IS IT TIME 5.7 TO GET DROPPED ???

do you think CHRYSLER need to drop the 5.7 hemi

• 5.7 hemi is ok in ram1500

Votes: 85 73.3%
  • TIME FOR CHANGE !!!! need more power to keep up with competition

Votes: 32 27.6%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Well I'm sure the answer changes if we go back to 1920's too; I'm referring to recent engines, specifically what engines you can currently buy right now new.

It's also not "beloved hemi" for me, it's an engine with good qualities and some areas it needs attention. No doubt the the 350 was a great engine (we had a 305 in our family for years) but it output half the power, with 4 times the fuel and 8 times the emissions.
I can only comment on what you post, not what you meant to say. You posted that "The 5.7 hemi is the only half ton engine used (successfully) in a 2500 that saw extreme work usage.". All I dis was point out that your statement was false. You didn't say in the last x number of years, or engines you can currently buy right now new. Since your comment didn't mention anything about power output, fuel economy, or emissions, it wasn't obvious that you also meant to include them in your statement.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I can only comment on what you post, not what you meant to say. You posted that "The 5.7 hemi is the only half ton engine used (successfully) in a 2500 that saw extreme work usage.". All I dis was point out that your statement was false. You didn't say in the last x number of years, or engines you can currently buy right now new. Since your comment didn't mention anything about power output, fuel economy, or emissions, it wasn't obvious that you also meant to include them in your statement.

You don't need to explain every reason for your posts; I wrote something, you questioned it, I clarified. Let's move on.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You don't need to explain every reason for your posts; I wrote something, you questioned it, I clarified. Let's move on.
Sorry, but your defensive response made me feel the need to get defensive LOL. Agreed, lets move on. :cheers:

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
This thread needs to be closed. Too much drama and hate will lead to nothing.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well it seems the OP gets his wish if you believe the media; Stellantis Cancelling Hemi V8
I think a little more careful reading is required. The accuracy aside for the moment, the author seems to be specifically addressing the SRT division and cars. He does not say all Hemi V8 will disappear, and i suspect if he believed that he'd be more than anxious to say it.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 062760 miles.

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I think a little more careful reading is required. The accuracy aside for the moment, the author seems to be specifically addressing the SRT division and cars. He does not say all Hemi V8 will disappear, and i suspect if he believed that he'd be more than anxious to say it.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 062760 miles.
I agree more careful reading is required, read it again, he is not specifically speaking SRT, he references SRT but moves on. Nore specifically ...

"Then when it came out recently that the Hellcats are getting canceled at the end of 2023 I predicted that would also be the curtain call for all the Hemi V8s, something which was just confirmed.
Replacing the Hemi V8 will be the GME T6 or the Global Medium Engine Turbocharged 6, a name which just rolls off the tongue. It will be used for all Stellantis Global medium platform models, which include the Dodge Challenger and Charger."

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
Sunday is my only day off as it is and the wife and I on average will ride more than 300 miles just sight seeing and going to different places. Guess I'll have to add an extra hour to our already time strapped trips to charge my battery.
Why would you not just charge at home, and do a 5-15 minute quick charge if needed extra range to get back?

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
I can’t say I’ve ever worked out the mpg. But I know my fuel bill isn’t lying to me.
I guess people get sore over peoples real world experience.
As I’ve said in other posts. I’ve owned 15,17 and 19 ram with 5.7
Also we have owned 17,19,21 f150s
With my 2003 and 2015 RAMs I used say they'd pass anything but a fuel pump, but the competition sped up.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
This thread needs to be closed. Too much drama and hate will lead to nothing.
Ya think? Between the continued (unnecessary) animosity, the trolling and the fact that the OP is no longer with us, it seems likely.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can’t say I’ve ever worked out the mpg. But I know my fuel bill isn’t lying to me.
I guess people get sore over peoples real world experience.
As I’ve said in other posts. I’ve owned 15,17 and 19 ram with 5.7
Also we have owned 17,19,21 f150s
17 was a 5.0 19 was a 2.7 and 21 is 3.5
So I guess I’m just cheating physics
And Hemi and ford motors are both big $
Problem with hemis is every one is going to have top end issues that hasn’t changed and never will.
There is no way your 5.0 gets twice the mpg of the 5.7, same with the 3.5 - towing, unloaded, sitting in the garage. Not one of those motors gets 30+ mpg on the highway. You said they use half of the gas of the hemi, which means twice the mpg of the hemi.
I know for sure, they almost all get the same mpg as the hemi when towing at highway speeds.
I get 12.5-13.5 mpg towing my boat (about 5000 lbs or so) @ 74 mph on the level - so which ford truck do you have that will ger 24-26 mpg under the same conditions???

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The biggest issue I see with the GME T6 is who designed it. Let's just say I don't have a whole lot of faith in their designs.
I don't know if it can handle the 2500 and up series either as it doesn't sound like a truck motor but more of a car/suv/maybe 1500 setup.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Judging by the Motor Trend Truck Of the Year I think we're seeing the death knell of a lot of V8s...

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I was discussing this thread with my Chevy cousin and my Ford cousin.
My Ford cousin is also a mechanic-(cause you have to be if you own a Ford-LOL)
made the comment that the 5.7L Hemi is the Danny Treo of motors.
Made in Mexico but super popular in the States- and still going strong I might add...
( I believe he's from LA actually)

Last edited:

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Am I the only one that remembers the 80s and something having just over 200hp being plenty for anything and woo boy if you had something 3 or 400 hp? Granted comparing apples to oranges but saying nearly anything these days is truly underpowered is a bit of an exaggeration.

Yup. Generally mated to a 3 speed auto or 4 speed manual. I've made the point before we still got things done. Just not as fast. Of course, the 55mph speed limit was still in place then. I'd have a tough time returning to that at this point. Might as well walk...;)

ChaosMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yup. Generally mated to a 3 speed auto or 4 speed manual. I've made the point before we still got things done. Just not as fast. Of course, the 55mph speed limit was still in place then. I'd have a tough time returning to that at this point. Might as well walk...;)
I dislike like I'm thinking in "...back in my day" terms o_O :evillol:

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I remember the 55 speed limit days. If anyone drove then they would be tickled with 70 mph now.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
I am seriosly considering the Rivian on year 2 or 3, depending on how things shake out. I will not buy a year 1, and why I even waited for a 2020 RAM 1500.

That said, i do not have the spreadsheet in front of me, nor do i have real world towing vs battery drain. But my estimations have the rivian north of 20mpg pulling my 5k pound travel trailer. With the extended range batter in theory it could tow the same distance or slighlty more than my 33 gallon tank.

I still have work to do determining if EV is right for me, and with the GMC announcment, that adds another layer.

I do find this thread commical though, there are a ****ton of 5.7 HEMI on the road, remember they are in cars, trucks, suv...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sabo