Lift Basics for 2nd gen 4x4 Rams

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I never had any problems with my brake lines at 5" lift at 7" yes. There are some tricks you can do to help make things work better, go DL a SJ install pdf for our year trucks and look at the little mods they get you to do for the front and rear lines, then just copy those ideas.

If you do want new longer lines I have to recommend Crown top grade lines in my op. Our trucks are not listed just contact them and they will make up whatever you need.

Note: If you live in a colder climate the nice colored covering will crack in cold weather, this does not affect the lines. I think they told me -17F was there limite.

Crown Performance: Stainless Steel Brake Lines - Braided Hoses for Cars, Trucks & SUV

Last edited:

Muddinginamopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I never had any problems with my brake lines at 5" lift at 7" yes. There are some tricks you can do to help make things work better, go DL a SJ install pdf for our year trucks and look at the little mods they get you to do for the front lines, then just copy that idea.

If you do want new longer lines I have to recommend Crown brake line. Our trucks are not listed just contact them and they will make up whatever you need.

Note: If you live in a colder climate the nice colored covering will crack in cold weather, this does not affect the lines. I think they told me -17F was there limite.

Crown Performance: Stainless Steel Brake Lines - Braided Hoses for Cars, Trucks & SUV

Okay, sweet. I'm skiing in Vermont right now, and I think the coldest I've seen overnight is -12. Lol so they should be alright haha. I'll take a look, thanks Merc.

Sent from my pathetically slow iPhone

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Not a problem, The reason I know about the covering is mine split and I contacted them in regards to it, so we must have got cold here at some point this winter. They split between the caliper and the control arm bracket, so I will just strip that area off and call it good.

zpaulis1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
+1 on the crown lines merc! Think mine where 160$ to my door front and rear.. Plenty of room to lift higher now

Diedrich'sDodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360 Magnum
Great info but I'm new to suspension upgrades and I recently bought a HBS 2.5" leveling kit and I'm not sure what upgrades to the rest of the suspension I need to do to prevent premature wear.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I never had any problems with my brake lines at 5" lift at 7" yes. There are some tricks you can do to help make things work better, go DL a SJ install pdf for our year trucks and look at the little mods they get you to do for the front and rear lines, then just copy those ideas.

If you do want new longer lines I have to recommend Crown top grade lines in my op. Our trucks are not listed just contact them and they will make up whatever you need.

You linked me these in the past, they look to be very high quality! They are what I am planning to use in my 7" lift!

Great info but I'm new to suspension upgrades and I recently bought a HBS 2.5" leveling kit and I'm not sure what upgrades to the rest of the suspension I need to do to prevent premature wear.

As long as you dont go above a 285 size tire you shouldnt need anything. Any taller you're gonna need new control arms and an adjustable track bar.

Diedrich'sDodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360 Magnum
As long as you dont go above a 285 size tire you shouldnt need anything. Any taller you're gonna need new control arms and an adjustable track bar.[/QUOTE]

Ok thanks

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
As long as you dont go above a 285 size tire you shouldnt need anything. Any taller you're gonna need new control arms and an adjustable track bar.

Ok thanks[/QUOTE]

Allow me to clarify, that didnt sound right was very tired when I posted that lol. Dont go over 2.5" of lift, not tire size haha.

97diesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9 4x4
Hey guys

New here. Im looking for some info for my 97 cummins 4x4 truck. 3.55 gears, 5 speed. The truck came with 315/75/16 tires. No lift or leveling kit. They are just too large for me, rubbing if I am turning into a store entry way or small curbs/driveway.

I'm looking to buy new shocks, and springs. What should I do? I've never owned or lifted a truck myself although I have all the tools at my father automotive shop (he does stock cargo vans). Lift, power tools whatever.

First off, I'd probably like to downgrade to a 33" or 285/75/16. I'd also like a 3" lift but don't want to pay 2 grand for one as it wont be used offroad too much. I was thinking Bilstein 5100's x 4 corners, and 3" progressive coils for the front so far. I have Topgun Customz 2-3.5" Short control arms since I needed to replace mine, all new front end parts (axle seals, wheel bearings/hub, all balljoints, T-bar steering upgrade, Track bar). Steering parts are mostly moog.

What else would I need? Do you couple level kit with the 3" coil springs? Or does that not work? Can I use a track bar bracket with my stock track bar? Let me know what you guys think

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hey guys

New here. Im looking for some info for my 97 cummins 4x4 truck. 3.55 gears, 5 speed. The truck came with 315/75/16 tires. No lift or leveling kit. They are just too large for me, rubbing if I am turning into a store entry way or small curbs/driveway.

