Keep my 2018 PW or go with the 75th Anniversary???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Down the Tubes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
We are getting ready to move from Hawaii to Idaho.
I bought a 2018 PW a couple of years ago, with the intent of taking the truck to Idaho.
One of my employees keeps trying to buy the truck from me.

This got me thinking......should I save the $1,500 on shipping and just sell the truck here?

I have a Carli Backcountry suspension kit, Fuel rims, and Nitto 35" Ridge Grappler tires.
Other than that, my truck is pretty stock.

The high blue book for my truck (and my area) is $56,618
I found a white and an olive green 75th Anniversary PW for under $69,000 (......email or call for REAL price.....)

What do you guys think?
The 8 speed transmission would be a nice upgrade.
I don't really know about the shifter knob and push button 4x4 selector......We have a work truck with the shifter knob. I feel a little lost when I get in the truck, but I don't drive it enough to get used to it.

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
If the title is clean and no liens and truck is in excellent condition, sell and buy the 75th. Then you're saddled with another loan and payments, but if you get top dollar for it that would go along way on down payment on a $70K truck or pay in full if you're willing and able. I can't help but wonder if the salt air has affected finish, chrome, other metal stuff, drivetrain, etc.

Seems the 75th is the talk of the town around here nowadays. I have a '16 and no plans to trade up. This is my last truck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Down the Tubes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The title is clean, it will be paid off in a week (which means a lot to me).

As for the salt, I live up at 2,500' elevation. There's a lot of salt in the rain, but not as much as there is in the mist at sea level.
I don't think it's really a factor, other than the bolts underneath being a little bit discolored.
It stays fairly dirty, I work on a ranch. Lots of dirt roads, mud, etc..
I do wash the truck & under carriage really well at least once a month though.

I don't even really want the 75th to tell you the truth.
I would be very happy with a floor shifter, 8 speed transmission, and stellar audio.....don't even need leather seats truthfully.

I have had really bad luck offering all cash for truck purchases. It doesn't usually work in the dealer's favor, so they don't like to negotiate on the price much.
I'd probably offer $30,000 - $40,000 down to get a great price and interest rate. Then, I'd pay it off in a few months.
So far, it seems like that has been the best way to negotiate a good deal in my area. Not sure how it works elsewhere.

I really like my truck, but I keep hearing how much of an improvement the 8 speed transmission is.

OP
OP
D

Down the Tubes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I like the new auxiliary switches and off road pages on the newer trucks.

I hate the rain sensitive wipers on my truck, but I guess they all have that now.......

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So $1,500 to ship the truck or $13,000 to get a new truck, then add in several thousand more $ to upgrade the new truck in the same way (suspension, tires and wheels).
Also, is the $69,000 the OTD (out the door) price or do you have to add in tax and title? I've talked to a lot of people that quote the trade in value versus the cost of the new truck, but forget to add in the $5k-$6k in tax and title for the new one.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Come an Idaho winter you'll miss having your 35" tires. The newest 2022's Power Wagons still come with 33's. You don't need no stinking 75th Anniversary badges on a 2021, but your already equipped 2018.
IMG_1180-860x558.jpg

OP
OP
D

Down the Tubes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
My mistake, I was looking at a few Big Horns and Laramie trucks as well.
I can't seem to find a PW with the Aux switches. It's really a shame, Ford has had Aux switches for a long time.......

MantaRay67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I retired from the Marine Corps out of Hawaii and shipped two vehicles home stateside to the East Coast.

I just bought a 21 Power Wagon and I can't tell you how impressed I am... with Ram in general and the Power Wagon in particular!

I've been a Jeep and Land Cruiser guy Overlanding for decades. The wife wanted to trade up to a travel trailer and we need something with more grunt! Power Wagon it is. Just don't complain about gas mileage - that's not why you buy a Power Wagon!

Go look at a 75A in Hawaii to help you make your decision.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
I retired from the Marine Corps out of Hawaii and shipped two vehicles home stateside to the East Coast.

I just bought a 21 Power Wagon and I can't tell you how impressed I am... with Ram in general and the Power Wagon in particular!

I've been a Jeep and Land Cruiser guy Overlanding for decades. The wife wanted to trade up to a travel trailer and we need something with more grunt! Power Wagon it is. Just don't complain about gas mileage - that's not why you buy a Power Wagon!

Go look at a 75A in Hawaii to help you make your decision.
Gas mileage doesn't matter if you can't find any gasoline locally.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Down the Tubes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Gas mileage doesn't matter if you can't find any gasoline locally.
Man, sorry to hear that!
The same thing can easily happen out here......I try to keep 40 gallons of non-ethanol in my shed, just for such an occasion.
Happy 4th anyway!!!

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Man, sorry to hear that!
The same thing can easily happen out here......I try to keep 40 gallons of non-ethanol in my shed, just for such an occasion.
Happy 4th anyway!!!
We have two (2) good east to west routes from the Front Range (Pueblo, Colorado Springs, and Denver) over the High Country passes to the central Western Slope of Colorado. Highway 50 has road construction and is closed until one lane traffic on weekends and I-70 has been closed extensively due to mud slides. I have approximately 40 gallons of 10% ethanol gasoline on hand.

Last edited:

nail_bender1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Interesting situation for you. Like many I received an offer from a dealer for my 2018 with 33k miles that as much as I paid 51K. Got me thinking about a new 75th anniversary. Checked for a truck optioned the same as mine and it lists for 75k. So maybe 70 or so. Then reality set in why spend 20K to replace a perfectly great truck with one very similar, yes a few new gizmos and new 8spd tranny. But is that worth it? I'm sticking with the 2018 its a great truck, immaculate condition and will look in a few years for a new toy. my 2 cents.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I intentionally waited to buy a PW with the new body style and 8 speed transmission. They improved the interior by a good bit and I was not a fan of the 6 speed coupled to the gas engine.

I am surprised you found a 75A for that price so that is a very good deal. I could not touch one in Houston for under about $75-80k OTD two months ago in this current market.

Fergusontd

FTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like the new auxiliary switches and off road pages on the newer trucks.

I hate the rain sensitive wipers on my truck, but I guess they all have that now.......
There should be a setting to shut tbem off and be able to operate on normal interval mode. Check your owners manual.