Lease return $687 bill!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
IMO this is not about whether or not leasing is good or bad. The truth is, it does work for some people. Ive leased several vehicles in the past. it worked for my situation at the time. A couple times i owed money at turn in (mileage overage and turn in fee). I knew this going in and at return what i was expected to pay. I take care of my vehicles so i never owed for damage.

I read the OP as not knowing how leasing works and how he felt mislead by a salesman. One bad leasing example does not mean leases are bad. Its a contract. just like any other contract, know what you are signing. Dont expect sympathy from people because you didnt read the contract you signed. You owe money, pay it and learn your lesson and move on.

88ROOK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
IMO this is not about whether or not leasing is good or bad. The truth is, it does work for some people. Ive leased several vehicles in the past. it worked for my situation at the time. A couple times i owed money at turn in (mileage overage and turn in fee). I knew this going in and at return what i was expected to pay. I take care of my vehicles so i never owed for damage.

I read the OP as not knowing how leasing works and how he felt mislead by a salesman. One bad leasing example does not mean leases are bad. Its a contract. just like any other contract, know what you are signing. Dont expect sympathy from people because you didnt read the contract you signed. You owe money, pay it and learn your lesson and move on.

get ready for the repercussions cause the snowflakes cant handle the truth...IJS

hardEight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, just no need to be a **** about it.

I'm on a lease. With an accident, I'm interested how my turn in event is gonna go.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yeah, just no need to be a **** about it.

I'm on a lease. With an accident, I'm interested how my turn in event is gonna go.

I'm curious as well. Anything in your contract about accidents.

OP
OP
Pezrock

Pezrock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
get ready for the repercussions cause the snowflakes cant handle the truth...IJS
He's baaaack everyone, the internet tough guy. Chiming in again and reminding us that there are snowflakes on here. Lets see how long he keeps this up.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
My personal opinion here; but I've always held that leases are a rip offs. Leases are gamed so the dealership has all the rights and the you have none.
When I was young (and poor) and needed a good vehicle but my job didn't pay that much I looked into a lease on a 2wd base model Toyota pickup.
99/month. I could afford that. Mind you this was back in the mid 90s. They had the same truck on the lot for sale new for $10k. So I walk in and sit down at the salesman's desk and tell him I'm interested in the lease deal that was advertised. He hands me a agreement to "sign" and exits the office to run my credit. I wasn't about to sign anything until I read it. The terms in the lease were not only unfair but almost criminal. I wondered if the mob ran the dealership. The real kick in the teeth was the buy out option. At the end of the lease you could buy the truck for 12K. At which point it was a 2 year old truck that was selling NEW for 10K.
The salesman came back into the office having completed the credit check and with a big grin on his face thinking he has hooked a big fish. That was until he saw the look in my eye (which was kill him and rid the world of evil)
"does.......Does everything look OK to you?" He stammer
I threw the paperwork on this desk and said "I'm not interested in your rip off scheme" and walked out.

Okay...
As with an outright Purchase, when a person leases a vehicle, their greatest concern is Monthly Payment.
However, with a Lease, it is far easier to hide the true purchase price of the vehicle, vs and outright purchase.

Leaseing will allow one to drive a much nicer, higher priced vehicle than outright purchase, due to the fact that the vehicle is only being kept for a specific amount of time, miles, etc. At the end of the Lease, there is an agreed upon residual price, which is still left on the Lease.

In other words, Lease is Rent. You do not Own. Unlike at the end of an outright Purchase and payment plan through a finacial institution, you do not own anything.
BUT< since the Lease allows the vehicle to have a significant Residual , left at teh end of the lease, then the payments for the lease can be quite a bit less than an outright purhcase.

Residuals tend to set somewhere belw the point that this vehcile, after a set amoutn of time and miles, will bring at an whoelsale auto auction.
Tend to be,
Lie with everything, no one has a crystal ball and past performance is no guaruntee for future performance,
Some vehciles have held their value far better than the Lease residuals, in which case it makes sense for the Leasee to actually buy the vehcile and re-sell it, on his own.
However, there are times that the leased vehcile does not holds its value, nearly so well, and it is best to walk away from teh lease as teh residual is far higher than the cars true actual cash value.

