete with 4WDKing 3” LED pods wired directly to the backup lights using a Curt 5 way flat trailer harness adaptor cut up so I could access the truck’s backup lights (and potentially parking, brake, and turn signal lights in the future if I need to) without cutting into the factory wiring. Sealed it all up with some dielectric grease because, I don’t know if you’ve been paying attention, but I tend to get a little muddy. Had to modify the truck’s backup sensor harness, but after a lot of cursing, dropped bolts into Narnia, and freezing my ass off in 30 degree weather, it’s all done!

01417915-4216-42D1-91F9-1AEACC8ACFB3.jpeg

OP
OP
IRSmart

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
This weeks mod was brought to you by Mother Nature. My cab lights were leaking, so since I’d have to pay a $100 deductible to have the warranty replace the ones I already have, I decided to spend a few extra bucks and get a set of Recon OLED smoked cab lights with amber LEDs. I’m eager to see how these look at night. Initial impressions are that they don’t scatter enough light, but we’ll wait and see what they look like at night. Maybe they’ll grow on me.

A047CB1E-C6AF-49EA-B7E9-2C1E9C3509DE.jpeg

Havn2muchfun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Looking forward to your thoughts, have been going back and forth on those. Mostly because the black would look better than the clear on mine, but was hesitant to find out if they seal well. And with your love of water.......

OP
OP
IRSmart

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Looking forward to your thoughts, have been going back and forth on those. Mostly because the black would look better than the clear on mine, but was hesitant to find out if they seal well. And with your love of water.......
Yeah, water and I don’t always get along. This includes frozen water, too, apparently! Destroyed much of my bumper last weekend driving through frozen water that was bumper-top high. New fog lights arrived today, and AEV is putting together a quote on the rest of the parts I need.

I think if I had to do it again, I’d get their regular LED lights, not the OLED. The light output on these is pretty directional, it’s not dispersed like the OEM lights were. Not that I’m unhappy with these, just some retrospective feedback.

B Mitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
6.4L
Nice, any idea if they have a white light that would match the head lights?

B Mitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
6.4L
Oh and do 2018 models use same lights/replacements as 2019+ ?

OP
OP
IRSmart

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Nice, any idea if they have a white light that would match the head lights?

Oh and do 2018 models use same lights/replacements as 2019+ ?
Yes and no, in that order. I don’t think they have ones for 2019+ yet, the ones that they have now are listed as fresh install only for those years, which tells me that they don’t use the same mounting locations.

Fitzreefer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7 L
Need a nice day time picture of that bumper Justin. Looks pretty sweet.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Well, it’s been a while since I’ve had any updates. Mainly let things cool down after Moab, and I bought a Mustang this summer that’s been my new project. But the truck remains my daily driver (well, once the fun of 450 horsepower wears off...yeah right lol) and my main project. But with all that came a pretty big upgrade tonight.

I always promised myself that as soon as AEV released the rear bumper, no matter how poor I was, I would order it, and I did. I was one of the first that day to place their orders, and the first to identify a mistake in their instructions when it arrived lol. But in all its glory, here is the AEV HD Ram premium rear bumper! Complete with 4WDKing 3” LED pods wired directly to the backup lights using a Curt 5 way flat trailer harness adaptor cut up so I could access the truck’s backup lights (and potentially parking, brake, and turn signal lights in the future if I need to) without cutting into the factory wiring. Sealed it all up with some dielectric grease because, I don’t know if you’ve been paying attention, but I tend to get a little muddy. Had to modify the truck’s backup sensor harness, but after a lot of cursing, dropped bolts into Narnia, and freezing my ass off in 30 degree weather, it’s all done!

View attachment 233193
I really like that bumper!! What did it weigh out to? Probably cannot use the step with that setup though?

OP
OP
IRSmart

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I really like that bumper!! What did it weigh out to? Probably cannot use the step with that setup though?
Thanks! It wasn’t nearly as bad as the front bumper, but still heavier than stock (it’s a lot stronger) and since the tubes attach to the frame in two different places each, there are more parts. But I didn’t pay attention to the shipping manifest to see the exact weight. And I’ve never seen how the rear step mounts but I’d imagine it’s incompatible.

OP
OP
IRSmart

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Decided to stimulate the economy a bit this week. One of my tabs broke, and one of the bulbs became unclocked in the housing and was shaking when I hit a bump. That was enough to push me over the edge and get the Morimoto XB LED headlights. I was a little apprehensive about how they looked before they arrived, that all went away when I was finished. I’m still on the fence about whether to keep the turn signals sequential or non, but everyone says sequential. Only bad part about the install was that it was too bright outside to see my OEM beam pattern against the garage door, so I couldn’t tape mark the old headlight beam before disassembly to make it easier to aim the new lights, so I’ll have to do that tonight. Other than that it was a super straightforward install. I’m a big fan of them.

49867D18-10BD-4BD1-AC86-20BC76B83A30.jpeg

AA4D4C81-4B49-4A15-9907-08049929A548.jpeg

E71B7369-7B2D-4794-8AD7-46437804E777.jpeg

B44A4BC1-2D57-485E-B5C2-4978460D4F43.jpeg

OP
OP
IRSmart

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Those look awesome nice!
Thanks! They have a very “5th gen” look to them. I was hesitant on them at first, not sure how I’d like going from a large amber turn signal to white LED running lights, but all doubt was gone after the install. I’m about to go out and aim them now that it’s dark out.