Issue with warranty repairs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Update to my current situation... My truck has now been at the dealership for 71 days in an attempt to correct the above listed issues. A 3rd party body shop has attempted to blend the clearcoat which failed and attempted 2 times to paint all 4 doors. All the attempts have resulted in debris in the paint or flaws that are not acceptable in fact there are now more issues with the truck than what was originally there. I was called today buy the dealership saying that the body shop who has produced a terrible final product on 3 attempts is refusing to touch my truck again and that I now have to come take custody of my still flawed vehicle. My question is does this situation constitue a dealership buy back? Or a truck replacement? I am not willing to accept this truck back with more flaws than what it had when I turned it into the dealership but that seems to be the route that the dealership is wanting me to take. Any advice from people have gone through a vehicle buy back or lemon law issues would be more than appreciated. I plan on talking with the service manager and possibly the dealership manager if availabole tomorrow about this whole ordeal and I would like some outsider input/ knowledge before than if possible.
Update to my current situation... My truck has now been at the dealership for 71 days in an attempt to correct the above listed issues. A 3rd party body shop has attempted to blend the clearcoat which failed and attempted 2 times to paint all 4 doors. All the attempts have resulted in debris in the paint or flaws that are not acceptable in fact there are now more issues with the truck than what was originally there. I was called today buy the dealership saying that the body shop who has produced a terrible final product on 3 attempts is refusing to touch my truck again and that I now have to come take custody of my still flawed vehicle. My question is does this situation constitue a dealership buy back? Or a truck replacement? I am not willing to accept this truck back with more flaws than what it had when I turned it into the dealership but that seems to be the route that the dealership is wanting me to take. Any advice from people have gone through a vehicle buy back or lemon law issues would be more than appreciated. I plan on talking with the service manager and possibly the dealership manager if availabole tomorrow about this whole ordeal and I would like some outsider input/ knowledge before than if possible.

Don't pick it up, ask the dealership what else they can do to correct the situation.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
^^^^^That is the key. If you can do it. Your leverage is as Hunter stated. Never accept the vehicle back unless all the repairs were done properly. Dealer and manufacture get very serious and focused (regardless of lemon law) when a customer refuses to accept unresolved repairs. That tactic works even if you are in a weak lemon law State.

OP
OP
rojo_143

rojo_143

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The lemon law here in Virginia is in my favor because the dealership has had my truck for more than 30 days but when I lose people is when I tell them that it is due to a paint issue from factory defects. Lawyers here are more concerned about mechanical and safety issues. I could make a case if I needed to but I would need the dealership paperwork showing what was done first. FCA's regional manager for my area is involved at this point and I am being told by the dealership that I have to accept the vehicle from the dealership in order to deal with him. I told the dealership today that is fine, but I want it stated in the work order that I am not satisfied with the quality of the repair work before I will take the truck anywhere. We will see where this goes at this point it seems that I am just being pushed on to the next person to deal with my issues because the dealership is tired of dealing with it.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
The lemon law here in Virginia is in my favor because the dealership has had my truck for more than 30 days but when I lose people is when I tell them that it is due to a paint issue from factory defects. Lawyers here are more concerned about mechanical and safety issues. I could make a case if I needed to but I would need the dealership paperwork showing what was done first. FCA's regional manager for my area is involved at this point and I am being told by the dealership that I have to accept the vehicle from the dealership in order to deal with him. I told the dealership today that is fine, but I want it stated in the work order that I am not satisfied with the quality of the repair work before I will take the truck anywhere. We will see where this goes at this point it seems that I am just being pushed on to the next person to deal with my issues because the dealership is tired of dealing with it.

That’s what it sounds like.
Maybe @ramcares here on the forum will chime in with some help for you. They get things done that the dealerships won’t help with.
When @ramxares get in the dealers ass they tend to sit up straight and get the customer taken care of. Dealerships get ratings from fca and that can affect how they rank and the between them and fca satisfaction.
Contact @ramcares and open a case with them.

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
^^^Fully agree. They are effective. Sounds like you are standing tough, but reasonable. Hope that the RM has a open mind and willing to help you.

OP
OP
rojo_143

rojo_143

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
That’s what it sounds like.
Maybe @ramcares here on the forum will chime in with some help for you. They get things done that the dealerships won’t help with.
When @ramxares get in the dealers ass they tend to sit up straight and get the customer taken care of. Dealerships get ratings from fca and that can affect how they rank and the between them and fca satisfaction.
Contact @ramcares and open a case with them.

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road

I already have a case number with ram cares hence why the regional manager has been involved. It just seems strange to me that the dealership is willing to give the truck back to me knowing it is not right and that I am dissatisfied with it. It almost as if they are rolling over and admitting defeat. I also have not been able to talk to the dealer manager or the owner only the service rep and the service manager. They have been nothing but helpful and understand my frustrations with this whole scenario and since the dealership does not have their own collision shop (apparently that is common here in the Hampton roads area) they are not able to correct the issues themselves they have to rely upon a 3rd party body shop.

armallard

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT CC 4X4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I hope you get it all sorted out you are a very patient guy. And Thank you for your service.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Sounds like a line of B's, that you have to accept the vehicle to meet with the regional manager. Talk with the body shop and see what the issue is. I would stand firm and not accept the vehicle.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah it almost sounds like they want you to accept the truck so later on they can say you accepted it which showed you were happy with the results.

