LED Swap - List of bulbs/sizes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

THRobinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Been looking for a list of bulbs needed for swapping to LED... I find lots of examples of before/after but no details of what was needed.

I went to superbrightleds as mentioned by many of the people who did the swap, but the site doesn't list the cluster/dash bulbs. It does list a luggage compartment bulb though... not sure why, maybe it means the 3rd brake light top of the cab?

They do have the right bulbs in their instrument cluster section, but online all I know is that the base is a "B", they have numerous "B" bulbs listed of varying sizes though so not sure which. Regardless which I click, it says may not fit my vehicle. Just thinking not in the database maybe?

Does anyone have a list of which bulbs/sizes are needed and how many of each?

I have a 2003 Quad Cab... instrument panel had a few dead bulbs, ceiling light as well. also some weird lighting on the dash for climate control where goes from yellow to green. I'm thinking maybe the blue rubber sleeve came off one of the bulbs?

I'd like to redo all dash lights to blue so matches the new radio. Then neutral/natural white for everything else probably, maybe warm... last car I had I did the cold blue interior lights and although bright, looked a bit odd.

OP
OP
THRobinson

THRobinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Well, so far I've found that the cluster itself needs 11 x B8 bulbs (B8-HP-CAR at superbrightleds). Quite a few comments about the bulbs from Dodge Ram drivers. But 3 versions of the B8 and not sure which. :S

Still looking for info on the bulbs for the 4x4, climate, etc...

Also... I want a blue dash, but I don't like when people use all blue bulbs because then the red parts on the cluster... anyone try using a mix of bulbs? blue for the majority and white for the needles?

Anyways... if anyone know what else I need, let me know... down to figuring out type and number of bulbs for the centre console.

Last edited:

mwclarksr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L - 287cid
From what I can find, look for T5 type of Wedge LEDs. I'm going to buy a pack of 20 off of eBay later this week. When I get them I will report back on my findings.

OP
OP
THRobinson

THRobinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
On the superbrightleds sight, under those B8 bulbs, in the customer comments, quite a few comments are from people who list a 2002, 2003 Dodge... not sure maybe the B8 is the wedge and the holder together? vs keeping the old holder and replacing just the bulb (wedge)?

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I posted this info in an earlier thread.

For the climate control, you need 3 NEO5 bulbs: https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...ulb-high-power-instrument-panel-led/221/7252/

Pretty sure the overhead console uses NEO4 bulbs. I forget how many it needs but it's at least 2.

For the dash on your 2005, you need 11 B8.5D bulbs: https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...d-bulb-smd-instrument-panel-led-car/223/7254/

The headlight switch needs to be soldered out/in to replace it. Still not clear as to which bulb that one takes but it looks like a T1 5mm LED bulb: https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...egree-viewing-angle-800-millilumens/343/1290/

From what I have gathered on all the threads that are out there on this, Dodge uses a blue film (roscolux?) in the various locations and the incandescent stock bulbs are yellow which in turn gives the green lighting. You might be ok going with white bulbs but the blue should work as well, just making it a darker blue I think.

OP
OP
THRobinson

THRobinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I read a thread that talked about bulb swapping and what threw me was that it said that the 2002-03 had either different bulbs or number of bulbs in the gauge cluster, which is why I was wondering if anyone had 2003 Dodge specific info. Even on superbrightleds, the interior lights, for most it shows 2-3 options and says pick which one your vehicle has so, seems to vary from year-to-year a bit. But I did see a customer review on the superbrightleds that said he used 11 B8's... but not which ones (B8.5, B8.3, etc)

My lights behind the climate control, I suspect one is missing that blue film... dial goes from an orange-yellow to green-blue... looks pretty awful. Likely fell out or something when the guy was swapping back the old factory radio before selling.

I read that behind the gauges (speedo/fuel/etc) the blue film is on the back of the dials already.

I figured maybe neutral white in the gauge cluster, and blue for the centre console. May work out to being close to the same blue overall? For the price... I may buy 11 blue and 11 white for the gauges, and however many I need for the centre console, but all blue.

I order my new deck for the truck this week, so not this weekend but next I'll have the dash opened up. Will have a look and see.

mwclarksr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L - 287cid
From what I had understood on the lights I found on eBay, the T5 are the B8s. Or so it claims. From this forum, supposedly 11 Instrument Cluster lights and I know there are 3 for the HVAC. @THRobinson Your color is blue? Mine is green, so is my Uncle's 04 2500.