In All instances, with a lease, someone else must inspect the car, upon return or lease end, and determine if there is any damages which must be assessed, beyond normal wear and tear, and that amount must be paid by the orignal Leasee.

That alone is the biggest reason to never get a lease.

the 2nd biggest reason to never get a lease is because a Professional salesmen is already extremely adept at masking or hiding the true sales price, fo teh vehicle, due to the fact that selling his all he does, day in and day out. whiel most people only buy a set number of cars, their entires lives.
Leasing far more readily allows that price to be hidden so it can be infalted far beyond what and actual retail purchase would be.

again, the salesman is seelling the car. the dealership is selling the car, you are buying the car but paying less, each month becasuse you do nto own and, at the end, they get to decide if owe more money.

IRSMart, 88Rook
Take a Chill Pill.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
I'm curious as well. Anything in your contract about accidents.

Yep, ye another reason Leases are horrible.

That whole normal wear adn tear thing.
When a person leases, they agree to pay so much, every month, for a speicifc set of time. they also agree to only drive so many mliles, which they pay for, up front and over time.
If the vehicle is wrecked, they must repair or replace the vehicle or pay the difference, in value, for the vehicle, at teh time of its return, from what a normal wear adn tear vehicle would yield. Lease the truck drive it of the carlot, get totalled, you still owe those payments, each and ever month, until the lease is over and THEN, you still oewe teh residual., EIther reutrn the truck, in basically flawless and prefect condition, outside of niormal wear adn tear, which is both subjective and arbitrative, ro pay teh full residual value of the truck.

Only in certain cases does it make any fiscal sens to lease adn rarely for private individuals.

this has been hashed over , in this and other forums, forever.
Bottom line, it is damn hard, to fool everyone, everytime, hence the small number of Leases, bs outright purhcases.
Liek renting a house vs buying with the addition of being on the hook for the full value of the house, at the end of your rental period, as determined by the same folks who are going to keep the house you are elaving behind, they get to say how much more you owe them.

what is normal wear and tear anyway?

Love that vague ****.

but, back to oirignal question,

You are Respncible for that vehicle in cqse of accident.

, that is teh entire reason GAP insurance became a THing. AMericans, wanting far more vehicle than they can truly afford, started LEasing them, A few got inton wrecks and got bite, hard, and a new insurance industry was born to keep those same people into even fancier cars, without teh cash to actually buy them.
No different than those folks who buy a house, far more than they can afford, on I will pay onlh the interest and principle loans, counting on the homes value to increase over tim3e and they walk away with hardly any capital, at teh time of sale.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

When a person leases, they agree to pay so much, every month, for a speicifc set of time. they also agree to only drive so many mliles, which they pay for, up front and over time.
If the vehicle is wrecked, they must repair or replace the vehicle or pay the difference, in value, for the vehicle, at teh time of its return, from what a normal wear adn tear vehicle would yield. Lease the truck drive it of the carlot, get totalled, you still owe those payments, each and ever month, until the lease is over and THEN, you still oewe teh residual., EIther reutrn the truck, in basically flawless and prefect condition, outside of niormal wear adn tear, which is both subjective and arbitrative, ro pay teh full residual value of the truck.

Only in certain cases does it make any fiscal sens to lease adn rarely for private individuals.

Bottom line, it is damn hard, to fool everyone, everytime, hence the small number of Leases, bs outright purhcases.
Liek renting a house vs buying with the addition of being on the hook for the full value of the house, at the end of your rental period, as determined by the same folks who are going to keep the house you are elaving behind, they get to say how much more you owe them.

Love that vague ****.

, that is teh entire reason GAP insurance became a THing. AMericans, wanting far more vehicle than they can truly afford, started LEasing them, A few got inton wrecks and got bite, hard, and a new insurance industry was born to keep those same people into even fancier cars, without teh cash to actually buy them.
No different than those folks who buy a house, far more than they can afford, on I will pay onlh the interest and principle loans, counting on the homes value to increase over tim3e and they walk away with hardly any capital, at teh time of sale.

