Leaking Gas Tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James Deal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I searched the forum, but didn’t find any posts related to my issue. Links would be greatly appreciated!

Bought my 2014 Express two months ago, 5.7 with 71K miles. Friday morning on my way to work the money light illuminated with a ping. Called the stealer I bought it from and made an appointment with service for Saturday afternoon. Got home from work and pulled the OBD code, P0455, evap leak (large). Dropped the truck off Saturday morning, service advisor calls later in the afternoon and informs me the fill neck on the gas tank is broken causing the evap system leak, gas is leaking out and I need a new tank. My lemon law warranty runs out this Wednesday, so I lucked out and the stealer has to cover the tank replacement.

I’m wondering if this is a known problem or if anyone else has experienced this issue? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
That's one hell of a rare thing in my experience (I'd never come across it)...

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I haven't heard of this one on a later model Ram. It's much more common to have the level sensor fail on the fuel pump sending unit. Given the tank and sending unit needs to come out, I'd pay extra to have the level sensor replaced during this repair.

OP
OP
J

James Deal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't heard of this one on a later model Ram. It's much more common to have the level sensor fail on the fuel pump sending unit. Given the tank and sending unit needs to come out, I'd pay extra to have the level sensor replaced during this repair.

Good call! Going to have them replace the entire fuel pump assembly, and the tank straps.

RAM_Larry_15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just took in my 2015 Ram 1500 5.7 yesterday because of "fuel sensor fail" + check engine light. The gas gauge reads the big E all the time now. They will charge me $850 to pull the tank and replace the sensor/sending unit. Seems a bit much for that...

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
"A bit much" is an understatement. I'd check out another shop
Jay

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Just took in my 2015 Ram 1500 5.7 yesterday because of "fuel sensor fail" + check engine light. The gas gauge reads the big E all the time now. They will charge me $850 to pull the tank and replace the sensor/sending unit. Seems a bit much for that...

That's a lot, but if they're replacing the whole FSC instead of just the level sensor (which can be replaced by itself), a new OEM FSC is probably $400-500 I'm guessing? Then labor at $80-100/hr, tax, shop supplies, etc.

Problem is, replacements have the same junk fuel level sensor, so in 4yrs, you get to do it again.

RAM_Larry_15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update: Told the dealer to stop all work prior to them pulling the tank, thank goodness. Since the warranty was expired, I decided to take my Ram into a local ASE mechanic. He was able to pull the tank, replace the sending unit (only), cleared the engine code, road test it and now the gauge works fine ($193 for parts, $275 for labor). He told me he had done the same repair on a 2014 Ram 1500 a few days before mine. Wondering if there's a trend developing...? I would hope Dodge corporate folks issue a recall on these defective units. Thanks for your responses gents!

OP
OP
J

James Deal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update: Told the dealer to stop all work prior to them pulling the tank, thank goodness. Since the warranty was expired, I decided to take my Ram into a local ASE mechanic. He was able to pull the tank, replace the sending unit (only), cleared the engine code, road test it and now the gauge works fine ($193 for parts, $275 for labor). He told me he had done the same repair on a 2014 Ram 1500 a few days before mine. Wondering if there's a trend developing...? I would hope Dodge corporate folks issue a recall on these defective units. Thanks for your responses gents!

From what I gather it’s a known problem. When my tank was replaced in May and under the State used vehicle warranty I had the stealer replace the unit, but had to pay their highway robbery price for the part.