Key fob programming

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

njohnson6425

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I lost one of my 3 button key fobs for my 2008 Ram 1500. Of course a dealer says about $200 for a new key and programmed however I can find the exact looking uncut key for under $20. From what I read it's pretty easy to program as long as you have one of the original keys which I do. Has anyone or can anyone confirm this before I go to the dealer?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I lost one of my 3 button key fobs for my 2008 Ram 1500. Of course a dealer says about $200 for a new key and programmed however I can find the exact looking uncut key for under $20. From what I read it's pretty easy to program as long as you have one of the original keys which I do. Has anyone or can anyone confirm this before I go to the dealer?
Here is a step-by-step procedure:

1. INSERT the first working remote head key into the Ignition.
  2. TURN the Ignition to the ON position for at least three (3) seconds but no longer than fifteen (15) seconds.
  3. TURN the Ignition to the OFF position and remove the first remote head key.
  4. INSERT the second working remote head key into the Ignition.
  5. TURN the Ignition to the ON position for at least three (3) seconds but no longer than fifteen (15) seconds.
  6. After ten (10) seconds a chime will sound and the vehicle’s security light will begin to flash.
  7. TURN the Ignition to the LOCK position and REMOVE the second remote head key.
  8. INSERT the NEW remote head key into the Ignition.
  9. TURN the Ignition to the ON position within 60 seconds.
  10. After ten (10) seconds a single chime will sound and the vehicle’s security light will stop flashing.
  11. The vehicle’s security light will turn ON again for three (3) seconds and OFF to indicate successful programming.
  12. Test all remotes. Programming is now complete. The remote and key are now both programmed.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
That will not help him since he only has one, for that procedure you have to have two working fobs. It's either a dealer or locksmith trip.

Bloody_Knuckles

USN 81-86
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So the tip of the day is as soon as you purchase a car, look to see if there is a cheap way to program spare keys before you lose one.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
That will not help him since he only has one, for that procedure you have to have two working fobs. It's either a dealer or locksmith trip.
You are correct brother. I didn't realize that the OP only had one key until I went back and re-read his post a few minutes ago. Thanks for spotting it.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You are correct brother. I didn't realize that the OP only had one key until I went back and re-read his post a few minutes ago. Thanks for spotting it.

The only way I've seen around this (if you don't have dealer level software and hardware yourself) is the upscale EVIC available (but apparently not common) in 02-05's has programming key fobs as a menu option. I put one one in my truck and then programmed one out of the junkyard just for fun so I had a working spare.

IMAG5300.jpg

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The only way I've seen around this (if you don't have dealer level software and hardware yourself) is the upscale EVIC available (but apparently not common) in 02-05's has programming key fobs as a menu option. I put one one in my truck and then programmed one out of the junkyard just for fun so I had a working spare.

IMAG5300.jpg
I actually have 2005 Ram 2500 Laramie that came equipped with the Highline EVIC like this one. Back in 2005 when I bought the truck it was the first Ram that I had ever seen with this overhead installed. I didn't mention it because I have seen so few trucks with it installed. Good find though brother!

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Figured that one about 9yrs ago, the fact that I actually managed to find the correct part number (and a new one at that) still astounds me lol. Went in with the longer overhead so I had a place to put the shades. Looks way better than the calculator looking OTIS and has some features none of my LX's have.

65a7ceae99966ef4cb04549cdba5d4f4.jpg

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It's amazing how few of these actually exist. I have a couple of them that I snagged from the local salvage yards over the years.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iralee