Let it run or turn it off?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Units

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Bighorn
Engine
6.7l Cummins
Have had my 2023 6.7l for 2 weeks. Curious as to what others are doing with their engines while fueling up, I see folks all the time gassing up and leaving their engine running. I know these engines use a grid heater and do not use glow plugs, does that even matter in regards to starting the truck? Maybe that’s an old school train of thought in regards to diesels. I also see where the user manual says to limit excessive idle time. The one time I’ve gassed up so far I just let it run. What does everyone else do while gassing up?

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I shut down. Usually I am running inside for a drink or snack. The grid heater only runs when the engine cold so not really a consideration at a fuel stop. If you don’t do a lot of highway driving I would shut down. Stop and go as well a lots of idling can lead to emissions system issues.

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Idling 5-10 minutes is fine longer than that turn it off. Unlike a gasser diesel cool off while idling, if your working the engine like when towing/hauling it's a practice to let the engine idle to cool for a few minutes before turning off. There's not as much worry about cooking turbo bearings as they're liquid cooled.
As mentioned above having a grid heater(or glow plugs) has no bearing on letting the engine idle.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If I'm not going inside I let it run. In the 5-6 minutes that it takes to fill up it isn't going to affect anything by that much.

The grid heater is a non-issue.

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Diesel doesn’t ignite like gas. Pretty sure you’d be alright.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
There is no reason to shut it down.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It's illegal and dangerous to leave your vehicle running when fueling. If I need to cool down the motor before shutting off, I do that in a parking lot, not at the pump.
Someone may need to tell all the truckers at the big pumps this.... I can't name a time where I've been at the trucker fuel islands without at least 2-3 diesels running while fueling.

It might be illegal (possibly due to a fire code) in some areas, but it is not illegal everywhere. I've seen a few signs at the GAS pumps mentioning to shut off your engine but I've not seen those signs at the diesel pumps.