Leak from Clearance Lights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LHMegaCummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Hey everyone,

So I have a 2017 2500 long horn mega cab ... When I was leaving for work this morning I noticed that the clearance light on the far passenger side was out ... Then as I was driving and took a turn, a drop of water fell onto my lap and it was at that point I noticed water coming from the plastic over the center console and slight water stains on the header.

My truck is completely stock and has 42,000 miles on it ... I saw on this forum that this is a known issue? Has anyone had experience with this getting fixed being "out of warranty".

I understand that the warranty ends at 36,000 miles, but leaking water from the roof on a $76,000 two year old truck really has me beyond frustrated ...

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
There was a recall, might want to see if your truck is covered under it. If so, yes, you’ll get it taken care of outside of warranty. If not, you’re likely boned.

OP
OP
LHMegaCummins

LHMegaCummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
There was a recall, might want to see if your truck is covered under it. If so, yes, you’ll get it taken care of outside of warranty. If not, you’re likely boned.

Thank you, I messaged ram cares privately on this forum ... I’m I’m boned I’m never buying another product from them and I have spent a ton of money on Jeeps and Ram products over the past 6 years ...

Even if it’s a $75 fix, I shouldn’t have to make that fix on this expensive of a vehicle

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Does your truck fall under the date range in this memo? They should fix it if so. If not it will be on you since your warranty is up.

NUMBER: 23-014-18 REV. A
GROUP: 23 Body
DATE: April 20, 2018

SUBJECT: Cracked Clearance Lamp Lenses

OVERVIEW: This bulletin involves replacing the cab clearance lamps.

MODELS:
2017/2018 (DJ) RAM 2500 Pickup
2017/2018 (DD) RAM 3500 Cab Chassis
2017/2018 (DF) RAM 3500 <10K LB Cab Chassis
2017/2018 (D2) RAM 3500 Pickup
2017/2018 (DP) RAM 4500/5500 Cab Chassis
2017/2018 (DX) RAM Truck (Mexico)

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles within the following markets/countries: NAFTA,
EMEA and LATAM.
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or after April 01, 2017 (MDH 0401XX) or on or
before **October 20, 2017 (MDH 1020XX)** equipped with Clearance Lamps (Sales
Code LNC).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION: The vehicle may have been built with cab clearance lamps that may fail prematurely.

DIAGNOSIS: If a customer’s VIN is listed in VIP or on your RRT VIN list, perform the repair. If any vehicle not on the
VIN list exhibits the symptom/condition, perform the repair.

REPAIR PROCEDURE: Replace all five clearance lamps

OP
OP
LHMegaCummins

LHMegaCummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Does your truck fall under the date range in this memo? They should fix it if so. If not it will be on you since your warranty is up.

NUMBER: 23-014-18 REV. A
GROUP: 23 Body
DATE: April 20, 2018

SUBJECT: Cracked Clearance Lamp Lenses

OVERVIEW: This bulletin involves replacing the cab clearance lamps.

MODELS:
2017/2018 (DD) RAM 3500 Cab Chassis
2017/2018 (DF) RAM 3500 <10K LB Cab Chassis
2017/2018 (D2) RAM 3500 Pickup
2017/2018 (DP) RAM 4500/5500 Cab Chassis
2017/2018 (DX) RAM Truck (Mexico)

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles within the following markets/countries: NAFTA,
EMEA and LATAM.
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or after April 01, 2017 (MDH 0401XX) or on or
before **October 20, 2017 (MDH 1020XX)** equipped with Clearance Lamps (Sales
Code LNC).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION: The vehicle may have been built with cab clearance lamps that may fail prematurely.

DIAGNOSIS: If a customer’s VIN is listed in VIP or on your RRT VIN list, perform the repair. If any vehicle not on the
VIN list exhibits the symptom/condition, perform the repair.

REPAIR PROCEDURE: Replace all five clearance lamps

Thank You !
Do you know what the DJ is in reference to?

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Thank you, I messaged ram cares privately on this forum ... I’m I’m boned I’m never buying another product from them and I have spent a ton of money on Jeeps and Ram products over the past 6 years ...

Even if it’s a $75 fix, I shouldn’t have to make that fix on this expensive of a vehicle
You wouldn’t buy another Chrysler product because of a failure on a vehicle that is 6,000 miles out of warranty? Vehicle ownership is a risk, manufacturing defects and failures are a fact of life. The truck is guaranteed against failures for up to 36k miles, you’re 6k miles over that. They’re obligated to do nothing, and you’d be kidding yourself if you thought you would get a different response from another brand. Each one would tell you the same thing, it isn’t the brand.

OP
OP
LHMegaCummins

LHMegaCummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
You wouldn’t buy another Chrysler product because of a failure on a vehicle that is 6,000 miles out of warranty? Vehicle ownership is a risk, manufacturing defects and failures are a fact of life. The truck is guaranteed against failures for up to 36k miles, you’re 6k miles over that. They’re obligated to do nothing, and you’d be kidding yourself if you thought you would get a different response from another brand. Each one would tell you the same thing, it isn’t the brand.

100% I would not buy a product from a company that charges a premium and can’t even keep a roof from leaking ... this isn’t a wear and tear item / this is a design / material flaw ... and you’re right it is a risk and I don’t need to risk over 70k I’m worrying if a roof will leak after two years lol that was easy ...

The way I see it I made the mistake of buying the nicest house on the block / I’ve never had a roof leak on an Audi/Mercedes or hell even Nissan ...

