Is PW right for me?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gxgn

Reaction score
Hi, I’m looking for advice from those of you who got the PW for over landing and offroading or, who are offroading but you another rig for that purpose.

My main goal for this first truck for me would be to have a capable, comfortable rig that can do Offroading and get get me to trails that are 10-15 hours away comfortably.
My past rigs have been well built Montero gen 2 and a Land Cruiser 200. The 200 had arb bumpers, sliders, 33s, winch and took me anywhere I wanted. Some of the more difficult trails I’ve done include Mengel Pass and Black Bear pass. I know the PW would struggle with my skills and it’s size on BB pass but how about the rest of the trails like Imogene, Mineral Creek, Engineer Pass etc? How hard is to pass a group of rigs on the trail? How difficult is to fit some of the more narrow trails (assuming I get the 360 camera option)?
I am realistically only drive once or twice a year to these trails and although is over 1000 miles away I don’t think I’ll do more than 5k miles a year so the cost of gas doesn’t scare me that much.
If I get a PW I’ll probably not modify it much, 35s, sliders and maybe some armor. Down the road maybe an RSI .

Would I be better off building a smaller truck like a Ford Ranger (Tacoma is not right for me, too underpowered for my taste).

please share your thoughts… thanks

Attachments

• 2D436091-C7C9-46ED-B860-6AB6C705DD2E.jpeg
    2D436091-C7C9-46ED-B860-6AB6C705DD2E.jpeg
    105.4 KB · Views: 14
  • FA002389-5D99-42EA-8009-1FF361CC4B0E.jpeg
    FA002389-5D99-42EA-8009-1FF361CC4B0E.jpeg
    191.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
If you have to ask...
4m95fb.jpg

Just kidding...
I don't overland but I'm pretty happy with my PowerWagon over all.
It tows great and claws though crappy roads like it's on rails.
Gas mileage is a b*tch, but frankly I've owned 1/2 tons that weren't any better.
It's heavy too, so if you're heading into areas where excess weight could be a problem that's a consideration but it rides pretty nice for a 2500 IMO...
Not much you have to do to it for it's offroad performance, 35's bolt right up, disconnecting sway bar, lockers, winch are all there...
But even used they aren't a very cheap option...
Check out member jerry clements PW rig...

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Gxgn

Reaction score
Hi Frank, the gas is less of an issue since my LC was only getting about 12~14 mpg due to the extra weight. Do you need to run premium gas in the PW?
I checked the thread you mentioned, really nice rig. I didn’t know we have great outfitters in Iowa.

@retired for me the switchbacks after the stairs in Black Bear pass was difficult in LC. I would think it would be a nightmare in a wagon that’s over 40” longer.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi Frank, the gas is less of an issue since my LC was only getting about 12~14 mpg due to the extra weight. Do you need to run premium gas in the PW?
I checked the thread you mentioned, really nice rig. I didn’t know we have great outfitters in Iowa.

@retired for me the switchbacks after the stairs in Black Bear pass was difficult in LC. I would think it would be a nightmare in a wagon that’s over 40” longer.
I run 87 and that is what the owners manual calls for. they run those tour trucks down it and I swear looks like 16 yoa kids driving them. I can't remember but I think we pass one on this video. watch

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
I run 87 and that is what the owners manual calls for. they run those tour trucks down it and I swear looks like 16 yoa kids driving them. I can't remember but I think we pass one on this video. watch

2/3rds of Colorado gasoline sales are 85 octane. No vehicle owners manual will call for it, ever. That's what my PW gets. 87 octane ethanol free goes into my ranch equipment small engines up to 24 horsepower, but it's at the highest pump price per gallon where available. 85 octane gasoline ($4.999) is the only pump available besides diesel ($6.0999) within our nearest rural town.

Black Bear Pass is a one-way tourist road. The Power Wagon won't fit on the less popular Battlement Mesa Trail, whereas, a Jeep Rubicon on 35's will. It's too tall to clear obstacles (trees). Too wide too without bush whacking everything in sight. Pass an approaching vehicle on a non-tourist 1,000 foot cliff section of the JQS Trail with a Power Wagon and then stop for a minute at the trail side memorial where some people didn't survive.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The PW is big and I mean big, but it could handle Imogene and Engineer's just fine. The switchbacks will be a challenge but nothing that it cannot handle with some patience. I haven't done BB so cannot comment on that one. It also suffers from its heavy weight. I have buried mine with both lockers engaged and pulled it out with my Wrangler. If you are looking for a rig that is as capable as a Wrangler offroad, it isn't. However, if you want to overland and get in the bush on fire roads and moderate trails, it does a great job. The lockers and disco's give you a piece of mind that if it gets hairy, you have options. Oh, and the hood is massive and very hard to see over, so figure in a front camera.

For a highway ride, it is great with gobs of power and a nice ride. Loaded down you can set the cruise at 85mph and it will just sail along easily and quietly. I love the truck on a long highway trip except when stopping at the gas station, lol.

I love my PW but if it was my only rig and I was running mountain trails like you described, it wouldn't be in a PW. It is just too big for up there and too wide. I would build a Gladiator instead.

OP
OP
G

Gxgn

Reaction score
I'm trying to like the Gladiator but I'm failing - I know it's just a personal taste but I find it ugly. Maybe I'll wait for 2023 Ranger Raptor or whatever new Taco comes up with more power. I reached out to a RAM dealer recommended on this forum and they advised it would be a 6-8 month wait to get a PW anyway.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm trying to like the Gladiator but I'm failing - I know it's just a personal taste but I find it ugly. Maybe I'll wait for 2023 Ranger Raptor or whatever new Taco comes up with more power.

Gladiator only looks good with 37in tires and a square style canopy.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When i bought my power wagon i was actually at the the dealer buying a gladiator. I was a hard core jeep guy. Had owned 4 previous wranglers. Was at the dealer getting ready to sign papers on a gladiator rubicon and my wife suggested we take a power wagon for a test drive.

jerry clements

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Power Wagon
I went from a Gen 1 Raptor to a PW and it was the right choice for me. I had toyed with a smaller truck. A smaller truck will not haul more than your 200 series. The PW is easier to maneuver than a Raptor because it is not as wide. The disconnecting sway bars also come in handy over rough terrain.

If I had gone with a smaller truck, it would have been a ZR2.

OP
OP
G

Gxgn

Reaction score
@jerry clements i tested a zr2 few years ago, I like how it handled, it felt “light” but I’m sure with larger tires and some armor it would feel a bit different. Right now the interior feels a bit dated to me. I also contemplated a Ranger, they are fairly cheap if you buy used and leaves you a lot of budget for the build But I thought if I was to buy a Ranger I might as well wait for next year model. Did you run into many trails where you wished you have gone with a midsize truck?

jerry clements

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Power Wagon
If your simply off roading and not hauling camping gear a smaller truck may be more practical. The larger truck allows for more gear, more comfort.

To me it's a no brainer when a decked-out Gladiator is about the same price as a PW. A PW is a lot more vehicle for the same price, has the same running gear as the jeep plus a winch. The PW on 35s with the lockers on and sway bars disconnected is very comfortable off road rig. Ive taken many trails with the PW that I didnt finish with the Raptor, not because the Raptor wouldnt make it but I was tired of getting beat to death.

The PW on tight cliffside trails with an oncoming vehicle is not a pleasant experience. Tight switchbacks and narrow trails with heavy brush are also not pleasant. Size has benefits and detractors.

Last edited:

TRX21POWERWAGON22

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 & 2022
Engine
6.2L & 6.4L
I have a TRX, PW & a built 2002 taco on 1 ton axles & 40's. I only bought the PW as I couldn't get another TRX for the right price & they wanted too much for the 1500's. I have always wanted a PW, but never I mean never wanted a 2500, but with prices I was pushed into a 2500. Since I decided to go 2500 and gasser was required I decided on the PW and fits my needs perfectly and way better then the TRX as it is my camping, tow rig and trail/ offroader, but I'll never go on crazy stuff since I have a Rig for built for that. I had a 2015 JKU on 40's back when wranglers were dirt cheap to buy(built it for just 35,000 including the Jeep price and was 100% better then the rubicon as the only thing left was the engine and transmission), but since I had the taco I never used it after a while. I wanted a Gladiator, but I can't get my head around the cost to built it plus it can't tow my 10,000 trailer. If I was to buy another Jeep I would only buy a Gladiator. If you are going to play in mud or offroad when weight can be a problem the PW is not the best pick. My JKU was close to 5,000 pounds and my taco is about 4,700 pounds, but thats because I have a cage and 3 winches etc.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I'm trying to like the Gladiator but I'm failing - I know it's just a personal taste but I find it ugly. Maybe I'll wait for 2023 Ranger Raptor or whatever new Taco comes up with more power. I reached out to a RAM dealer recommended on this forum and they advised it would be a 6-8 month wait to get a PW anyway.

