Level/lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bbaxley01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
guys, this is my first post. Been lurking for a couple of years. Owned F150 for 10years, bought my Ram 2 years ago just for something different and love it. 2015 Granite Crystal Express 4wd 5.7.

So pardon me here as I have read most of the 2000 Bilstein threads but I still have questions. I want to level my truck with a couple of catches. I know I am doing Bilsteins in the front. There is currently exactly 2 inch if rake today. Here is my thought as I am getting ready to buy and be towing a boat. So can I run my bilsteins at 2.8, and lift the rear 1 inch to maintain a very slight rake, that could even out when towing the boat. Boat is a skiff, roughly 2500#. If that would work, what is the best way to lift the rear, bilsteins or a stiffer spring since I am hauling? That is my real question. Also anything else to be done to the front running at 2.8?

Thank you in advance for any help at all.

GRN69CHV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tend to use my truck to haul regularly, 500-1000# in the bed is typical, have a 2900# gross single axle trailer that gets towed regularly also. MY plan is 1.5" front end lift with a 3/4" rear spacer. I think setting the Bilsteins at 2.8" will set the truck nose high (or it will appear that way). Consensus seems to be 2.1" front with a 1" rear spacer maintains the ride and keeps it from dragging the rear when carrying a light load.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
guys, this is my first post. Been lurking for a couple of years. Owned F150 for 10years, bought my Ram 2 years ago just for something different and love it. 2015 Granite Crystal Express 4wd 5.7.

So pardon me here as I have read most of the 2000 Bilstein threads but I still have questions. I want to level my truck with a couple of catches. I know I am doing Bilsteins in the front. There is currently exactly 2 inch if rake today. Here is my thought as I am getting ready to buy and be towing a boat. So can I run my bilsteins at 2.8, and lift the rear 1 inch to maintain a very slight rake, that could even out when towing the boat. Boat is a skiff, roughly 2500#. If that would work, what is the best way to lift the rear, bilsteins or a stiffer spring since I am hauling? That is my real question. Also anything else to be done to the front running at 2.8?

Welcome, it may be more beneficial for you to look into the eibach kit. Adjustable struts in the front and new coil springs in the rear. We have a guy on here @Nick@GotExhaust that can set you up with parts. He’s a parts expert and will make sure you get what you need. Pretty much no one is touching his prices either

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

To lift the rear you either need new springs or a spacer. Bilsteins (the shocks) are not gonna lift it at all, as they are just shocks (unlike the front struts).

OP
OP
B

bbaxley01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thanks for the replies. Given that the weight of the boat is less than half of the towing capacity, I would assume a stiffer or lift spring would not be much benefit. I do not haul anything else of substantial weight regularly. Sounds like the spacer is the way to go.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Set the front at 2” and the truck will drive better with those struts on factory UCAs. The stock rear springs are not exactly known for their ability to carry weight They sag quickly with a little load let alone if you add heavy weight. you can add air bags (airlift 1000 for example) Or you can get better coil springs. I like Icons 1.5” coils cause I do more offroading so they’re longer than stock but can also carry more weight compared to stock. They’ll provide about 1” lift in the back and they have a soft 1st spring rate so they drive super nicely when non loaded. once loaded they’ll help your truck carry your 2500lbs boat with ease.

OP
OP
B

bbaxley01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I after reading your replies and several other post I measured again today and also looked at it where it would be lifted. My fronts are 36 7/8 on both sides, rear 39 on both sides. If I got to 2.1on the bilsteins, and use a 3/4 or 1 inch spacer in the back I would still have my desired rake at 1 inch or less. I figure I am safe to do that to start, and if I ever do decide to go to 2.8 on the shock, I can replace UCA’s at that time and replace then decide what to do on the rear. It may be just what I want on the first try. Will be getting done next week. I will post before and after.

