K & N filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brocker1234567

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
a week ago I installed a drop in K & N air filter in my 2021 Ram 1500 5.7 E torque…. It changed the entire dynamics and sound of the truck and not to the better either… Im old school I was flipping carburetor housings over on gt mustangs to get that throaty roar years ago. But, this was different!!! It gave it a throaty sound. Butttttt, it also messed w engine tach response and produced a sound that basically seemed to come from the drivers side of the motor. It was sound like the exhaust was loose!!!! Is this due to the sensors getting too much air or what would cause this???? Anyone else encountered this ????

VShagios

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
In any vehicle, when you change to a K&N you have to let the cfm sensors re-calibrate. On Ford, you disconnect the battery for a couple minutes and that resets the system so it can calibrate. If you don't reset the sensors, it will calibrate but it takes longer. I just put a drop in K&N in my Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi and it took about 100 miles and its running great, mpg ticked up about 1mpg.

HuskerRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Does it have the same symptoms when you put the paper filter back in?

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
In any vehicle, when you change to a K&N you have to let the cfm sensors re-calibrate. On Ford, you disconnect the battery for a couple minutes and that resets the system so it can calibrate. If you don't reset the sensors, it will calibrate but it takes longer. I just put a drop in K&N in my Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi and it took about 100 miles and its running great, mpg ticked up about 1mpg.
BS to a large degree........:(

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
I've used them on a few vehicles and never had a weird exhaust sound. Go back and check your install. Might just be something that needs to be tightened. Worse case from previous post, put stock back on and see if it goes away. I'm betting on something loose. Btdt. :)

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I have always experienced more of an intake sound but not what you are describing. You are going to get a lot of haters on this subject but I have been using K&N filters for over a decade & never had any issues. The performance & mileage is very little but I have a forever filter. Just clean it once or twice a year. If you keep your vehicles long enough the pay for themselves.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
a week ago I installed a drop in K & N air filter in my 2021 Ram 1500 5.7 E torque…. It changed the entire dynamics and sound of the truck and not to the better either… Im old school I was flipping carburetor housings over on gt mustangs to get that throaty roar years ago. But, this was different!!! It gave it a throaty sound. Butttttt, it also messed w engine tach response and produced a sound that basically seemed to come from the drivers side of the motor. It was sound like the exhaust was loose!!!! Is this due to the sensors getting too much air or what would cause this???? Anyone else encountered this ????
Mine came with the K&N kit.
It was the first thing I yanked off, didn't need the hot air sucker for sure.
Go with the Vararam if you want a CAI and you'll love it!
IMG_1550.JPG

zrock

Reaction score
K&N is junk, lots of posts out their showing they allow fine dust into the engine.. No benefit what so even on a stock engine. Before anyone says it yes tey are used in the racing world but they also rebuild a engine after every race so they are never going to se a dusted engine

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
K&N is just old timey oiled toilet paper (cotton fiber). It is a rock catcher meant for the relatively clean air confines of racing - not truck duty.

Use a paper or synthetic (preferred) media. Lots of Google articles about this.

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
I agree - I have, and have had K&N's in everything I own and have owned, Even our riding mowers. Never had that issue. Double check your work, have someone else listen to it to help pin point it, and its location.

Mopar440

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (345cid)
I've run K&N in my vehicles for about 30 years and never had an issue. I put on in my 2017 Hemi Ram and no issues. Performance picked up at touch and fuel economy increase a touch but too about 200 Km before I noticed the improvements. I keep it clean and keep it oiled (lightly).

HANSOME

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 1500
Engine
I just installed a kn63 series drop in, and got no changes.

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
I dropped one in and gained almost a gallon per mile average. Win.
Another BS'er, new member. Don't try to troll on here. Almost..............

Artwerx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Another BS'er, new member. Don't try to troll on here. Almost..............
Haters gonna hate. It's absolutely true. What exactly do I gain by lying about this again...?

I was at 9.8 ampg and since I dropped in the K&N I'm at 10.7-10.8 ampg. I don't know how that's "trolling". Maybe you need to rtfm?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I would not give up top notch filtration as I use my truck in dusty conditions a lot, and you definitely do give up filtration with the K&N. There are also a ton of independent test reports that show other ill effects of them, depending on filter, kit used, operating environment, etc. I cannot believe there has never been a class action suit against them.

2Tallguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
a week ago I installed a drop in K & N air filter in my 2021 Ram 1500 5.7 E torque…. It changed the entire dynamics and sound of the truck and not to the better either… Im old school I was flipping carburetor housings over on gt mustangs to get that throaty roar years ago. But, this was different!!! It gave it a throaty sound. Butttttt, it also messed w engine tach response and produced a sound that basically seemed to come from the drivers side of the motor. It was sograb a freshly oiled K7Nund like the exhaust was loose!!!! Is this due to the sensors getting too much air or what would cause this???? Anyone else encountered this ????G

I would not give up top notch filtration as I use my truck in dusty conditions a lot, and you definitely do give up filtration with the K&N. There are also a ton of independent test reports that show other ill effects of them, depending on filter, kit used, operating environment, etc. I cannot believe there has never been a class action suit against them.
Project Farm UTube tested a number of dry and oiled filters. The K&N rated rock bottom on filtration and best for flow. Wonder why?