Is the battery covered under Rams 3/36 basic warranty.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aramos3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2014 R/T with 31,000 miles and my battery just took a dump this week it won't hold a charge for a very long time I've had to jump start it twice this week and it's been cranking over very slow. Is this considered a star and tear item or is it covered by the factory warranty.

OP
OP
aramos3

aramos3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I kind of had that's impression as well, it just sucks that the battery world go out in less than 2 years.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I was also going to ask this question. If I leave my truck more than 2 days without use it has a hard time starting. Came back from the hunt camp a couple weeks ago and it was completely dead. Really pissed me off, when you pay 50K+ for a vehicle they shouldn't be providing you with a cheap **** battery.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think so, but if you take it to a dealer that you like and trust, it doesn't hurt to ask. I would just get it serviced, play dumb a little and tell them that you are having issues starting in the morning, and go from there.

2012 Ram 1500 quadcab
**Sent from the *********

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think it is covered. But you could have other problems. If you are under 3/36, just take it in so they can check for a draw and test the battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I was also going to ask this question. If I leave my truck more than 2 days without use it has a hard time starting. Came back from the hunt camp a couple weeks ago and it was completely dead. Really pissed me off, when you pay 50K+ for a vehicle they shouldn't be providing you with a cheap **** battery.

If you have a truck that's draining a battery to the point of hard starting in 2 days then that's not that battery's fault, that the owner's fault for not realizing that there's an off-key draw from something whether it's something faulting in the truck itself or leaving something plugged in/turned on. Now, if you keep drawing a standard battery down repeatedly then you will kill the battery, which again is not the battery's fault, it's the owner's. Find what is pulling the excess off-key draw or take it to the dealership to do it if you still have a warranty.

There was an issue on some trucks with the radio fan or seat motor not turning off which would kill the battery, so there's always the chance it's something in the truck's massive electrical system that's pulling just that extra 150mA that will kill the battery if left for long enough; but it's not the battery's fault no more than it's the lakes in California's fault for not having enough water for the farms to keep irrigating in the middle of a drought.

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
*drops mic*

But yeah, same thing happened with the last battery I had. Turned out there was a setting on the Trinity which was keeping it awake and killing the battery if left long enough.

The factory battery did freeze and swell up after 3 years though, lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
aramos3

aramos3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After jump starting the truck yesterday and driving it for an hour I got home and disconnected the battery. I took a multi meter and did a battery load test it read 12.38v which wold indicate a good charge. I left the battery disconnected overnight to try and rule out an off key draw, the battery tested 10.60v which would indicate a bad battery correct?

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After jump starting the truck yesterday and driving it for an hour I got home and disconnected the battery. I took a multi meter and did a battery load test it read 12.38v which wold indicate a good charge. I left the battery disconnected overnight to try and rule out an off key draw, the battery tested 10.60v which would indicate a bad battery correct?

I would say it's probably shot. Once the voltage is allowed to get so low there really isn't much you can do with it. When you say load tested it, do you mean you just measured with your meter? Because if you have access to an actual load tester it'll tell you right away.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7

weird, mine has been solid so far. do you do a lot of short trips or something?

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
weird, mine has been solid so far. do you do a lot of short trips or something?
Yeah, everyday to work unfortunately. It kills my mileage too, wish I was further away! Well I will be in the spring, we're moving our office lol.
If you have a truck that's draining a battery to the point of hard starting in 2 days then that's not that battery's fault, that the owner's fault for not realizing that there's an off-key draw from something whether it's something faulting in the truck itself or leaving something plugged in/turned on. Now, if you keep drawing a standard battery down repeatedly then you will kill the battery, which again is not the battery's fault, it's the owner's. Find what is pulling the excess off-key draw or take it to the dealership to do it if you still have a warranty.

There was an issue on some trucks with the radio fan or seat motor not turning off which would kill the battery, so there's always the chance it's something in the truck's massive electrical system that's pulling just that extra 150mA that will kill the battery if left for long enough; but it's not the battery's fault no more than it's the lakes in California's fault for not having enough water for the farms to keep irrigating in the middle of a drought.
My air compressor used to be an off key draw. Last winter I had a switch put in because when it gets cold enough the compressor would just run until the battery died. It died maybe 5 times from this.

The battery has been fine until now though. The only other thing tied directly to my battery is the lights in the bed, which also have a switch.

I'm wondering if it could be the tuner? I'll probably end up just replacing the battery here soon.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I now unplug my Trinity when I go to work for 2 weeks because even with 2 batteries I would kill them while I was gone that long. I've done everything that DS says to solve the issue but it's still doing it, but if it's disconnected then I have zero problems firing it up after sitting for 2 weeks at a time.

OP
OP
aramos3

aramos3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks like I will have to bite the bullet I just called the dealer and they confirmed that the battery is not cover under the 3/36 warranty.

Last edited:

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I now unplug my Trinity when I go to work for 2 weeks because even with 2 batteries I would kill them while I was gone that long. I've done everything that DS says to solve the issue but it's still doing it, but if it's disconnected then I have zero problems firing it up after sitting for 2 weeks at a time.

I'll try that this weekend. Going away for a week again. We'll see what happens!

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, everyday to work unfortunately. It kills my mileage too, wish I was further away! Well I will be in the spring, we're moving our office lol.

yeah that'll be why. if you're not driving long enough to charge the battery it'll die fast. best thing you can do is charge it every month(more in winter) to try and keep it topped it. if you use it too much while low it'll just destroy the battery. or you could just go for a nice long ride every week or so, it's a good excuse to go have some fun and enjoy your truck

motogripper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Diesel
I have a 2014 Dodge RAM 2500 Diesel. I have 56K miles on it. Took it to the Dodge dealer today and I was told I have to purchase 2 new batteries.

I said this truck is 2 years old. I was told the battery has 3 years / 36,000 mile warranty. Who warranties a battery for 36,000 miles???? DODGE!

And to make it even worse; they wanted to sell me 2 new batteries that have 2 years / 24,000 mile warranty.

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!! This is my second Dodge RAM truck. It's been in the shop for 7 recalls; 3 engine lights on, etc.