Is this a good choice? Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

amm24dmb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2020 Laramie. 18 inch wheels. Is this a good choice tire? I want to keep the nice, smooth ride, low tire noise, same mpg, but living up in New England I need a good tire in crappy weather conditions. Snow, ice, rain, etc. I found these, but I know nothing about tires and ply ratings, etc. The weight says 45 per tire. No clue what all those numbers and letters are after the 18....Thanks!!

Toyo AT3’s - 275 /65 R18 116T SL BSW

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
As the for the numbers after the 18
116T is the load index and speed rating(116 = 2756 lbs, T = 118 mph), SL is standard load and BSW is Black Side Wall

Those have a three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) rating which should handle the crappy weather for you, a dedicated winter tire would be better.

OP
OP
A

amm24dmb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As the for the numbers after the 18
116T is the load index and speed rating(116 = 2756 lbs, T = 118 mph), SL is standard load and BSW is Black Side Wall

Those have a three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) rating which should handle the crappy weather for you, a dedicated winter tire would be better.

Thanks crash!

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
2020 Laramie. 18 inch wheels. Is this a good choice tire? I want to keep the nice, smooth ride, low tire noise, same mpg, but living up in New England I need a good tire in crappy weather conditions. Snow, ice, rain, etc. I found these, but I know nothing about tires and ply ratings, etc. The weight says 45 per tire. No clue what all those numbers and letters are after the 18....Thanks!!

Toyo AT3’s - 275 /65 R18 116T SL BSW
I can tell you that I've really liked my AT2's, and if I still have this truck when they go I'll be getting the AT3's. They're a newer tire design for Toyo but they're getting great reviews.

OP
OP
A

amm24dmb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can tell you that I've really liked my AT2's, and if I still have this truck when they go I'll be getting the AT3's. They're a newer tire design for Toyo but they're getting great reviews.

Thanks Rule! Were the AT2’s loud at all? The guy at my tire shop was trying to convince me to NOT get an all-terrain tire and then he listed all the reasons he hated them. lol. I think they look mean and I want to be safe in the winter.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
First off, see what your current tires will do in your climate. If you are not happy with them go to a website like Tire Rack, Discount tire or the like and look at the tire ratings in your area. Don't look at the overall ratings, just local and compare them to what you have. That's how I found the Michelin tires I have used on several cars in my area of Michigan.

The Alenza Duelers on my 19 Laramie work pretty well here.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Thanks Rule! Were the AT2’s loud at all? The guy at my tire shop was trying to convince me to NOT get an all-terrain tire and then he listed all the reasons he hated them. lol. I think they look mean and I want to be safe in the winter.
My AT2s are half at half tread life, and are not loud at all. I'm actually quite impressed by them all around.