Is a module required for remote start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackshadow2804

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I've found tons of threads on turning on remote start with AlfaOBD, but non of them mentioned needing a module or controller for it to work, they just mention needing to wire the hood latch

Are there any other needed parts, or do you just have to turn it on and get a key fob with the remote start button?

Thanks

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
There is 1 or more companies that make a kit.
The kit does need to be programmed

I believe it is called an interface

If i recall correctly, you unplug something near or on the headlight switch, then plug this wiring into a pigtail & then replug the original wiring back into it.
Then over by the ignition switch, you unplug some wiring, & plug this interface, then plug the original wiring into it, then i think there was a single wire that has to be plugged into something else.

I was googling & found it, then i some how deleted it :(

I may have found it again
Start-X-Remote-Starter-kit

You need to find the Kit that fits your truck, there are several kits for Ram trucks

for instance

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've found tons of threads on turning on remote start with AlfaOBD, but non of them mentioned needing a module or controller for it to work, they just mention needing to wire the hood latch

Are there any other needed parts, or do you just have to turn it on and get a key fob with the remote start button?

Thanks
If you are referring to aftermarket then it’s like GTYankee posted. If you are referring to factory remote start then your RF hub needs to be capable of supporting it. In your bio it says you have a 2018 6.7 diesel. I’m not familiar with the diesel trucks so they may be different. If it’s like the gas engines I believe the 2018 RF hubs all support remote start. You would need the hood latch safety switch and a remote start capable fob. You will also need a way to enable the remote start function and program the new fobs. This is typically done via a Bluetooth OBD2 dongle and a program to communicate with the BCM like AlfaOBD or JScan. There are several threads on this forum how to do it. The AlfaOBD thread is VERY long but has a wealth of information on programming just about anything you want into these trucks.

OP
OP
B

Blackshadow2804

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
If you are referring to aftermarket then it’s like GTYankee posted. If you are referring to factory remote start then your RF hub needs to be capable of supporting it. In your bio it says you have a 2018 6.7 diesel. I’m not familiar with the diesel trucks so they may be different. If it’s like the gas engines I believe the 2018 RF hubs all support remote start. You would need the hood latch safety switch and a remote start capable fob. You will also need a way to enable the remote start function and program the new fobs. This is typically done via a Bluetooth OBD2 dongle and a program to communicate with the BCM like AlfaOBD or JScan. There are several threads on this forum how to do it. The AlfaOBD thread is VERY long but has a wealth of information on programming just about anything you want into these trucks.
I have no idea why my bio said that... But I have a '06 5.9, not 2018