Koni STR.T (Orange) - Light Truck Series - Shock Review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pickles

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Sorry - this doesn't fit in the "lowered" OR "lifted" forums, so seems like this is the place for it. Mods - please move as you see fit.

https://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthAmerica/Products/Cars/STR-T-LT-Series-(Orange)/

So it's been a week or so since I changed out my Bilstein 4600s for these new Koni STR.T Light Truck Series shocks. The Bilsteins had 105k miles on them and were quite tired (but not blown). Since we sold our big-ass trailer, time for a better ride.

I think the Koni's are softer than the Bilsteins, not nearly as soft as stock, but even while soft they are exceptionally responsive. We have some absolute **** roads around here, and the response to dampen the spring is excellent (especially in the front), and just like the Bils, a little weight in the back (think 100-150 lbs) makes the rear rock solid.

Since I'm no longer towing, I can't talk about tow weight durability, but these things seem pretty stout - I wouldn't be surprised if they are excellent with a load.

All that - and the lifetime warranty is fantastic. I've never heard anything bad about Koni replacement policy.

All in all, I've very happy with the purchase.

Last edited:

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First generation neon acr came with koni adjustables from the factory ;)

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Pickles

Pickles

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Oh - and for anyone thinking of doing this job yourself, if you have a 2wd Ram, here's an installation tip.

The "hole" in the bottom of the front lower spring mounts (where the shock is inserted during installation) can be a shade too small for the shock to insert (Koni's have hard uppers, so they can't be removed from the shock during stall like the Bilsteins). My driver's side was a tight fit, but the passenger side was ~2mm smaller in diameter, which made install impossible.

I ended up VERY lightly grinding that hole a little on each side to open the hole enough to slam the shock through.

You could also not be a ******* like I am - since right after install I figured out I needed new upper ball joints, and could have just removed the springs while doing the ball joints to more easily install the shock without grinding the spring mount.