Have you seen the Gladiator in Gobi? I think the right color is really needed on the Gladiator.

I want a midsize because the trails around here are just too tight otherwise. I am really interested in the Ranger Raptor, but I'm afraid it'll be a 2-3 year wait if you aren't lucky like the Bronco is.

OP
OP
G

Gxgn

Reaction score
thank you for sharing your thoughts guys. I tested yesterday a 2021 PW and here are my initial thoughts based on this quick test:

pros:
- super comfortable interior, on par or better with my Land Cruiser
- ton of space
- seams better built than I expected

cons:
- I was surprised with the weight, I expected the 400hp will move the body more agile. It felt a tad heavy. My LC with bumpers, sliders and all the addons was also close to 7000 lbs and the engine was less than 400 hp and still felt a bit more lively
- size is massive, the width is bare;y larger than the LC but because of the height of the hood and the overall length it felt humongous. Height and width wise would fit in my garage but the length is an issue/ I can fit it but not be able to open the tailgate
- it was more bouncy than I expected for such a heavy rig. It probably didn’t help that tires were at 70psi perhaps from the sun
- avg mpg displayed was 10.1 but I know some of you get better even with 35s

Just out of curiosity I tested a Gladiator after. Here are my thoughts on this quick ride:

pros
- it felt more nimble than I expected. The drivetrain felt quite good
- very small size, could fit anywhere

cons:
- horrible interior (I know it’s subjective and plenty of guys love them)
- it felt like I’m touching the windshield with my head
- the left leg was touching some strap that holds the door, it felt more cramped than a Corolla
- the truck wandered on the highway when a gust of wind hit us
i know plenty of people love them, I appreciate what that truck can probably do offroad but considering I would have to drive 1000 miles to get to the trail it’s a hard no for me.

So no decision yet. I’ll probably test one more and think about it. Probably the future Ranger Raptor would be the right truck for me but it’s so far away from being available.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
"very small size, could fit anywhere".

My bet is that it can't easily fit between 2 six feet wide spaced posts as our vintage 1/2 ton Chevrolet LUV (Light Utility Vehicle) does daily. That's what we use for our ranch work truck hauling everything about our acreage due to it's tiny size.

20210911_152137(2).jpg

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Just out of curiosity I tested a Gladiator after. Here are my thoughts on this quick ride:

pros
- it felt more nimble than I expected. The drivetrain felt quite good
- very small size, could fit anywhere

cons:
- horrible interior (I know it’s subjective and plenty of guys love them)
- it felt like I’m touching the windshield with my head
- the left leg was touching some strap that holds the door, it felt more cramped than a Corolla
- the truck wandered on the highway when a gust of wind hit us
i know plenty of people love them, I appreciate what that truck can probably do offroad but considering I would have to drive 1000 miles to get to the trail it’s a hard no for me.

So no decision yet. I’ll probably test one more and think about it. Probably the future Ranger Raptor would be the right truck for me but it’s so far away from being available.

The strap is stiff on some of them but loosens over time, I noticed the same thing you did but it's not present in others. I don't know how fast you drive, but it also seems like it's really out of breath at 80mph+, so not the truck I'd want for longer drives through much of Texas. The moving in the wind and the general feel of it made me think it'd be fatiguing to drive long distances. It's also pretty loud on the inside, more so depending on trim, and is pretty expensive for what you get.

Like you, I'm hanging my hopes on the Ranger Raptor for something that's not fatiguing to drive 10-16 hours to get to where I want to use it offroad. If it sucks, I'll just stick with a full size 1/2 ton and avoid certain trails, I guess, or rent a Jeep when possible.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I like full size 8' box 2500 crew cabs to tow a camper and an off road machine to the trails. Using any full size pickup, let alone a 2500 for off-roading just isn't what they are built for. Guys do it, but it beats the heck out of the paint work and the rest of the truck. Get a 2 or 4 up SXS and go places no 4x4, including a Jeep, let alone a PW, ever thought about.