What happens when insurance red the damage and the vehicle is turned on at end of lease ?

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Okay...
As with an outright Purchase, when a person leases a vehicle, their greatest concern is Monthly Payment.

If monthly payment is your greatest concern, you're screwing yourself out of the gate. You are correct, a lot of people do. A lot of people are living paycheck to paycheck and floating a negative net worth along, as well. Cash flow is important to short term financial health, but especially with a purchase you should be looking at total costs for long term financial health.

I leased my wife's last car because there were incentives to do so that made it cheaper to lease for 12 months then buy out the lease early then to just write a check for the car that day. It saved me over $1k in purchase price vs just paying cash, allowed me to continue to earn a return on the money I was going to use to pay for the car, and reduced my risk a bit for that first year of ownership.

the 2nd biggest reason to never get a lease is because a Professional salesmen is already extremely adept at masking or hiding the true sales price, fo teh vehicle, due to the fact that selling his all he does, day in and day out.

Not because he does it all day, but because most people lack basic financial literacy, most Americans suck at basic math, and have an addiction to short term gains. Which leads to the monthly price concern you mentioned above.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here is a story,I purchased a Ram Big Horn all cash .When I was home 5 days later washing the truck found a large bump in the A pillar on the passenger side of the truck. So I was like what Hell opened the hood and found masking tape on the inside lip of the fenders and the headlights out of wack,and the bumper was down on the passenger side a little.Called the dealer and made a appointment to have this all looked at. Turns out a brand new truck from the factory had been in a bad accident on the dealers property and they repaired it. Sold it to me as if it was fine. So they are crooks and made them give me a brand new truck again. So it proves don't trust no car dealers they are out to make a dollar from you what ever it takes. The dealer was in New Jersey, Flemington Ram

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
a lease can be negotiated just like a purchase. If you buy or lease at the price they choose you are already losing. The interest rate (money factor) is negotiable. The dealer may try to screw you and bump it up, but you can research to see what you should be paying. You can pay more miles than advertised. All the numbers are in the contract. If you take care of your vehicle and dont scratch it or dent it up, you will be fine. Again, know the contract you are signing. Know what the numbers are and what they mean. Know your bargaining power (how is your credit, compare dealers etc). Certain brands hold more value than others. I have made money of lease end purchase. I have turned in leases with mile overages and had them waived. all situations are different. You know before you sign what you can buy it for after the lease. this cannot change.

OP
OP
Pezrock

Pezrock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Love that vague ****.

If you total a leased car and have insurance, does the insurance not cover the cost of the lease?

88ROOK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here is a story,I purchased a Ram Big Horn all cash .When I was home 5 days later washing the truck found a large bump in the A pillar on the passenger side of the truck. So I was like what Hell opened the hood and found masking tape on the inside lip of the fenders and the headlights out of wack,and the bumper was down on the passenger side a little.Called the dealer and made a appointment to have this all looked at. Turns out a brand new truck from the factory had been in a bad accident on the dealers property and they repaired it. Sold it to me as if it was fine. So they are crooks and made them give me a brand new truck again. So it proves don't trust no car dealers they are out to make a dollar from you what ever it takes. The dealer was in New Jersey, Flemington Ram

you would be suprised at actually how many vehicles end up in the repair hole for various reasons, engine pulls, dented fenders and quarters, front facia. Its endless

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
If you total a leased car and have insurance, does the insurance not cover the cost of the lease?

Depends on which insurance policy you are talking about.

Everyda, run of the mill insurance we all got, no. That simply repairs or replaces ( or pays cash in lui of reaplacement) and teh cash is whatever teh value of teh vehicle is, in todays market, for your area and what you two can agree. IF not agreement, then Arbitrator ro court systems.

GAP Insurance is just that. It pays the GAP between what the actual cash value of teh vehicle, versus the amount left due on the vehicle.