I guess I’m kidding myself for not expecting water damage on a very expensive / new truck lol

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
100% I would not buy a product from a company that charges a premium and can’t even keep a roof from leaking ... this isn’t a wear and tear item / this is a design / material flaw ... and you’re right it is a risk and I don’t need to risk over 70k I’m worrying if a roof will leak after two years lol that was easy ...

The way I see it I made the mistake of buying the nicest house on the block / I’ve never had a roof leak on an Audi/Mercedes or hell even Nissan ...

I guess I’m kidding myself for not expecting water damage on a very expensive / new truck lol
No, you’re kidding yourself if you think that the risk isn’t exactly the same on the other brands, and shifting to something else will mitigate that risk. All automotive ownership comes with a risk, and “sticking it to the man” and buying something else doesn’t solve the issue at hand, which is that you came up on the short end of luck when it comes to a vehicle issue. The cost of the vehicle has no bearing on the risk of a mechanical issue. You’re 6,000 miles outside of the warranty period and expecting them to fix it “or else,” which is a pretty self-entitled attitude to have towards the situation. The unfortunate fact of the situation is that you don’t have a right to have the issue fixed for free, not to put too fine a point on it. I’m not against you, just playing devil’s advocate here. Your dealer and/or FCA may step up and help you. Then again, they’re not contractually obligated to, and you don’t really have a right to be upset with them in the event that they don’t.

Reactions: JB1
OP
OP
LHMegaCummins

LHMegaCummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
No, you’re kidding yourself if you think that the risk isn’t exactly the same on the other brands, and shifting to something else will mitigate that risk. All automotive ownership comes with a risk, and “sticking it to the man” and buying something else doesn’t solve the issue at hand, which is that you came up on the short end of luck when it comes to a vehicle issue. The cost of the vehicle has no bearing on the risk of a mechanical issue. You’re 6,000 miles outside of the warranty period and expecting them to fix it “or else,” which is a pretty self-entitled attitude to have towards the situation. The unfortunate fact of the situation is that you don’t have a right to have the issue fixed for free, not to put too fine a point on it. I’m not against you, just playing devil’s advocate here. Your dealer and/or FCA may step up and help you. Then again, they’re not contractually obligated to, and you don’t really have a right to be upset with them in the event that they don’t.

I understand and agree with most of what you’re saying, however I disagree with the statement I have no right to be upset ... the value has a direct correlation to my expectation ( not that it changes the principle of a warranty ) but if I bought a $15k car and this happened I would say well I get what I paid for ... at this price point water should not be leaking into the cab through a clearance light ! And for that I’m extremely upset ! I don’t think it is self entitled at all to expect a company to stand behind a product ... if it was 10 years old or this was an issue I caused by driving it I would understand ... this was a “matter of time issue “ and had no bearing on the miles driven ...

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thank You !
Do you know what the DJ is in reference to?

DJ just means 2500. You need to fall under the built dates listed.

"NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or after April 01, 2017 (MDH 0401XX) or on or
before **October 20, 2017 (MDH 1020XX)** equipped with Clearance Lamps "

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I don’t think it is self entitled at all to expect a company to stand behind a product ... ...
They did...for 36,000 miles, which is the industry standard *shrug* Was your expectation that the vehicle would be completely issue-free indefinitely simply because it was expensive? And it is expensive relative to the market due to its size and complex features. It has nothing to do with the quality/lack thereof of the build or components. Again, not against you, just explaining the other side.

OP
OP
LHMegaCummins

LHMegaCummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins

"NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or after April 01, 2017 (MDH 0401XX) or on or

Thank you ! I really appreciate it

OP
OP
LHMegaCummins

LHMegaCummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
They did...for 36,000 miles, which is the industry standard *shrug* Was your expectation that the vehicle would be completely issue-free indefinitely simply because it was expensive? And it is expensive relative to the market due to its size and complex features. It has nothing to do with the quality/lack thereof of the build or components. Again, not against you, just explaining the other side.

I think my expectation was that I wouldn’t have water stains on my headliner after having the truck for 25 months lol

OP
OP
LHMegaCummins

LHMegaCummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins

O ok I think my truck qualifies ...
According to the door sticker it is
MDH 06062X

??

OP
OP
LHMegaCummins

LHMegaCummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins

Thank you again it looks like my build date was June or 2017, within that time frame ... so what do I do call a dealership and inform them of this bulletin?

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thank you again it looks like my build date was June or 2017, within that time frame ... so what do I do call a dealership and inform them of this bulletin?

Haven't had to do it on mine but I would start by calling them and telling them the issue, then saying you you found a bulletin on it and see what they have to say. I found a link to print it out, maybe take a copy with you?

https://testing-public.carmd.com/Tsb/Download/126661/00000000c0f091cd

I did notice on this official copy (I assume it is?) it does say this. Not sure what that means though.

"ALL REPAIRS ARE REIMBURSABLE WITHIN THE PROVISIONS OF WARRANTY"

Going to have to contact the dealer and see what they say

OP
OP
LHMegaCummins

LHMegaCummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Haven't had to do it on mine but I would start by calling them and telling them the issue, then saying you you found a bulletin on it and see what they have to say. I found a link to print it out, maybe take a copy with you?

https://testing-public.carmd.com/Tsb/Download/126661/00000000c0f091cd

I did notice on this official copy (I assume it is?) it does say this. Not sure what that means though.

"ALL REPAIRS ARE REIMBURSABLE WITHIN THE PROVISIONS OF WARRANTY"

Going to have to contact the dealer and see what they say

Copy that thank you

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L

Nissan, Lexus, and the other brands you mentioned DON'T have clearance lamps. So really the jokes on you

Blue Mule