OP
OP
THRobinson

THRobinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Well, from what I've read, and what my Impala had... There is a blue layer on the gauge. The reason it's sorta green looking is because the incandescent bulbs give off a warm/yellow light. Yellow light plus blue plastic equals green.

From what I've seen on youtube and photos, if you use a neutral white led the gauge will be medium blue, use a blue led and its almost cobalt blue.

Trick i think is making the gauge and centre console match. Centre console has blue sleeves on the bulbs, so white leds will be white... Blue will probably be darker than the gauge if it has white leds, and not as dar if you put blue in the gauges...

Kinda need neutral white in the gauge and medium blue for the console which they dont sell.

mwclarksr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L - 287cid
My HVAC are plain and no sleeves on the bulbs. There are, what I call, plastic light runners, that carry the light to the areas (And I do see a little color section) and the dials themselves do have a sliver of tinted plastic as indicators when lights are on. This Saturday, I'll take the HVAC apart and snap pictures.

As for SuperBrightLEDS, I am going to get the Headlight LED Kit, but everything else is too expensive, which I why I shop eBay. 20 pc. T5 Wedge LEDs $6.89, Free Shipping.

OP
OP
THRobinson

THRobinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
EBay's a gamble for those.. I did all the interior lights in my Impala with ebay bulbs the same price, and within months all died. Bought more off ebay, the same price different seller, lasted for years.

Cheap bulbs are as good as pricier ones, just gotta be lucky to get ones made well.

I think my first batch had cheaper solder... Soon as winter came they just died.

OP
OP
THRobinson

THRobinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Dang, those plate lights are super bright leds... they didn't lie. :D

Neutral white is the way to go, I did the slightly colder ones on my last car and looked almost grey... was like being in an office building with cheap florescents.

mwclarksr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L - 287cid
Dang, those plate lights are super bright leds... they didn't lie. :D

Neutral white is the way to go, I did the slightly colder ones on my last car and looked almost grey... was like being in an office building with cheap florescents.

Actually, they are the ones from eBay. Even the interior lights are from eBay.

mwclarksr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L - 287cid
Sorry, that is a new navigation we just added and we are still working on it. Note the bulb is quite smaller than in the picture. Actually, it's the smallest there is. Do you know how many the cluster takes?

View attachment 127953

These are not the type of bulbs 3rd gen and newer Rams uses.

The following pictures are for the Instrument Cluster and for the Driving Light indicator on the Headlight Switch:

View media item 25575View media item 25576View media item 25578View media item 25579

mwclarksr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L - 287cid
It’s missing the bases which will turn it from a 74 bulb to a pc74 etc. We would brake the bulbs out of the bases and install the t5 that I showed earlier. I don’t think it’s hard to get those bases. I do know I have the bigger ones in stock. Thanks a lot for the pictures. I will get back to you to confirm I can get the smaller bases. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, the T5 base dose not fit in the cluster, it's a tad too large. That T5 base only works in the HVAC. So IDK what type of wedge base both of the ones I posted are

mwclarksr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L - 287cid
The first 2 pictures is the Instrument Cluster wedge bulb at different angles (there are a total of 11 bulbs for this). Second 2 pictures is Driving Light wedge bulb from the Headlight Switch & there is only 1 needed for this one. And yes, 3 different type of wedges are needed. Each wedge is a different size. I already know that the T5 is for the HVAC only, the other 2 I have no clue on what they work out to be. Could be T10 for Instrument Cluster or T4. I have yet to see anything that resembles the Headlight Switch wedge.

OP
OP
THRobinson

THRobinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
On the centre console, where the button/knob is for the 4x4 and seat warmers... does that light up?

Very rare I drive at night, since middle-of-nowhere so nowhere to drive to. :)

Anyways, got my stereo installed, and at night was playing with settings and noticed that the knob for the 4x4 lights up, nothing else does in that section, except the LED that comes on when the 4x4 switched or seats turned on. Otherwise no backlight at all. Can't recall if was one before or not, in case I loosened a wired when doing the stereo install.

Also, the 3 buttons (AC/Defrost/Recirculate) light up an LED when pressed, but when off, totally dark at night, can't see them at all.

That normal?