Latest Lighting Idea

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
So after much debate and having my light bar off for about a month now, I'm really starting to miss it. I purchased a set of Hella 500s, 55w HIDs for them, and gunsmoke laminx with the intention of putting them behind my grill. I've got the retro fit done, I just can't bring myself to mount them.

So having the light bar still sitting in the garage it gave me an idea. The lights that are on the light bar now are Westin 55w but are only 5" and seem a little on the small side in comparison to the way my truck sits.

Here's my idea, (4) Hella 700s retrofitted with HIDs and protected from rock chips by gunsmoke laminx. The 700s are 7" tall so they will be a little bigger than what I've got now. Oh yeah....fitted with 55w HIDs of course. :D

So if I follow through with this...I'd have a total of (8) 55w HID's and (2) Silverstar Ultras (in the high beams) on at once. Overkill....nah!

Any thoughts about this? Or should I just stick with 5" lights?

Mad Cow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I say go for it. I could not be happier with mine.

DSC_4754.jpg

You know you want to.

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
you could always have some on seperate switches. like have certain ones point more up for lighting a distance like a spot light and some pointed more towards the ground to light up right in front of you and maybe some pointed more outward to give a greater spread... just some ideas

OP
OP
Musclemckeester

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I'm getting a good vibe about this! :D

I'd run 4 on the light bar, just like Mad Cow's setup. None behind the grill then.

Mad Cow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Yeah you have the light bar and you rocked it long before I got here. I think the light bar look is a great look for your turck and will look even better with larger lights.

OP
OP
Musclemckeester

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Yeah you have the light bar and you rocked it long before I got here. I think the light bar look is a great look for your turck and will look even better with larger lights.

I guess we helped each other out. I just think the 5" look too small now in relation to everything else. Your 7" look just right IMO.

Do you remember how much your HID lights were? I've got to determine if it's worth the time/effort to HID my own set or buy them already HID'd.

I think the 7"'s would look awesome :)

Thanks, I hope so too!

Mad Cow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
They have 7" HID's with out the red ring so they are all black 6000K color. They for $230 per light up here. Everything is a bit more expensive up here. I think O-rilley auto parts carry them. I'll try and find a link.

OP
OP
Musclemckeester

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
$230 per light or per pair?

I've added up:
-Hella 700s ($72/pair x2) = $144
-DDM 55w HID (slim ballasts - may end up with regular ballasts)($50x2+$15 shipping) = $115
-Laminx ($20/pair x2) = $40

Total = $300, for all 4, fully HID'd.

What sucks is I'm gonna be doing a lot of wiring and mounting of ballasts, but there should be plenty of places to mount them behind the bumper. Sounds like doing my own might be a considerable savings though.

Mad Cow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
$230 per light or per pair?

I've added up:
-Hella 700s ($72/pair x2) = $144
-DDM 55w HID (slim ballasts - may end up with regular ballasts)($50x2+$15 shipping) = $115
-Laminx ($20/pair x2) = $40

Total = $300, for all 4, fully HID'd.

What sucks is I'm gonna be doing a lot of wiring and mounting of ballasts, but there should be plenty of places to mount them behind the bumper. Sounds like doing my own might be a considerable savings though.

That is awesome. Then if you needed to fix something you could open up and replace a light or balast. That sounds like the way to go man.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
I ran 4 HID'd offroad lights at one time...........its the ****. do it.