Is this the transfer case type that you don't want?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Saw a thread a while back, and cannot find it now on the transfer cases that had a crappy 4wd feature.

I believe if it has a 4WD Auto button, then you know it's the crappier transfer case. Is this the button they're talking about? And if it is, would this at least be an ok 4wd for the wisconsin snow? It's the only time I really use 4WD anyway, is for snowy days.

https://img2.carmax.com/img/vehicles/18253343/18.jpg?width=2398&ratio=source

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Hey haas. The transfercase it's self is just as solid as the other one. Just has different features. If it has the auto button it's the Borg warner 44-44 if it doesn't its likely the Borg warner 44-45. The 44-44 has clutches in it that allow the auto the engage and disengage, this t case is found in almost all of the higher end dodges. The 44-45 t case is a direct drive with no clutches once its meshed its locked.

The problem many of us hate with the 44-44 t case is that it says 4 Lock but it's actually not locked until your rear tires start to spin. This is a pain for those of us who use our trucks as trucks. For the average driver this goes unnoticed. The nice thing is you can drove this in 4x4 all day and it won't hurt anything vs the 44-45 where you'd start making components hit and wear things out faster, not to mention Cv axle pull in hard corners and wearing more items. It all comes to what your doing and if you are willing to settle for a truck with less options for the 44-45 or get the higher end with the 44-44.

Personally I've had experiences with both and I don't see any one more or less stronger than the other they're both purpose built just chrysler boffed the programming for the locking.

All this said if you end up with the auto t case and are not happy with it, I designed and built a lock switch that locks ur clutches and makes it act like the 44-45 but still keeps factory auto options, it is plug and play and can be installed and removed easily to keep warranty.

Just figured id let you know there are options out there.
Happy shopping and feel free to ask any questions.

OP
OP
H

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for that Brandon. It wasn't reliability that I was concerned with, it was more just on how it acted, and worried about the 4WD not being as effective. But my only 4WD needs will be in snow, so it sounds like this 4WD system should work out just fine for me.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
No problem. Oh yeah it'll be fine for snow. If Ur not towing anything or off-roading you'll likely never feel the effects of what I'm taking about. Happy shopping man. [emoji106]

OP
OP
H

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, there's really no difference between 4WD Lock, and 4WD Auto?

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
4 auto and 4 Lock are just programming. 4 auto activates when say for example the rear tire spins 6 revolutions the computer says oh ok were spinning and activates 4x vs 4lock when the rear tires spin say 1-2 revolutions it locks it up much faster but still not as effective as a full lock with my switch or like the 44-45 case. The bw 44-44 is listed as an all wheel drive transfercase.

OP
OP
H

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4 auto and 4 Lock are just programming. 4 auto activates when say for example the rear tire spins 6 revolutions the computer says oh ok were spinning and activates 4x vs 4lock when the rear tires spin say 1-2 revolutions it locks it up much faster but still not as effective as a full lock with my switch or like the 44-45 case. The bw 44-44 is listed as an all wheel drive transfercase.

Got it. And if I plug and play your device, does 4 wheel lock actually lock when the 4WD lock is deployed, but not when 4WD auto is deployed? Or does your device have it locked no matter which button is pressed?

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
My switch will lock it up in 4 auto or lock making it a true 4 Lock no matter what is chosen (unless in 2wd) it will lock and not unlock in any selection until the switch is turned off. This does not work in 2 wheel drive as there is a physical gear mesh/ummesh that occurs when selecting 2 wheel.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No problem. Oh yeah it'll be fine for snow. If Ur not towing anything or off-roading you'll likely never feel the effects of what I'm taking about. Happy shopping man. [emoji106]

Were U ever gonna do the switch for the 48-11's put in the 2019's (full auto), or do U think the improvements FCA made to the program help?

FYI, have had no issues with the trans, it's the lousy tires that I do not have the $$$$ to replace, LMAO.......I have the 48-11 (Full Auto)

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Were U ever gonna do the switch for the 48-11's put in the 2019's (full auto), or do U think the improvements FCA made to the program help?