Reactions: JB1

GRN69CHV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I after reading your replies and several other post I measured again today and also looked at it where it would be lifted. My fronts are 36 7/8 on both sides, rear 39 on both sides. If I got to 2.1on the bilsteins, and use a 3/4 or 1 inch spacer in the back I would still have my desired rake at 1 inch or less. I figure I am safe to do that to start, and if I ever do decide to go to 2.8 on the shock, I can replace UCA’s at that time and replace then decide what to do on the rear. It may be just what I want on the first try. Will be getting done next week. I will post before and after.

Measured mine again today, came in at 36.75 front, 39.25 rear ( I did replace my factory rear shocks couple weeks ago with Monroe Reflex, these definitely had higher compression pressures than stock units I took off, static height went up about 1/4". Hoping to do mine on Sunday, 1.5" front / .75" rear.

Flryder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Put them on there and see how it is with your boat and trailer on the back. It might not drop the rear as much as you think. Remember the tongue weight is a percentage of the total weight that you are towing and this is the weight that pushes the rear end down. You are pulling the entire weight of whatever you are trailering but you are only pushing down on the hitch with the tongue weight. Most recommend 10 - 15 percent of the trailer weight as tongue weight so in your case 250 to 375 pounds of tongue weight. For example, my RV trailer weighs about 3500 lbs and the tongue weight is listed as 460 lbs.

OP
OP
B

bbaxley01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Was about ready to purchase the Bil's and spacer, and ran across and Eibach thread. Now I am considering the Eibach Shocks on the lowest setting with the EIbach 2.75 lift springs, with a spacer in the back for now. What I cannot find is a consensus with the Eibach setup of a need to new UCA's. If not needed it makes that setup as economical as Bil's at 2.8 with UCA"s. Thoughts?

OP
OP
B

bbaxley01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, more questions. I have ordered the Eibach 2.75 lift springs and shocks that are supposed to ship this Friday. I haven't yet decided on what size spacer for the rear at this time, either 3/4 or 1" just to maintain a small rake. From what I can read some are getting 2" lift and some are getting 2.5 or more on the springs with the shock set on the lowest setting. I am going to have the shop initially put the shock on the 2nd to bottom notch and then look at the lift amount and my CV and BJ angles.

My questions are can I reliably expect 2.75 in lift from the shock on the lowest setting (That is all I really want)? Also none of the threads about this kit are definitive on new UCA's. Some actually state you do not need them. I am not going to replace them when I put the kit on initially, and will stay on the lowest setting if needed not to cause harm to my setup.

Are the UCA's warranted with this kit with under 3" of lift on the front?

GRN69CHV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Eibach is pretty reputable company, what lift do they say you will get with the springs? I just did mine, 1.5" F / .75" R. Static measurements before lift were 36.75-37 F / 39-39.25 R. After I got 38.5 F / 39.75 R (+/- depending on how level the ground is when measured and how hot the tires are). A 2" front end lift will make wheelwells about level but the truck will look nose high. 2.8" front end lift is going to make it look like it's sagging in the rear.

OP
OP
B

bbaxley01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Coils are supposed to provide 2.75 lift by themselves on bottom notch of the shock. Second notch is 3.5. If I get 2.75 to start with a 1” rear spacer I will be happy to start. Most that run these at that height do not replace the UCA due to it being a longer coil and not coil loading from what it have read.

If I went to 3.5 I would think I would need to replace the uca’s

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bbaxley01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Had my setup installed today. Eibach Pro Lift Front Kit and a 1.5 inch rear spacer. Took 10days from order to receive the parts directly from Eibach.

Before: front 37 rear 39
After: from 39.25-39.5 rear 40.5

Pictures below. I am beyond happy. Drives much differently, doesn’t react to bumps as hard and overall seems to ride much better from what I can tell. UCA and CV angles don’t Look to bad to me but I am not an expert on those.

911C5105-22F5-4C60-9BD6-5072ADA7E726.jpeg

46DD0979-CB51-49F8-B949-5420ACC3A266.jpeg

2724593B-5D07-4DB5-960D-D6BB8825F228.jpeg

C97D1561-B9CE-400A-887B-BA1F9415FBFC.jpeg

327A2215-B504-463F-8C49-FE79DC3B91CF.jpeg

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year