Kicker Hideaway or other (Rockville, Kenwood, etc)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I've been mulling over adding a powered subwoofer. It really bugs me that Ram put the wiring for the oem sub in the back but didn't connect it to anything in the harness on the std non-alpine systems, if I am reading a few posts correctly. Would have been so easy to have just dropped in the OEM powered sub from ebay or wherever and plugged it in/gtg :(.

Going to run by local audio shop tomorrow, but for a basic powered sub box it seems Kicker and Rockville are the two most popular options? In my youth I did the boomer deal - custom boxes, multiple amps, bunch of 12's, even did a few shows... but those days are over lol...

Now just looking to supplement the OEM 8.4 setup a bit. Similar to the OP I've upgrade the door/dash speakers with Kicker and Pioneer speakers, but am keeping the 8.4 head unit. Have the Quad cab, power/heated seats, jack under pass seat - so I guess these slim amps can go behind the rear seat back without much fuss?

Ideally I'd like to have a crossover so I could take some low end away from the rear doors, but I don't think a simple powered sub install will give me that option, esp if getting it's audio signal from a single side rear speaker wire.

I suppose the other options is to look at a simple 5 channel amp, since I already upgraded the other speakers, and connect with speaker wire level output since my radio harness lacks any RCA outputs? Or does someone make a replacement harness that adds RCA - I though I saw a post about that - I'll have to search back.

But adding the powered sub seems like the simplest solution for what I am looking for, tbh.

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
If you don't have the Alpine system then the plug is not powered and no signal, is just there. Would need to take signal off probably rear door, I Seen others on here tried the Rockville shallow amplied sub that's like $100 and said it does the job. They have 2 styles, a blue metal type shallow sub and a grey metal one. Grey one is newer and like $90.

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
I put the Rockville 8" in my 2018 Big Horn. I looked at Kicker, Rockville, Kenwood, and Cerwin Vega. I paid a lot of attention to frequency response, bass roll-off and sensitivity. The Kenwood was quickly eliminated because the frequency response didn't get down far enough into the deep bass notes. The Kicker was eliminated on the cost factor. I ended up with Rockville because it had decent specs, was the best value, and had a smaller size. The Kicker looked like a fine piece of equipment but I didn't think it was worth more than twice the cost of the Rockville.

Last edited:
OP
OP
78Staff

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Stopped by the local audio shop, looked at a few options. Kinda narrowed it down to basically a single 10" Alpine S type in a passenger side under seat box and Alpine MV-500 amp, or a pair of Alpine Type S 10's in a full under seat box with a JL Audio JX500 or one step up into the RD500 amp, or possibly an RD900 5 channel and going ahead and powering all the speakers from it.

They did have the kicker as well, I looked at it but seeing a bunch of online reviews about reliability issues, failing after a few months, etc. For a little more a 10" with dedicated box and amp would definitely be the better option I think.

Is there no simple way to add RCA outputs to our stock 8.4? They did have a dsp processor package with pass-through cable specific to our head units, but it was $600 or so. I could have sworn someone offered a harness of some sort that simply added RCA's for an external amp.

Jbyron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently installed the kicker hideaway and I concur you will get better sound with a separate amp and sub combo. That said I am enjoying the hideaway for what it is I have sub and amp combos in my two other cars and I don’t mind the reduced bass one bit.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So far pleased with the Rockville 10”. Mine is mounted vertical against the rear cab wall in my CC. I PosiTapped both rear speakers in my B pillar and wired it in using high level input for signal and for power on/off. Sounds excellent, but I am going to change it over to low level input. I had bought a Kicker KISL-2 speaker wire to RCA, but didnt use. Will use that now and run the remote power on/off to an ignition on/off tap. I have the RA2.
Think I paid $140 for it...for the money its amazing. I just didnt want to take up my underseat cubbies much less pay $600 for the high end fitted sub. Its not like I am showing it off or anything. Just wanted some low end “punch”.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
The Kicker Hideway continues to be the #1 selling powered sub we make. Its been on the market for many, many years. I had one on my 2011 Ram, under the seat. All you need is to tap into a speaker lead and 12v power.
I don't see reliability issues, of course you see some issues, but nobody ever says it was due to the install..

But loved mine!

OP
OP
78Staff

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Rockford Fosgate DSR-1 DSP Click the link, These are sweet and only $270. There is a thread on here about it. This will integrate right into the 8.4 system and you will have control from your phone.

I've read about the RF, I did ask them about it they sell it as well but prefer the Axxess one apparently due to the flexibility, or so they said. I mis-understood the price, it is basically same pricing as the RF

https://axxessinterfaces.com/product/AX-DSP

Still mulling everything over - first thing I am going to get the damn rear doors fixed - that rattle is driving me nuts. I'm not doing anything until I know that is resolved. Going to try and get that knocked out tomorrow. Then I'll decide on a Hideaway setup, or adding separate amp/sub setup, or just putting in a 5 channel and powering everything off it like the JL Audio RD900 or Pioneer DX975 Ie $$, $$$, or $$$$ lol.

OP
OP
78Staff

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The Kicker Hideway continues to be the #1 selling powered sub we make. Its been on the market for many, many years. I had one on my 2011 Ram, under the seat. All you need is to tap into a speaker lead and 12v power.
I don't see reliability issues, of course you see some issues, but nobody ever says it was due to the install..

But loved mine!