WIth a lease, where you agree to pay XXXX for *** number of months, than provide a vehicle, at the end of that time, to the dealer with normal wer and tear,. In the case of a totaled vehicle, there isnothing to turn end, at lease end, so you become responcibille for full residual avalue, as well as , all those monthly payments up to lease end.

hence the GAP.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
a lease can be negotiated just like a purchase. If you buy or lease at the price they choose you are already losing. The interest rate (money factor) is negotiable. The dealer may try to screw you and bump it up, but you can research to see what you should be paying. You can pay more miles than advertised. All the numbers are in the contract. If you take care of your vehicle and dont scratch it or dent it up, you will be fine. Again, know the contract you are signing. Know what the numbers are and what they mean. Know your bargaining power (how is your credit, compare dealers etc). Certain brands hold more value than others. I have made money of lease end purchase. I have turned in leases with mile overages and had them waived. all situations are different. You know before you sign what you can buy it for after the lease. this cannot change.

agreed.
However, ti is far more confusing, for teh average person, than a straight out right purchase. simply too many variables which much be negtoitated to keep track off. Mileage, Selling price, Money Factor, resiidual, monthly payments, etc.

keeping it all square, without taking in the shorts, is rather hard, for most.

hell, just buying a car is an experience for most. now we add in a bunch of unfamiliar terms and it gets even harder.

I do think Leasing has a prupose and is a wise choice, for some, not most.

Reason leasing got so popular was in the 1980's, dealerships were trying to find a new way to increase profti margins, due to the average consumer getting so savvy to their game.
Lots of new stuff came out, 4 Square negotiating techniques and many other things. Al designed to be new and throw the consumer off his game.

Leasing was just was just one aspect and one that appealed to consumers wishing to buy more, for less and live beyond their Means..
Where have I heard that before?
Live beyond one's means?

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
You get a new truck and you get in an accident. The frame gets bent. They straighten the frame as best as they can but when you drive it you can tell it just doesn't track quite like it should.

When you lease you turn that truck in at the end of the lease because you don't own it. You're done with the truck with the bent frame.

When you buy it, you own it. You have a truck with a bent frame that you're not happy with, but it's yours!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You get a new truck and you get in an accident. The frame gets bent. They straighten the frame as best as they can but when you drive it you can tell it just doesn't track quite like it should.

When you lease you turn that truck in at the end of the lease because you don't own it. You're done with the truck with the bent frame.

When you buy it, you own it. You have a truck with a bent frame that you're not happy with, but it's yours!

Does the lease company not know the truck has a bent frame?

Judging how they will charge for every little ding in the body, surely they would charge for a not perfect frame, no?

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
Does the lease company not know the truck has a bent frame?

Judging how they will charge for every little ding in the body, surely they would charge for a not perfect frame, no?

They are weird with turn ins. They really care about cosmetics (scratches and dings or dents), mileage and tires to a degree. I do know that they don't care about brakes. I returned my last ram lease needing brakes and rotors. Dealer told me they don't care about that. Never owed a penny. I would guess that most would not notice. I don't think the lease inspector even drives the car.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in

Adressing the first par. if a frame is bent, it can be repaired as if it never happened. Not all that hard. can even be cut, and have new welded in.
Frame machines and the numbers involved do not lie. Numbers are simply numbers. if the numbers are right, the frame is right. that treuck was made by Man and can repaired to perfection, by Man, assuming he knows his stuff. and therein liee the Rub.

If th truck does nto feel right, after a frame repair, it was either not repaiered properly or its in the Head.

Yes, at teh end of the Lease, you can return and walk away, AFTER PAYING WHATEVER SOMEONE ELSE DETERMINES THAT YOU STILL OWE.
There is simply no way around that last. someone else gets to have final say on how much, if anything, you pay before you walk away from your vehicle (Rental)Lease.

When I buy, I do own it. I can also sell it and have that cash because it is mine. No one else gets to say how much more I owe.

again, there times when leasign makes sense. One person in this tread stated a 12 month lease saved him $1K on a truck he was going to buy anyway. Just as there are times when it makes sense to finance, instead of paying cash. However, as I mentioned earlier, just as teh numbers of folks who can pay cash, in full, are very few in number, so to are teh number of folks for whom leasing makes sound fiscal sense.