I'd leave it there as long as possible and tell them there is no reason the regional rep can't meet you at the dealer to look at it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
rojo_143

rojo_143

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I hope you get it all sorted out you are a very patient guy. And Thank you for your service.

First off thank you I am proud to do it. Secondly, Yes I have been very patient over this but I am quickly running out of them. As of today I have owned the truck for 208 days, the dealership has had it for 73 of those days.

Yeah it almost sounds like they want you to accept the truck so later on they can say you accepted it which showed you were happy with the results.

I'd leave it there as long as possible and tell them there is no reason the regional rep can't meet you at the dealer to look at it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Exactly, to cover my ass I am have already expressed to the service manager that I want the dealership to put on the work order that I am not satisfied with the work that was completed. Just incase they decide not to do that I will hand write it on there and not sign it.

wallacemf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 4x4 Hemi 6.4
For what it’s worth, when I bought my 2018 2500, the fender flares were detaching. I took it in to a dealer in VA that has a body shop, FCA shipped them a new set of flares for warranty replacement- unpainted, the dealer had to paint them. I had a case open with FCA.

They botched the paint and put them on anyway. When I came to pick it up, they were detaching again, plus the paint on them had runs and bubbles, worse than when I started.

When I complained to the case manager, he suggested that I can take it to a body shop of my choice, send them the bill and they’d reimburse me. Maybe this is an option for you- it sounds like your whole truck needs to be repainted correctly at this point?

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I had similar issues with my truck and paint scratches all over it on delivery. They had my truck for about 3 weeks in total and for the most part they fixed it. Minus the clear overspray everywhere. Which they fixed for the most part. I just learned my lesson and stopped going to that dealer. And I’ll also never get service done there either. They keep calling my phone wondering why I haven’t had an oil change LOL. Also, I hate when they call and say they want my truck and get me into a new one. They fail to mention that I’ll be out $15,000 on trade In. They must think I’m soft in the head.

Anyways, my way of dealing with ****** dealers is I’ll never return there. And when people ask about where to buy a vehicle I suggest they don’t go there. I am not going to make a big deal of things with the dealer itself but will hurt there profits and reputation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17Veteran76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had some issues with my truck. I played the game and took it to the dealer giving them 3 attempts to fix it - including two different dealers over 5 months.

Right now document the issues and the attempts any authorized FCA dealer/repairer has done to fix them, and the reasons why they havent.

After their failure, I then contacted my state consumer protection agency under the lemon law, as well as sent FCA, US, LLC a certified letter as required by the lemon law demanding correction under my states law giving them 30 days to fix the issues. I got TWO certified letters from FCA in Florida with dealer appointments. I went, immediately fixed. I went from chump to "Hello Mr. Smith! Right this way!" With a bad ass loaner loaded, sunroof, etc.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had some issues with my truck. I played the game and took it to the dealer giving them 3 attempts to fix it - including two different dealers over 5 months.

Right now document the issues and the attempts any authorized FCA dealer/repairer has done to fix them, and the reasons why they havent.

After their failure, I then contacted my state consumer protection agency under the lemon law, as well as sent FCA, US, LLC a certified letter as required by the lemon law demanding correction under my states law giving them 30 days to fix the issues. I got TWO certified letters from FCA in Florida with dealer appointments. I went, immediately fixed. I went from chump to "Hello Mr. Smith! Right this way!" With a bad ass loaner loaded, sunroof, etc.

What were the issues?

A lot of people seem to think we'll only get that kind of response in regards to safety issues, not "small" things like paint, etc.

17Veteran76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What were the issues?

A lot of people seem to think we'll only get that kind of response in regards to safety issues, not "small" things like paint, etc.

Off the top of my head..

1. The assist button would not function because it was connected to UConnect and it had the wrong firmware.
2. UConnect incorrect firmware so I couldn't use the remote functions
3. Incorrect mirror code programed, which threw a fault, which kept resetting the UConnect crap.
4. When the mirror threw code, my mirror dimmer no longer worked.

My state, Georgia, stipulates that a lemon can apply to anything that can harm or hurt the original intended function or resale value of the vehicle as well as safety. They use the term, "NONCOMFORMITY" for the legal base.

http://www.consumer.ga.gov/about-us/statutes-we-enforce/ga-lemon-law

"(17) "Nonconformity" means a defect, a serious safety defect, or a condition, any of which substantially impairs the use, value, or safety of a new motor vehicle to the consumer or renders the new motor vehicle nonconforming to a warranty. A nonconformity does not include a defect, a serious safety defect, or a condition that is the result of abuse, neglect, or unauthorized modification or alteration of the new motor vehicle."

It was such easy things to fix. I was flabbergasted. Totally frustrated. And eventually angry.

OP
OP
rojo_143

rojo_143

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Well after 78 days at the dealership, I finally got my truck back today in a less than ideal condition. I have somethings that the dealership/area manger will be made aware of and we will see where that gets me. There will be more to follow in the coming days now that the truck is back in my possesion or so I am being told.