FYI, have had no issues with the trans, it's the lousy tires that I do not have the $$$$ to replace, LMAO.......I have the 48-11 (Full Auto)
I Havnt had a chance to do some Digging on them. I can't even build any harnesses yet because I'm not done moving [emoji849] is there a lag when you are in auto? Im definately wondering if my switch would be applicable to the new t cases that's for sure.

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 K&N Cold Air Intake.
Got it. And if I plug and play your device, does 4 wheel lock actually lock when the 4WD lock is deployed, but not when 4WD auto is deployed? Or does your device have it locked no matter which button is pressed?

So I had the same million questions to Brandon. I just got the device myself like 2 weeks ago. My advice is if you want true 4 wheels moving when you hit the gas then get it and don’t think twice. 1. Yes it sucks they tricked us by using the term 4 wheel lock. It’s a glorified 4auto. I was a worry wart about install. Installed the whole unit in about 10 minutes. I put switch in same spot as Brandon. Perfect spot and it did take time to fish a wire to be able to pull switch thru. I would say that took me about 30 min and a lot of cursing. 2. The thing works like a charm. It does exactly what we expected to have when we got the truck. 3. You don’t use when it 4 auto and you use it in 4 lock if you think you want it to perform that way. 4. Turn off traction crap if you’re going to be under 40mph. 5. Get it.

Mossybloak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Outdoorsman
It all comes to what your doing and if you are willing to settle for a truck with less options for the 44-45 or get the higher end with the 44-44.

My truck takes offense to this! She's got every option except leather....even has a factory light under the hood unlike them fancy trucks :p

But seriously, my point being you can get a nice truck with either transfer case.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
My truck takes offense to this! She's got every option except leather....even has a factory light under the hood unlike them fancy trucks [emoji14]

But seriously, my point being you can get a nice truck with either transfer case.
Haha don't get me wrong on that I'm sure as soon as you add Leather you get that t case.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I Havnt had a chance to do some Digging on them. I can't even build any harnesses yet because I'm not done moving [emoji849] is there a lag when you are in auto? Im definately wondering if my switch would be applicable to the new t cases that's for sure.

No discernible lag except of course throttle response. Since I do not have a "Pedal Commander" or a tune, I just live with it.

BUT then this is TX and I do not have the weather and issues U have. Annual snow fall is 1-3", that be all. The big problem here is Rain/flooded roads, and the occasional Tornado likes to run around. But alas, this is the Middle of TX, LOL.

Mossybloak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Outdoorsman
Haha...they'd have to pry my 44-45 t-case from my cold dead hands first! Work is a bit slow so I'm just looking to interact with other humans.... I'll move along now.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Haha...they'd have to pry my 44-45 t-case from my cold dead hands first! Work is a bit slow so I'm just looking to interact with other humans.... I'll move along now.
Haha they all have their place. [emoji1787] I dono if you want interaction from people like me. Too much crazy truck mod crap runnin through my noodle at all times.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd also recommend getting Brandons switch. I don't even use 4wd much in the snow, until I need to. Even so, I got along fine with the stock setup but I always really did hate the way the "4wd" worked, and it got me thinking about what would happen should I actually need 4wd. I've only tested the switch out a few times so far, but it's an enormous difference and even in my limited testing, I'm confident the old setup wouldn't have gotten me out. It makes the truck perform the way it should have from the factory.

Thanks again Brandon!

Last edited:

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I'd also recommend getting Brandons switch. I don't even use 4wd much in the snow, until I need to. Even so, I got along fine with the stock setup but I always really did hate the way the "4wd" worked, and it got thinking about what would happen should I actually need 4wd. I've only tested the switch out a few times so far, but it's an enormous difference and even if my limited testing, I'm confident the old setup wouldn't have gotten me out. It makes the truck perform the way it should have from the factory.

Thanks again Brandon!
Thank you. [emoji846]