Just noticed the 2018 Sport has a dial shifter...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Craw

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Whats the last year for the floor shifter? I have 2013 sport with it and really dont want to ever go the dial route. Hoping in the next 5 years they bring it back.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Whats the last year for the floor shifter? I have 2013 sport with it and really dont want to ever go the dial route. Hoping in the next 5 years they bring it back.
Dial Shifter...Those Bastages....

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IIRC, you get the floor shifter in 2013's with the older 6spd trans. The 8spd gets the dial shifter.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Lol. Agreed. I had a loaner 2018 v6 with the dial and the 8 speed and was no fan of it at all. I missed the column shifter on my 2500. That's where it's supposed to be on a truck. I hope they don't go the dial route on the next gen HDs . Just my .02.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
New HD's will retain the column shifter but not the 1500's

Last edited:

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Nowadays, even if they offered it, it would be 100% electronic....you could always grab a shifter out of the junkyard and mount it in a cupholder for nostalgia....

At least then I’d have a place to rest my hand ... I’ll be lost down the road when it’s time to replace my 12 ... Can’t get the cool hood any more either ... Honestly, I do manual shift a lot when runnin around town to avoid the MDS drone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
At least then I’d have a place to rest my hand ... I’ll be lost down the road when it’s time to replace my 12 ... Can’t get the cool hood any more either ... Honestly, I do manual shift a lot when runnin around town to avoid the MDS drone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can manually shift the 8spd all day long too, but it's a matter of pressing + and - buttons with your left thumb as opposed to clicking a shifter. Not the same I hear you, but I think a cable shift is dying a quick death these days.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
It's kind of a **** off though,the A8 cars like the challenger have a console shifter.My wifes 2016 Challenger has a console shifter and I prefer it over the dial shifter in my truck.You can add paddle shifters to the 8 speed trucks if you are so inclined.It's not cheap,but a young guy in Edmonton Alberta makes a plug-n-play kit to add the Mercededs AMG aluminium paddle shifters to the trucks.Got them in my truck and love them,they're far better then the buttons on the wheel,which at times under full throttle will need a couple stabs to make the tranny shift.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/srt-steering-wheel-swap.83820/page-2

LoneStarSilver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unfortunately most stock automatic transmissions shift too early thereby not utilizing the top end power of the engine. Manually shifting the automatic, if you are racing or even pulling a load allows the full range of each gear to be utilized. This is beneficial in so many ways. Automatic transmissions can be set up to have shift points different than what came from the factory, and it is very easy to do so with todays electronic transmissions and the right equipment.