I'm looking to buy new shocks, and springs. What should I do? I've never owned or lifted a truck myself although I have all the tools at my father automotive shop (he does stock cargo vans). Lift, power tools whatever.

First off, I'd probably like to downgrade to a 33" or 285/75/16. I'd also like a 3" lift but don't want to pay 2 grand for one as it wont be used offroad too much. I was thinking Bilstein 5100's x 4 corners, and 3" progressive coils for the front so far. I have Topgun Customz 2-3.5" Short control arms since I needed to replace mine, all new front end parts (axle seals, wheel bearings/hub, all balljoints, T-bar steering upgrade, Track bar). Steering parts are mostly moog.

What else would I need? Do you couple level kit with the 3" coil springs? Or does that not work? Can I use a track bar bracket with my stock track bar? Let me know what you guys think

From what I understand, with a leveling kit, you can clear those 35's on your rig.

3" lift you will need 3" lift springs, longer shocks, longer pitman arm, adjustable track bar (do this over a bracket, costs more but worth it. Brackets can rip from the axle, not good), new control arms for the front (proper length for 3" of lift) and add a leaves for the rear. I would not couple a lift spring and coil spacer, but it has been done in the past. There is a member here with a set-up like that. Keep in mind some companies do not offer warrenty or will void it if you do that. If you did that you need to build for a 5-5.5" front lift, not 3". Things start to change after that. Other than that your on the right track mano! Great upgrades youve done so far, totally jealous on the t-steering! Feel free to post pics! :D In fact Im gonna say you have to, and do before and after pics ;)

Last edited:

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Alot of the high end 2500 suspension companies sell their 3" springs as leveling kits with just shocks and sway bar drops
Alot of people run them that way without problems but I would feel more comfortable with an adjustable track bar at the least (control arms and pitman would be a good upgrade as well)
The lower cam bolts are known for seizing, Id recomend ordering a set from Spohn before you even try to tackle that job cause youll be cutting them off

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Alot of the high end 2500 suspension companies sell their 3" springs as leveling kits with just shocks and sway bar drops
Alot of people run them that way without problems but I would feel more comfortable with an adjustable track bar at the least (control arms and pitman would be a good upgrade as well)
The lower cam bolts are known for seizing, Id recomend ordering a set from Spohn before you even try to tackle that job cause youll be cutting them off

More great info there!

zspace 92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 318
hi noob here so i want to fit 315 /75 /16 on my 1998 dodge ram base model i already have a 3 body lift and aftermarket wheels with 305/70/16 i never have any rubbing i should be able to clear the 315 with just a 3 inch kit right ? thanks for your help

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hi noob here so i want to fit 315 /75 /16 on my 1998 dodge ram base model i already have a 3 body lift and aftermarket wheels with 305/70/16 i never have any rubbing i should be able to clear the 315 with just a 3 inch kit right ? thanks for your help

That should be fine clearance wise, I have the same set up as you and I would have plenty of clearance for 35s. However, that being said 35s will turn your truck into a slug without re-gearing the differential, not to mention the stress that 35s + 3.55 gears add to the transmission. The 305s are already stressing it enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

Rule of thumb is 5" of lift for 35's, though they can be cleared with wheels with the right backspacing on a 3".

That should be fine clearance wise, I have the same set up as you and I would have plenty of clearance for 35s. However, that being said 35s will turn your truck into a slug without re-gearing the differential, not to mention the stress that 35s + 3.55 gears add to the transmission. The 305s are already stressing it enough.

+1 to this.

zspace 92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 318
does the 3 body lift count in the 5 inch lift i need or not
i hope it wont be too bad my trucks is manual as a lot done to the motor (390 stroker ) and 4.10 gears

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Yes it does, you are after 5" total body and suspension. THe higher you go the worse the mpg will get.

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i hope it wont be too bad my trucks is manual as a lot done to the motor (390 stroker ) and 4.10 gears

The 4.10 gears are perfect for the 305s but 4.56s are what you'll want for 35s. If you throw them on there it will be like 33s on an axle with 3.55s.

zspace 92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 318
thanks looks like the 35 should fit
awesome :favorites13:

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The 4.10 gears are perfect for the 305s but 4.56s are what you'll want for 35s. If you throw them on there it will be like 33s on an axle with 3.55s.

Agreed. I had 35's on 4.10's, my opinion, it revved way to high out of overdrive and lugged to much in over drive. 4.56 is really necessary for that size tire.

thanks looks like the 35 should fit
awesome :favorites13:

Yup they will.