L.S.D doesn't work Ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think you could measure the clearance on the spider gears on the Ram L.S.D. without completely disassembling the diff. They are completely enclosed in the clutch pack. This is not a case of wear and tear or clearances. This is a truck with 7k miles of freeway driving that has never been driven hard. The differential works perfectly on one side and not the other. IMO something is wrong with whatever mechanism senses torque on one side and is not activating the clutches.

Last edited:

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Rick, I'm thinking if you gave the truck gas befor your back wheels were turning different speeds, you should have had both of em spinning. Maybe if you were rounding the curve, and both tires were not turning the same speed, the LSD did not give both rear tires full torque. I don't know for sure. I'm trying to figure it out.

These rear ends aren't a true Posi Trac. From a stop, If I have one tire on dry concrete, and one on wet grass, only one will spin. But if I'm rolling, and one wheel is on dry concrete, and one is in the grass, the one in the grass will spin, and the one on the concrete will leave a black mark. Even at that, I don't think they are both getting the same amount of torque.

I had to watch the video about how this rear end works before I understood it. I think I get it now. Like I said, it's not a true Posi Trac, but once I understood it, I'm satisfied with it.

matty169

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If I'm on a curve and give it throttle it blows the inside tire off. These rears are junk imho.

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I'm on a curve and give it throttle it blows the inside tire off. These rears are junk imho.

None of the four trucks we tested did that. They spun both tires on pavement no matter how we drove it or turned. If you are sure you have an L.S.D. diff you might want yo have it checked.

matty169

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
dealer wouldnt do anything because of mods. Screw em......

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I finally got my truck back from the dealer. They replaced my carrier and bearings. It works perfect now. I have full posi on both wheels no mater which tire is trying to spin it locks the other wheel instantly. I am stoked that it finally works right after getting the run around at first from the dealer. The mechanic showed me the fluid was real milky. He asked me if I had ever had the differential under water launching my boat. I told them I bought the truck new and it's never been anywhere near the water. I am kinda at a loss as to why the fluid looked like that. I am going to.drain it in a few months and see how it looks.

Last edited:

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
The mechanic showed me the fluid was real milky. (...) I am going to.drain it in a few months and see how it looks.
Frankly, on a new truck that new, I'd prod them to change it for you.

If it ain't right, it wasn't right from the factory.

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
man i need an anti-spin bad....

You can get the factory anti-spin carrier from Moe's performance. I think.its around 450.00 but not sure. They definetly are nice to have when they are working properly.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Matty, that's a little harsh. I mean, you're entitled to your opinion. And I respect that. But once you learn how these thing work, then you know why they do what they do. I was disappointed with mine at first also.

From a stop, when one wheel has a lot of traction, and the other has little or none, you'll still get the one wheel peel. But once you have both wheels turning, the gears will compress the little clutches, and you'll have torque to both. I'm not real crazy about that design, but it's better than an open. And if I'm in dire straights, I'm going to put it into 4WD anyway.