Lift Basics for 2nd gen 4x4 Rams

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
With the right triangulation it can be done, but lots of thought and lots of work
I think in most of those cases the vehicles are used for low speed crawling and such not necessarily a on-road vehicle

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
^^^ Yep thats what he is into rock head kinda guy. Me I have plans for the coil over's in the front using long arms, and just keeping the leafs in the back.

Amunique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.8L
I don't really know anything about leafs as my wrangler has coils... How are they for ride quality, towing, and articulation when properly done? Is it possible to achieve 14-18" of travel?

I know the Ram is not a rock crawling vehicle. However, for ruts and other deep obstacles high articulation to keep the tires on the ground is very important.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
^^^ Yep thats what he is into rock head kinda guy. Me I have plans for the coil over's in the front using long arms, and just keeping the leafs in the back.

I saw he mentioned towing with the truck which is the big reason I would advise against a three link

Hard to find the specs for 2nd gens but the skyjacker shock for a 4.5" lift in the rear has 11.125" stroke length so it'll be rather expensive to get that much travel

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
^^^ It not a combo I would do (towing), I had thought about 4 linking the rear but thats not for the street in my op. If your talking coilovers ya not cheap, up here about $600 per shock.

I have yet to flex my pig out with the new springs in the back but right now my shock is at 26" static, and that calls for a 34" open and 20" closed shock or 16" travel. I doubt it flexs that much lol, Bilstein 5100 shocks are not that bad thats what I am running all round for now. A well done rear leaf spring setup will work just fine.

Last edited:

Southern Pride

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gassed
Hey guys, So new to the whole lifting aspect of life.. So I have a few questions again that everyone asks all the time im sure..

But I bought a 97 ram 1500 with 5.9 and a 5in Suspension lift with 33in tires already installed, But im almost sure they didn't install any kind of Suspension pieces. Because the driver side front is about a inch from the driver side fender and of course the right side is about an inch closer to the bumper, right now the truck is sitting on 33`s

But Im wanting to take it to 34`s everything looks stock besides the shocks springs and the rest of the lift. What all do I need to really replace to make this sit right and get those 34s under there, also what gearing should I use? I plan on mudding it and using it as a daily driver also..

What ive gotten from the first post is I`ll need to change out the track bar and control arms will I also need to change out the front sway bar? im really unsure of what brand the lift kit is so im unsure what i should be buying and how long they need to be..

Ive herd that putting 34s under the truck you would need a Rim diameter of 8in i think? don't have the info in front of me anymore. So i might be wrong..

Any help would be awesome guys , right now the truck just rides terrible and is unsafe to drive..

gr8hntr

Reaction score
Ram Year
99 ram 2500
Engine
Gr8 thread !!!
New ram owner 99 2500 360
how can I tell if the front spring has been changed for taller or not ?
I just want to run 33's
thx

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Gr8 thread !!!
New ram owner 99 2500 360
how can I tell if the front spring has been changed for taller or not ?
I just want to run 33's
thx

A 2500 4wd should be able to fit 33's with no lift at all.

gr8hntr

Reaction score
Ram Year
99 ram 2500
Engine
nice
but is there any way to tell if the previous owner installed the larger springs up front ?
would like to do the small lift n 33's but dont want to buy it if PO already has done it to this truck

like how many rear springs n how big of block on rear should i see maybe that will tell me

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
nice
but is there any way to tell if the previous owner installed the larger springs up front ?
would like to do the small lift n 33's but dont want to buy it if PO already has done it to this truck

like how many rear springs n how big of block on rear should i see maybe that will tell me

Post up a photo of your truck so we can see it and comment on it about it having a lift or not.

As for how to tell about springs not without seeing them, rear springs can have as few as three and up to five plus over loads. I think the 2500 have four inch blocks in the rear.

MIKE177

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
got a question for you guys. I have a 97 2500 with a 360 in it and I believe it already has a leveling kit seeing that it well.....sits level lol. I have read in a few places where people have put 35"s with just a 2" level with enough back spacing. Can anyone confirm this? oh and also how do I tell what my gear ratio is? Thanks

SilverHoghead

Reaction score
Born and raised in Hendersonville, TN. University
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 Magnum
Goodness, it's been a long time since I've been on RF.

So when I graduated and moved off to school, I left the truck in the driveway with acover on it, instead driving my little v6 gas getter. I drive it at home (not sure what I miss more, the truck or the family :gr_grin: kidding) but all major plans have been shelved until this summer, when I'll be working an internship and putting the cash in my pocket to see my dreams through.

Now to the point. The first thing I'm going to do is add a few more inches of lift to my existing 5". I've done all of the research, I know what it would take to add it to the suspension--coil, long-arms, track bar, extreme pitman arm, new rear brakelines, AAL, basically a new kit--and now I'm at a crossroads. Are body lifts on these trucks REALLY that bad? How are the gaps/bumper positions/exhaust tips? I'm extremely anti-body lift, always have been, but when I have the change it's always been a dream to run a 38x13.50 with 20x12s. I know I could get the clearance with the body lift, but at what cost?

The truck is frequently off-road (when I'm at home that is), but never anything more serious than a rutted-out logging road or a muddy field when I'm hunting. No serious wheeling.

Rcr55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 magnum
so i was told 3 inches lift will be the limit if i want to keep from making more mods in my truck. ima install a 3 inch skyjacker lift kit. what else would i need? ofcourse shocks but any other suggestions?

Muddinginamopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
After reading just about every post on this thread, I've only seen it brought up once.... Brake lines. I'm assuming for a 5" lift, you'll need extended brake lines front and rear, right? I plan on putting one on at some point this summer, and want to get all my **** in order before I jump into something this major. I just plan on putting that and some 35x12.50 tires on. Thanks in advance.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yes, new brake lines are definitely recommended for a 5" lift especially if you're going to be flexing or off roading any.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yeppers.
You might PM Merc225hp for info regarding brake lines.

In other news, Merc225hp is apparently a word in FireFox. Who knew?