Just picked up a 2014 2500 whining noise already....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
johnny_wilson

johnny_wilson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4LHemi
Good News and bad news....The dealer says the noise is 99 percent gone. The bad new is they said there is a 200a fuse on my battery terminal that is blown (don't know why) and the windshield wipers dont work. They say it is some kind of aftermarket fuse? They are trying to figure it out now. I can't make this stuff up...

OP
OP
johnny_wilson

johnny_wilson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4LHemi
Another update. The service manager said they had to jumpstart the truck. I’m hoping they didn’t hook The cable up backwards. Otherwise I could be looking at a lot more damage. The fuse turns out to be a factory fuse on the battery terminal. I was told it was jumpstarted and during the test drive, they noticed the windshield wipers didn't work. They traced it to the 200a blown fuse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good Grief.. Have YOU ever had to jumpstart the truck? I mean its only been sitting for what a week or so hasn't it?
Seems strange.

OP
OP
johnny_wilson

johnny_wilson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4LHemi
I've only had it a month. Don't know why it was dead and don't know how they blew a fuse. It's pretty tough to blow a fuse that size unless something went really wrong (like hooking up the jumper wires backwards) This is killing me. I need to break these gears in before I tow next weekend.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
This dealer is amazing. Aftermarket fuse :mfr_omg:

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You need to go have a face to face with the service manager, not rude mind you, but face to face and find out what is going on, tell him you NEED to have the truck back NOW. I'm with you, seems Possible anyway they hooked something up wrong.. Which REALLY brings into question the quality of work if so.
I had the service manager trying to tell me the reason mine was making noise was because a TSB was out on the Limited slip differential and something with the clutches, I informed him that the HD trucks have a worm gear type limited slip and no clutches, that really gave me a lot of faith in them at that point.. NOT.

It's stories like this that I am choosing to pay out of pocket to a shop that has a 4.8 out of 5 rating and all they do is differentials. At this point I dont care if its covered by warranty, they aren't touching it.

OP
OP
johnny_wilson

johnny_wilson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4LHemi
Yeah, I know the only way that fuse would be blown is someone made a mistake and grounded something or hooked it up wrong. I know they want to fix it, and they are trying to be helpful but I'm blown away that it has gone this far. Just hope to get it back today. I'm already a bit screwed because here is no way I can get enough miles on it for break in before I tow next weekend. It also bothers me that I was told that "break in isn't really necessary anymore". If something goes wrong, you know I'll hear "but you didn't break it in properly". Just want this to be over with.

OP
OP
johnny_wilson

johnny_wilson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4LHemi
Just got the truck back. Everything seems ok. The noise is there but very faint. Maybe I’m just trained to hear it but definitely better. If it gets worse over time, it’s still under warranty. Still not sure why the fuse blew. I can’t see any arcing or discoloration on the terminals. Only time will tell at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
There isn't a factory break in procedure for gears.
That's because they spun over at the manufacturing plant for the axles to do kind of a pre break in to get the gears properly meshed.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
johnny_wilson

johnny_wilson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4LHemi
it does mention it in the manual so I figure its better to be safe than sorry. If I don't try to go easy on it for a little while and it gets noisy again, I want to be able to say that I did my part. Can't hurt.

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Fingers crossed for you! But yea just pay attention to what the manual says in regards to Towing and speeds etc.

Typical break in for new gears is Varying speed, let it set and cool, after 30 minutes or so then repeat, change fluid after 500 miles or so. You'll get all kinds of expert opinions on it and how to do it, the main thing is to give it a cooling cycle and not go to far in one run.

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Johnny, Im assuming you will be towing your camper over the holiday weekend. Depending on y our miles, it may be good to change fluid before you do so and get any potential break-in contaminates out of it and give it some nice clean fluid for the tow.
Report back and let us know how it did!

OP
OP
johnny_wilson

johnny_wilson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4LHemi
I had about 400 miles on it before towing. I went easy while towing. I did not have time to change the fluid out before our trip this weekend. It pulls great as usual however the noise is still there, just not as loud. I now need to decide if I'm going to press the issue at that dealer or try a different one. Also thought about going with a heavier weight synthetic to see if it quiets down a bit. That may be a last resort as I don't want to risk voiding my warranty.

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If you decide to change the fluid is it a perfect opportunity to check the pattern. You can do both at the same time if you have a set of jack stands.

Also, if you decide to pursue having the work redone just find another dealer. My guess is the dealer didn't set up the gears correctly and I doubt they're going to suddenly learn what they're doing wrong. I'd look for a competent axle shop though.

OP
OP
johnny_wilson

johnny_wilson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4LHemi
If it wasn't under warranty, I'd have an independent shop do it in a heart beat. I will check the pattern though. Thanks.

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Johnny, just a thought but having an independent shop look at it may save you some grief. For a couple hundred bucks they may be able to setup what you have now to be nice and quiet since it has so little time on it. Might be worth checking out. AT a Minimum i would change fluid. Usually 500 miles recommended after a break in as a rule of thumb but not sure you'll find that in writing. I tried a heaver viscosity in mine, it made no difference.

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Johnny, just a thought but having an independent shop look at it may save you some grief. For a couple hundred bucks they may be able to setup what you have now to be nice and quiet since it has so little time on it. Might be worth checking out. AT a Minimum i would change fluid. Usually 500 miles recommended after a break in as a rule of thumb but not sure you'll find that in writing. I tried a heaver viscosity in mine, it made no difference.

That's what I've been saying. I can guaranty no dealer is going to be able to tell anyone was inside the diff if you do have an axle shop fix their work. I had an entire service department staring at the front of my truck and not one person noticed the axle truss. Also, your warranty is worth what you can get a dealer to fix. If they can't or won't fix it, you essentially have no warranty.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
You don't get warranty parts returned to you.

You can for personal inspection. Yes they keep the warranty parts. But in non dealership work you can keep your old parts.

I Love My 2018 RAM 2500HD 4x4 Off Road. 6.4L. USMC (ret)