Lifters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Huntress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Okay, Sooo. I had my nephew replace my lifters. He is supposed to be a mechanic? Two head gaskets and two sets of head bolts later. He tells me my pickup is only running on 2 to 3 cylinders now? I am not a mechanic, but have watched 100's of videos after the hemi tick started. Now he is telling me I need to buy new lifters again, gaskets again, head bolts again, oil again. My question is What the heck did he do to cause cylinder issues. I have a small understanding on cylinder loss. I was going to do it myself, but being a 57 year old lady. do not have the tools to do this. So I'm thinking he didn't torque the bolts correctly, or the push pins were not put back correctly. He's telling me it is because the new lifters I bought were cheap. He is quoting me 1200.00 for OEM lifters alone.
What are your thoughts on this.

Last edited:

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So many possibilities of a screwup.
Even cheap lifters should work initially.

Have him do a compression test to see what the compression is.

OP
OP
T

The Huntress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That is exactly what I thought, about the lifters.

He told me my cams looked good.

Last edited:

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You don't mention replacing the camshaft.
Why would you replace the lifters and not the cam? Is the cam still in perfect condition?

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ask him,
If I get the good lifters, gaskets, bolts, oil are you giving me a 100% guarantee that it will run correctly? And if it needs anything else you will pay for it out of your pocket?

That will let you know how confident he is. This is why it sucks to have family do work for you.

OP
OP
T

The Huntress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Right, it can cause family headaches. I did ask him, " What happens if it doesn't fix the problem, what then?" He assured me it would. But never really answered my question. Ugh. So next time I speak with him I will pose your question to him.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
He could of done anything however make sure the he checks if the push rods are in all the way and all the rockers move. Common thing is people put them in the wrong hole or they are not clicked in all the way happens every time i work on a hemi they are pain in the ass. Did the truck missfire before it was worked on? what made hange the lifters?

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Okay, Sooo. I had my nephew replace my lifters. He is supposed to be a mechanic? Two head gaskets and two sets of head bolts later. He tells me my pickup is only running on 2 to 3 cylinders now? I am not a mechanic, but have watched 100's of videos after the hemi tick started. Now he is telling me I need to buy new lifters again, gaskets again, head bolts again, oil again. My question is What the heck did he do to cause cylinder issues. I have a small understanding on cylinder loss. I was going to do it myself, but being a 57 year old lady. do not have the tools to do this. So I'm thinking he didn't torque the bolts correctly, or the push pins were not put back correctly. He's telling me it is because the new lifters I bought were cheap. He is quoting me 1200.00 for OEM lifters alone.
What are your thoughts on this.
Mmmm...my thoughts are to get a new nephew... lol...
But seriously, great advice in this thread.

However, at some point you may need to seek out an engine person who has experience with the HEMI 5.7 and knows all its nuances surrounding the tick and how to properly inspect, diagnose, and remedy it.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
I've read so much on this cam/lifter replacement that I know that I'll replace all the lifters along with a new cam if and when my HEMI bites the dust.

I've also read where folks only replaced a few worn lifters or only one side leaving the cam in because "it looks ok" and then had to go back and tear into the engine again replacing it as well as reinstalling new lifters.

Some "backyard shade mechanics" don't realize that where push rods come out they have to go back in the same place being that they are not the same in length and putting a few of them in the wrong "hole" is going to cause another or more problems.

It's best, if you don't know what you doing, have an certified experienced automotive mechanic you can trust to do the repair.

And, welcome to RAMforum.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
These days it's basically luck of the draw on whether you get a good set of lifters or not.He might have done everything properly,but if you happened to be one of the unlucky ones and got a dud set of lifters,you're going to have issues,especially if you bought a cheaper or off brand set of lifters. 9 times out 10 the camshaft should be replaced at the same time as the lifters are replaced.

OP
OP
T

The Huntress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
He said one of the lifter was collapsed and another two were on the verge.
The truck ran fine, no misfires to my knowledge could be detected when I drove or on start-up. The manifold tick sound did quite down after warm up. The only sound left was the lifters. which was significant. He said he had trouble with one of the push rods not seating properly, which he said was because of the new gasket was not made correctly. (smile) well I wont go down that rabbit hole. Fine I buy another gasket. So I think he might have got the rods wrong. When I asked him if he replaced the rods exactly the way they came out, he said he had put them in cardboard and were all marked. I asked him if he thought the I needed new push rods, he told me that I probably do now? At least I have my knee pads on because this hill I am going down is a bit rough....LOL.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The truck ran fine, no misfires to my knowledge could be detected when I drove or on start-up. The manifold tick sound did quite down after warm up. The only sound left was the lifters. which was significant. He said he had trouble with one of the push rods not seating properly, which he said was because of the new gasket was not made correctly. (smile) well I wont go down that rabbit hole. Fine I buy another gasket. So I think he might have got the rods wrong. When I asked him if he replaced the rods exactly the way they came out, he said he had put them in cardboard and were all marked. I asked him if he thought the I needed new push rods, he told me that I probably do now? At least I have my knee pads on because this hill I am going down is a bit rough....LOL.
Do not let him do the work stop what you are doing find someone else just let em down easy he has alot to learn it appears your fighting a losing battle here lol.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'm glad you still have a good sense of humour through this ordeal :waytogo: :Big Laugh: I quit working on my relatives vehicles years ago,it wasn't worth the headaches or hardships it could cause. My in-laws were the worst,and even my wife would get mad at her siblings and parents,and tell them where to go ,when they'd get mad at me for telling them to take it to a shop:Big Laugh:

Last edited:

Snoopy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is a waste of money to just throw lifters at it. At very least you should have done Cam/Lifters, push rods, timing chain, gears, all bolts gaskets and new Hellcat oil pump and water pump.
This is a very expensive project that needs to be done correctly.
I am sorry you wound up with a mess.

Shepherdguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i noticed there is no mention as to what engine this is, or whether or not it uses Multi Displacement System. If is does use MDS, it makes a HUGE difference on whether the right lifters were installed in the right locations. Also, as someone else already mentioned, the push rods can easily be placed in the wrong locations or not properly seated or clicked into place, causing the push rods to slip out from under rocker arms. Just something to think about in case your issue has not been resolved yet.