Thanks, yeah I wish I could hear one - there are so many differing opinions out there on how it sounds - ie some say great, some say not loud enough, some say not enough bass, some say great for small car/reg cab only, etc... I guess it all depends on what the customer is expecting to some degree.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
well, its not teeth rattling, but a huge upgrade to a factory or slightly upgraded audio setup.
We have new dealer upfitters sell them with door speaker replacement and a Hideaway to new Tundras and Tacomas. Sell tons of them. My 2011 RC, had factory radio, replaced doors speakers and added one under the seat for 2 years. More than enough.

Ecofx86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
what's your budget?

will u install yourself?

I have 8.4 non alpine system. I installed two alpine amps( mrv 500 and s-a32f)
I changed front and rear doors to Kicker DS series. Amp set at 50 watts rms frequency set at high pass 70. Those speakers sound damn good when amplified compared to running off the stock unit.

I paid 130 for the 4 channel amp and 117 for the mono block, 30 bucks for the KnuKonceptz KCA Complete 4 Gauge Amp Installation Wiring Kit .

I used NetAudio T harness to get signal and speaker wires to amp. All plug n play ! no noise amps auto turn on.
https://www.netaudiowf.com/product/2013-18-dodge-ram-amplifier-ready-t-harness-with-load-resistors/

I was looking at 5 channels amps but 240 bucks I couldn't pass up the alpine amps.

Sub is a Single 12 inch kicker comp R 500 watt rms and box is fox acoustic. ( currently waiting on Box for last 2 weeks, sub should be here tomorrow) sub 119 box 220 shipped.

791 bucks for the my setup besides buying the front, dash and rear door speakers( which u have already).

this gives u an idea of cost.

If u just want to add power sub ,I believe all u have to do is get rear speaker wire, tap into it and run high level input on the amp( if the amp has high level option) run your power wire on driver side. You will come out much cheaper this way! just depends on your budget!

OP
OP
78Staff

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If I go with a powered sub solution ~Kicker or Rockville etc I'd likely just do it myself since it's straitforward. If I went with full on replacement amps, subs/box, processor, etc I'd probably just let the shop handle it. I could likely do it myself - I built and ran a few show systems in my younger days, but tbh at this point in my life I'm happy to pay someone to deal with it :).

If I can get the door rattling sorted I'm leaning towards a 5 channel and dual 10's with the processor, but still deciding to be honest.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@78Staff similar history here too. I just decided that for what I wanted the end result to be, I couldn’t justify spending the money. The result is a sound system that sounds 5 times better than stock and I can crank on it with the windows down and still hear the music highs, mids and that low punch from the sub. Its all hidden, the only clue is the bass knob which is routed and mounted on the lower jump seat tray, with the blue LED indicator light coated with a drop of black paint....damn thing was BRIGHT!! I think all total I’m in it for less than $500 in speakers/wiring and my own time.

OP
OP
78Staff

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
well, its not teeth rattling, but a huge upgrade to a factory or slightly upgraded audio setup.
We have new dealer upfitters sell them with door speaker replacement and a Hideaway to new Tundras and Tacomas. Sell tons of them. My 2011 RC, had factory radio, replaced doors speakers and added one under the seat for 2 years. More than enough.

@Graygoose I saw an older thread on the Hideaway where you advised to tap into front door speaker wires instead of the rear ones in the b-piller - curious as to why it would make a difference?

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
It may have been if it was a 2 door RC. all it needs is a signal to turn on the amp.

OP
OP
78Staff

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Man I am torn - I noted in another thread how I finally got my rear panel rattle under control, and system is sounding nice now - nice enough that I don't think I need to pursue a giant sub box, 5 channel amp, dual 10's, etc... that would get me chasing a damn rabbit probably. So am leaning towards the Hideaway or the Rockville SS8P, which appears to be a damn near copy of the Kicker Hideaway at half the cost.

I've tried to watch some install videos but they all sound terrible - camera mics/phone mic's just don't pick up the bass I guess - too low of a frequency - it's hard to tell the difference before and after with any of these small powered subs in the videos at least.

My thought process at this point is either - Try one of these, and if it's "not enough" for whatever reason, pull it and go with a separate amp and 10" rear passenger side box.

Actually, comparing the Kicker Hideaway to say an Alpine MRV500 and S Type 10", plus a rear box the cost is pretty close. Which makes me think just go ahead and get the components lol.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, youve got some pondering to do...
For me, I was pleased with just the Kicker upgrade, but I thought man, it a $138 and look at all the great reviews...so I pushed the button. Without distortion and sounding bad, it adds say 50% more bass with that subwoofer kick. I mean its no proper component system by a long way, but it does sound pretty awesome. I am still getting used to it, when I crank up say some old school Dr.Feelgood or even modern ID Thunder, I smile as a weird sensation happens, I can feel the bass hit in my accelerator pedal, which makes me turn it down to be sure my motor is running ok...chuckles

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Take this for what its worth, Rockville and Kicker hide away etc are great options for a super duper easy install and they will sound good for what they are. They're built well (from what I can tell) and they look nice....has that factory finished look. The powered subs have their place for sure....you won't find me knocking them. With that said, consider the seperate amp, sub route. The Alpine MRP-M500 is a great little mono amp. I owned two and they never missed a beat and I ran them really hard. Plug an affordable 10 inch sub in a nice solid box with appropriate air space for the sub and it will perform much better. For example, an Image Dynamics IDQ10 ($100) in a sealed box with 300-500 watts will sound awesome and it will boogie too. That's just one of many many options that will perform better...you can always turn the sub bass down if its overwhelming, or crank it when the time is right...
again...food for thought pal

Matts175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7