Lifter Tick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigbash

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey Everyone I have a 2020 Ram 1500 I've just got a Lifter tick that has started. I've read that I can try Seafoam to try and stop it. Is this something I should try or no? Thanks!
I personally would not try seafoam. I have a 2017 5.7 that started the "lifter tick" a couple months ago . It only ticked on drivers side and only until engine warmed. The problem ended up being that 3 exhaust manifold bolts broke the heads of the bolts. was a pain in the **** to fix but got the 3 broken bolts out of the head , replaced gasket and ALL the bolts on that side of engine and its good as new, no more ticking on startup . Hope this helps

HawkSERE

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Z, i would take to a trusted mechanic. Doesn't sound good whatever it is. Lifters tighten?

Zac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L ETorque
I use see foam once in a few months. And Gastrol Edge full syn 5W20. So far very quiet.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sound like multiple lifter tick, pull valve covers off and check for rocker arm travel.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a strange engine noise as well that the dealership diagnosed as lifter failure but they did not take anything apart to check. Can anyone listen to this and see what they think?? 245k miles on the engine 2015 ram express

Any missfires or issues? It sounds quiet to me alli hear is injectors sounds better then mine except for a few times heard a knock or something but that might be you moving your phone. I would check your pulleys and stay away from the dealer 100% no lifter noise there at least on the 2 vids you posted have someone else look at it.

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a strange engine noise as well that the dealership diagnosed as lifter failure but they did not take anything apart to check. Can anyone listen to this and see what they think?? 245k miles on the engine 2015 ram express

245K?? Wow!
I hear a little bit of a tap now and then but frankly nothing I'd worry about. If it sounded like the OP's truck then I'd be concerned.