Is my motor supposed to shut off?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Baashar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited with the eTorque system and Ive been driving the truck for about 3 months now and not once has the engine shut off. The RPM needle stays up at idle and the motor never shuts off at traffic lights. I was under the impression that it shuts the vehicle off and then starts it back up seamlessly after the wheels start to move under electric power just a little bit. Did I misunderstand how this works and the motor never shuts off?

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I believe that the auto stop/start also depends on the demand placed on the vehicle. Meaning if you have AC set at max and its hot outside, the demand for turning the AC compressor on will keep the engine running. At least this is the way it works in our other vehicle with auto start/stop. But to have it never do so seems odd. I cant speak for the Ram setup, but in our GMC I can disable it from a menu...I have been forbidden to do so because its her GMC, even though personally I find it supremely annoying to sit at a light with the motor off It is unnatural.

OP
OP
Baashar

Baashar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well it is summertime so I guess its possible although Ive driven around without the AC on too.

I cant disable mine as far as I know, and I dont have the button near the shifter to turn auto stop on/off like models without eTorque have

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
It look like you have the 5.7 engine which the eTorque is an option unlike the V6 models. The eTorque for the 5.7 looks like this: images.jpg

As for operation, the eTorque will power the vehicle forward and start the engine at the same time. It's also able to help boost the engine power in certain situations.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If there's no button to disable it by the shift knob then I would guess that the op doesn't have e-torque.

OP
OP
Baashar

Baashar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is the opposite, models with the eTorque do not give you the option to turn off auto start/stop while models without do. I am certain I have eTorque

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Gotta keep that extremely expensive 48V system charging.

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It is the opposite, models with the eTorque do not give you the option to turn off auto start/stop while models without do. I am certain I have eTorque
Pop the hood and you'll know right away, cant miss it

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel

You are wrong and if you read what you wrote you will understand how that doesnt make sense. Why would trucks without etorque have a button to turn it off?

Only trucks with etorque will have the button to disable it. If you don't have the button then you will not have etorque. Pop the hood and take a look. If you've got a regular alternator then you do not have etorque.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have to agree with everyone here, think you have it wrong. Never seen a non etorque with auto stop start, and as others have mentioned, it wouldn't really make sense and not sure how that would work. Pop the hood and let us see a picture, it will be easy to tell.

OP
OP
Baashar

Baashar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You are wrong and if you read what you wrote you will understand how that doesnt make sense. Why would trucks without etorque have a button to turn it off?

Only trucks with etorque will have the button to disable it. If you don't have the button then you will not have etorque. Pop the hood and take a look. If you've got a regular alternator then you do not have etorque.

lol wow, youre right, my apologies

I believed that all Rams have auto on/off and that you had to disable it if you dont like that feature every time you got into the vehicle as it is turned on by default. While with models that have eTorque, the start/stop was imperceptible and therefore you didnt have a reason to turn it off...if that makes sense at all?

Idk how I thought I had it all this time, I could have sworn it said so on the sticker. I was actually just testing you guys, good job, you passed, carry on :)

0.jpg

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
lol wow, youre right, my apologies

I believed that all Rams have auto on/off and that you had to disable it if you dont like that feature every time you got into the vehicle as it is turned on by default. While with models that have eTorque, the start/stop was imperceptible and therefore you didnt have a reason to turn it off...if that makes sense at all?

Idk how I thought I had it all this time, I could have sworn it said so on the sticker. I was actually just testing you guys, good job, you passed, carry on :)

View attachment 168936

it was an interesting notion, anyway!