JVC KW-Z1000W / 10" Floating display just installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mark holliday

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What started as "how do I add Android Auto" to my 2015 CC Laramie with 8.4 Alpine ended up 10" JVC floating KW-Z1000W
Looked at the Infotainment UAQ 8.4 retrofit
For roughly the same money did the JVC, really happy with it
So many more features than the UAQ upgrade:
> 13 band EQ, parametric EQ, many other audio tweaking options.
> 4 camera inputs
> HD display with bonded low reflection, it really does not "wash out" display with sunlight
> Wireless Android Auto and Car Play. Love this feature, no cables etc and works great.
> Screen Mirroring, Wireless with Android and HDMI for Apple or Android
> To many others to list

Bottom line, very happy with this!!!

I have all the factory control options with the following installed:
Idatalink Maestro MRR - INTERFACE MODULE
Idatalink HRN-RR-CH3 - T HARNESS
Scosche CR1297DDB - Double Din Dash kit

What I don't have now?
Uconnect...... who cares never used it

I installed myself, not hard if you have done others before. I would say had about 8hrs in it going slow and careful.

Negatives...
Only really one. The screen is very bright and large at night. The "Dimming" control on JVC settings seems not to do anything.
Good thing is I can use the "screen off" button on my dash and the JVC goes very nearly black (My factory 8.4 still had a distinct "glow" even when off).

20210702_204551.jpg20210702_204624.jpg20210702_233435.jpg20210702_233505.jpg

any4xx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I did the same install a few months ago on my ‘14. I’m the guy who keeps the dash lights pretty low at night. I don’t remember my screen being overly bright at night. You may possibly be missing the auto-dim-with-headlights setting? Not sure if that’s what it’s called, but whatever setting dims the display when you turn the headlights on.

Also… this is a to each, his own thing, but I installed my screen height just like yours at first. Last week I lowered it to the one-up-from-the-bottom setting and like how it sits much better now. The lowest position obstructed access to just the very tops of the dials below the unit so that my fingers would touch the bottom of the screen if I turned the dials. One up from there was perfect.

Last edited:

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Very nice upgrade! I looked into this before buying a factory style dvd/navi unit.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
I'm a die hard kenwood fan, she would love to go to the 10" excelon, but i hate the volume **** on the front.
That is why this jvc is in my future plans, nice clean look, and i really like the idea of just spinning your finger in a circle on the screen to adjust volume. That is one cool feature that they should migrate over to the kenwood ui.
Thanks for sharing the pics, I've been wanting to see the jvc in our trucks.

As for your dimmer, are you sure you used the correct wire in the harness? I know it's been mentioned on 5star car stereo that the wrong dimmer wire is often used, very easy to mix them up.

maxiderm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I recently got the Kenwood Excelon 10 inch and I love it. Wireless Android Auto is a gamechanger.

OP
OP
M

mark holliday

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm a die hard kenwood fan, she would love to go to the 10" excelon, but i hate the volume **** on the front.
That is why this jvc is in my future plans, nice clean look, and i really like the idea of just spinning your finger in a circle on the screen to adjust volume. That is one cool feature that they should migrate over to the kenwood ui.

As for your dimmer, are you sure you used the correct wire in the harness? I know it's been mentioned on 5star car stereo that the wrong dimmer wire is often used, very easy to mix them up.

Thanks will double check the dimmer wire. Volume wise nice thing with Maestro MRR is that the factory volume knob works as well as the steering wheel buttons. Looked at both Kenwood and JVC, basically same units other than user interface design. Agreed like the cleaner (No volume knob) design of JVC and since factory volume knob works why have another one.

any4xx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hey Mark,

Did you ever figure this out? Initially I had no problem with mine but I reset the receiver after experiencing another issue and suddenly my nighttime display was blindingly bright. I ended up draping a towel over it last time I had to drive at night. I confirmed that my orange/white wire was hooked up properly and could see a difference in illumination when I turned the headlights on, so the dimmer was working properly.

This morning I finally spent some time messing with it and discovered that there are TWO settings that change the screen brightness. One is in the menu as “Brightness.” The other is in the menu as “Backlight.” I discovered that the brightness setting really didn’t dim it much, but the backlight setting really knocked it down to where I could barely see it.

icetraxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does the original volume knob still work? I like being able to turn the knob to increase the volume.

jamesanthony

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just did this install on my 14. Man it is so worth it. Meastro worked way better than expected. Does anyone know if you can get turn directions in instrument cluster? Mine doesnt, not big deal. It does show song playing which is better than stock as it mainly showed channel.

any4xx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I just did this install on my 14. Man it is so worth it. Meastro worked way better than expected. Does anyone know if you can get turn directions in instrument cluster? Mine doesnt, not big deal. It does show song playing which is better than stock as it mainly showed channel.
Mine doesn’t give me turn directions in the IC either.

jamesanthony

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks not deal breaker for sure, would be nice, but probably hard to implement for carplay/android auto.

Sstyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
FYI in settings you can turn off osd clock then when you turn display off the led lack lighting turns off as well.

jlsalani

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
have a '15 and really want carplay... was going to do the 2018 and later 8.4 upgrade but have seen way too many delamination issues!!.. the install above looks great but wondering... did you keep the options that are on my current 8.4? do you still have the HVAC zones to pick?, would I loose any of that?.... heck just the other way, what options that are on the 8.4 that I cannot get? Thanks.

any4xx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If you use the I datalink Maestro you keep everything that was available on your stock display and even add quite a bit more.

jlsalani

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
almost sounds like a better deal than trying to integrate the '18 and later 8.4... what about USB connection? can that still be in the console?, or is there one?

any4xx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I ordered through Crutchfield and part of the package was a new circuit board that replaced the one inside the center console compartment.

AustinAggie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Thanks for posting this - I am debating the same jvc model vs going with the stock 2018 8.4 upgrade to get CarPlay/android auto in my 2016 ram that has the older 8.4 radio.

Those who did this, how is it going a couple years in? Any issues? Did you get backlighting solved? Is the interface fast and responsive?

Last edited: