Just installed PowerStop Z36...brakes...are noisy.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Repost Police

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So... I've never ran a set of "performance" brakes on any of my cars, so these carbon ceramic pads and drilled/slotted rotors are a new thing for me. Followed the bedding instructions to a T, they grab like a **** that's for sure. What concerning me is I get this "CH CH CH CH" scraping/rubbing sound from the pads that speeds up and slows down with speed. I'm assuming this is just maybe some high spots or something that will quiet down? Can't say I've ever had new brakes make this noise before, only old, worn out brakes. Sometimes they're quiet, then I'll turn or change speed and it will pick back up, almost like the pads are kind of moving around? I dunno, it's got me stumped. I rechecked everything just to make sure I didn't miss tightening something and that isn't the case (it's 4 bolts there's not much to miss haha).

Any ideas or experiences like this with these?

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I use Power Stop brakes all the time. Some of it is normal. Did you lube up the metal clips that the pads ride on as well as the sliding pins? If not, take it apart and do that. The other thing could be that your calipers are old and just not releasing like they should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Repost Police

Repost Police

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I use Power Stop brakes all the time. Some of it is normal. Did you lube up the metal clips that the pads ride on as well as the sliding pins? If not, take it apart and do that. The other thing could be that your calipers are old and just not releasing like they should.

Yep, sure did... Calipers have about 60k on them so I hope they aren't bad yet...

Also it's at least 3 of the wheels I can hear it from. Hard to hear back right but I'm sure that one is noisy too.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Mine just turned 80k but my brakes only have maybe 10k on z36 brakes. I hear it a little bit first thing in the morning or after work or after the truck sits. I’m trying to figure out the best way to replace my brake hoses and calipers all at once and get the brake fluid flushed as well. Can you have someone press the brake pedal while you watch the caliper squeeze and release to see how well they’re doing that?? Depending on where you live and the kind of conditions you drive in (city vs farmland vs highway) does play a part in how long your brake parts will last.

OP
OP
Repost Police

Repost Police

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Mine just turned 80k but my brakes only have maybe 10k on z36 brakes. I hear it a little bit first thing in the morning or after work or after the truck sits. I’m trying to figure out the best way to replace my brake hoses and calipers all at once and get the brake fluid flushed as well. Can you have someone press the brake pedal while you watch the caliper squeeze and release to see how well they’re doing that?? Depending on where you live and the kind of conditions you drive in (city vs farmland vs highway) does play a part in how long your brake parts will last.

Yeah I can. I've only driven maybe 10-15 miles total so they're practically still unused, just alarmed me a bit at the noise. I'll go over them again tomorrow and maybe see if there's some areas that need lubed better but I've done a TON of brake jobs over the years and can't say I've ever had this level of noise from brand new brakes.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I’ve never used metallic on drilled and slotted rotors. I’ve got ceramic and mine have been quiet 99.98% of the time. Good luck!

OP
OP
Repost Police

Repost Police

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I’ve never used metallic on drilled and slotted rotors. I’ve got ceramic and mine have been quiet 99.98% of the time. Good luck!

I'm not using metallic...the Z36 pads are carbon ceramic.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Sorry. I read that too fast then. My bad!

Firetruck41

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Mega Cab Hemi 5.7
All brake pads will rub against the rotor, the pads don't retract, the pressure just releases... so there will be some noise. Hard to tell through the internet if yours is better or worse than others... Other wise make sure everything was lubed, the sliding pins aren't binding and the caliper pistons aren't sticking.

OP
OP
Repost Police

Repost Police

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
All brake pads will rub against the rotor, the pads don't retract, the pressure just releases... so there will be some noise. Hard to tell through the internet if yours is better or worse than others... Other wise make sure everything was lubed, the sliding pins aren't binding and the caliper pistons aren't sticking.

Yeah, I know. Kind of a **** thing to diagnose via the web. It's definitely more than some noise though... Slide pins were all lubed liberally and free when I assembled, I always test that stuff out while I'm assembling. The only thing I can think of is maybe where the caliper meets the backplate or the caliper itself is bad, but I can't believe all 3 are bad when I had no issues with the brakes I took off. They were just old but all worn evenly.

I'll see if I can get a video tomorrow if they're still making noise after I pop the wheels back off.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have not had any good experience with any brake pad & rotor change out when the rotors weren't seasoned or the pads bedded.

Salty Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If seasoned means "break-in" then I absolutely recommend that. I actually did that procedure twice. I have the Z36 and cross-drilled and slotted and initially they made a little noise, but that went away after the 2nd day. It was never "annoying" though, or not enough to cause alarm.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Recently did my brakes with Callahan d/s rotors & ceramic pads and had that high-pitched squeak at slow stops. (parts shipped from Powerstop!)
I replaced all 4 corners with Wagner OEX pads and squeak disappeared (and they grab better)
The Callahan pads had one center dust groove, the OEX have multiple grooves.

Firetruck41

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Mega Cab Hemi 5.7
I did have a bent backing plate before, that rubbed on the rotor, that could certainly be the case.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've run powerstops on 5 vehicles so far, not yet on the Ram - never had any noise. Sorry that doesn't help much.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put Z36 pads with the matching rotors in the the wifes 14 Durango. No noise but they throw dust like mofos. In contrast I went with Wagners semi metallic severe duty pads in the RAM and they have been the best pads I've had to date. Great breaking power even with 37's, zero noise and my wheels stay clean with them.