Is it legal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
So I am not going to delete my diesel, but I know some guys that have done it, not real recently though. But would a dealer legally take a deleted truck in on trade? Can they re-sale it without the smog equipment on it?

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Nope.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I'd guess they could take it in trade, but they can't sell it legally, without putting it all back.

In the US, it's Federal Law, no matter if the state has law or not.

I know Texas and NY, and others have been cracking down on people driving them. Been in news for months.
The state you have listed in your profile, Indiana, it's not legal to sell or drive with it deleted.

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A dealer that "might" take it as trade, would have to put all of the original smog equipment back - this means that they would be very unlikely to take it in - and if they did agree to do so, would mark a LOT off of the trade in value - probably close to a $5K loss or even more for to the person trading it in.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Take in as a trade, yes. But to resell it they would have to make it Emmissions compliant.

Quick story in my state, dealers had bought a "deleted" truck at auction. These trucks were "gps tagged" to follow where they ended up. The DEP then monitored the dealerships that often advertised on the web. The dealerships advertised the truck's as "Deleted" in hopes it would bring a quick sale and make it more desirable. Can you guess who showed up to "buy" the trucks? Lol.
The Officer posed as a buyer and the salesman continued to push the deal as a "deleted" truck which dug them into a deeper hole and were busted.
I don't recall the amount as this happened a few years ago but they were fined thousands of dollars & had to make the truck compliant before sale.

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Take in as a trade, yes. But to resell it they would have to make it Emmissions compliant.

Quick story in my state, dealers had bought a "deleted" truck at auction. These trucks were "gps tagged" to follow where they ended up. The DEP then monitored the dealerships that often advertised on the web. The dealerships advertised the truck's as "Deleted" in hopes it would bring a quick sale and make it more desirable. Can you guess who showed up to "buy" the trucks? Lol.
The Officer posed as a buyer and the salesman continued to push the deal as a "deleted" truck which dug them into a deeper hole and were busted.
I don't recall the amount as this happened a few years ago but they were fined thousands of dollars & had to make the truck compliant before sale.
Ah yes, good ole entrapment

One of my favorite government overreaches

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For your reading pleasure.

Apart from the fact that I'm better the person who wrote that does not have a driver's license, this is just one more example of too much government

I guess there is no murder, **** or illegal criminals left in New Jersey to deal with?

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Apart from the fact that I'm better the person who wrote that does not have a driver's license, this is just one more example of too much government

I guess there is no murder, **** or illegal criminals left in New Jersey to deal with?

Hey I never said I'm for it! But yeah, they created and passed new state laws just for it, so it's not the Feds in this case coming at you, it's the State. It's getting as bad as CA in too many ways.
Oh and the State has gone after private owners on Facebook marketplace too. I'll stop there, this isnt the thread for it.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel

Reading that article made me want to puke. The hyperbole and what not was as over the top as the acting on Jersey Shore. The reporter sounds like some Big Hair shore girl, OMG you're from Joizy, I am from Joizy, what exit are you?

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It depends on the state. In Alabama, a dealer will both sell, trade, or buy a deleted diesel. I sold my deleted 16 3500 to a local BMW dealership and they had it sold before I left the lot. I traded in my deleted 2012 2500 to a dealer in Tennessee to buy the 16 3500. I also traded the same dealership a deleted 08 F250 for the 12 2500.

There are tons of them here, in GA, and TN for sale at the dealership with full deletes. They even advertise that they're deleted.

These are all deleted trucks:

1710000290588.png1710000408823.png1710000815692.png1710000906141.png1710001133835.png1710001265932.png1710001376540.png

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
First mistake they made was advertising them as "deleted/tuned ",anybody with an eye and a$$hole should know by now you're gonna get some unwanted attention from the gubbermint a$$holes as soon as you start advertising "deleted and tuned" vehicles .

Last edited:

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Ah yes, good ole entrapment

One of my favorite government overreaches

Simply providing the opportunity to commit a crime is not entrapment.
Did you read the article ?

The one that says "According to the state’s complaint, Manheim sold 214 vehicles in New Jersey from December 2, 2016 to March 15, 2019 that were explicitly advertised as having tampered pollution controls. Listings for those vehicles included tags like “ALTERED EMISSIONS,” “NO CAT” and “EGR DELETE.”

Regardless of if you agree with the laws or not, it's pretty common sense that advertising you are breaking them invites attention, to include gathering of evidence. Might as well complain they advertised prostitution available on site then got upset when vice cops showed up and pretended to be potential johns.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
First mistake they made was advertising them as "deleted/tuned ",anybody with an eye and a$$hole should know by now you're gonna get some unwanted attention from the gubbermint a$$holes as soon as you start advertising "deleted and tuned" vehicles .
Yep. A lot of the bigger dealerships here don't run it in their advertisements, but when you show up to look (or if you know how to spot them) you'll see that they're deleted. I always end up deleting mine, but I don't want one off the lot already done. It's so common around here that it's harder to find a non-deleted one, even at the big dealers.

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How do you figure entrapment? They advertised it as deleted! Be like if I advertised a set of snap on sockets as stolen and not expected any visits from the po-po.
I was referring to post #5